m1c
Participant
@m1c

hi

i know theres no correct answer to this but id settle for ‘best guess’ based on experince.

how long would it take to have a tattoo starting from your shoulder to halfway down your muscle (quarter sleeve style, about same as t-shirt sleeve rather than just above the elbow) all in black and white, wrapped around the arm. roughly like 6 inch deep from top of shoulder, 15 inch width around the arm.

very vague i know, but best guess if possible please!! been quoted 2 very different prices so far.

cheers

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Time = 3 hours to 30 hours

Way to many variables there

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

could be what buttwheat said

depends on the artist, the detail etc

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

As said depends on what you are having done. Fine detail takes longer than than a solid fill.

My advice is save up for the top end of the qoutes. That way you can afford whatever artist you like without cutting corners.

Your ink is an investment for life so don’t let money be the issue.

Take care
Matthew

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Maybe another way of looking at it, is what is the minimum time. I think that would be about 4 hrs and depending on you (how fidgety you are) your skin, the tattoo artist and we haven’t even considered the design. Then do the consultations (please don’t just get flash from the wall) over the design take time that normally weeks before the actual tattoo. The best is go choose your tattooist and they will be able to give you guide to how long. Think very carefully over a 1/4 sleeve. It’s a fair assumption that you have little or no ink thus far. You will be amazed how you want it to grows best make the design so it can be extended.

Hylland
Participant
@hylland

I agree with bluey. At least 4 hours. And that’s a real basic design with the artist putting a reasonable amount of effort into it.

Amok
Participant
@amok

don’t be put off by the price quote (unless the artist is not that great). Its worth spending the extra for a better tattoo as it will be with you for the rest of your life. Go for the best artist you can find in your area.

m1c
Participant
@m1c

thanks for the replys.

will be going to my localish one tomorrow to see what they say. had a little one done on my shoulder 10+ years ago, always wished it was larger! but cant remember how long that one took etc. did email the design to a couple of people in my area, quotes from £150 to £400 have come up! i wont pay the most expensive purely on the basis that i dont agree with the ‘more you pay the better it is’ that some people seem to go by in here.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Smart move I was going to offer to do it for $1,000,000 and I have never held a tattoo machine! The best way is to have a look at the artists work preferably along the same style of work you are after. If a number are equal go with whoever you most comfortable with. Naturally the correct sterilisation germ control must be in place.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

To clear up the ambiguiety on costs. You are correctjust because a person charges a certain price doesn’t always translate into great work.

However that is where artist research and portfolio searching comes into it.

As a rule of thumb you will be looking at a min of £65 p/h for an established artist to work on you. Obviously this can be much highter £100 p/h, £150 p/h, £200 p/h and beyond.

It depends on how ‘famous’ the artist is in most cases if you want an artist who does the celebrity types expect to pay double the going rate.

The other argument is that somebody may offer to do it for £40 and a pack of beer if they are just starting out.

The key argument is – if you find an artist who you really love their work then get their work despite the cost – it is what you love not what it costs otherwise permanent regret on your body.

Example with regards to my backpiece it cost me 3 grand (including a nice tip) and I don’t regret a penny of it. I love the work and going back to the artist for a leg piece this saturday.

I keep hearing ppl who say they would have done it for half that price. Truth is I didn’t love their work enough to want it on me for life. Not their fault I am damn fussy on my ink preferences and art styes.

If my artist had said 5k for the backpiece I prob would have paid it as it was the ‘one’ for me on that piece.

If it is cheaper that is a bonus but if you have £500 in your pocket the choice is easy you can afford who ever you want and if you have more left over bonus – go bigger!

Take care
Matthew

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

If I had to guess the time, I’d say you are looking at around 5 hours

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.