anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Just curious who you guys think are some of the best B&G artists in the east (let’s say Ohio and east of there). In particular, I’m interested in the more creative guys rather than the guys who do replication (e.g. portraits).

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Check out Steven Christman at Hyperion Tattoo in Buffalo. He’s pretty rad.

f1b31fca.jpg

f5187680.jpg

0860c486.jpg

5c3029b0.jpg

29ca37f8.jpg

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

hard to pick a “best” but there are a lot of great b/g artists in the east. paul booth, bob tyrell, tom renshaw, caesar, etc etc.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Tyrell and Booth seem unreachable unless you’re a celeb. I would love to get a piece by Renshaw … wonder how often he strays from the wildlife theme. Caesar .. I don’t know why I didn’t think of him – thanks. 🙂 I’m going to check out Steven Christman’s portfolio now.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

http://www.hyperiontattoo.com

There’s not much on the website as far as a portfolio but I work with the guy/he’s teaching me how to tattoo. I know what he’s capable of and I’ve seen some amazing stuff that he hasn’t even taken pictures of. His style is heavily influenced by Tommy Lee Wendtner. He’s easily the best black and grey artist in Western New York.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
D3FiANC3;92489 wrote:
Tyrell and Booth seem unreachable unless you’re a celeb. I would love to get a piece by Renshaw … wonder how often he strays from the wildlife theme. Caesar .. I don’t know why I didn’t think of him – thanks. 🙂 I’m going to check out Steven Christman’s portfolio now.

No knock to booth, but to me he isnt worth the 400/hr he charges. Shit no one is to me, except maybe shige or horiyoshi iii. I also dont like how he makes u sign your soul to the devil. I know its in good fun but still…

ArniVidar
@arnividar
yodaddynukka;92520 wrote:
I know its in good fun but still…

That’s what he wants you to think…

Adler
Participant
@adler

I might be biased but I still think Shane O”Neill is one of the best B/G artists and I also like the guy who works with him, Steve Wimmer. Chris Adamek is pretty damn good too.

http://www.stevewimmer.com/tattoos/index.html

Adler
Participant
@adler
yodaddynukka;92520 wrote:
No knock to booth, but to me he isnt worth the 400/hr he charges. Shit no one is to me, except maybe shige or horiyoshi iii. I also dont like how he makes u sign your soul to the devil. I know its in good fun but still…

I agree, there’s no way I’d pay anyone $400/hr. I’m even very reluctant to pay the $200/hr that most NY artists now charge.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I think Steve charges $100 an hour.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I should have specified NY city.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I would pay $400 an hour if he is smoking fast. Say if they bust out a large tattoo in 2 to 2 1/2 hours that is pretty reasonable to me. For my Phantom of the Opera piece Fat charged me his pre quoted price of $800 and he did it in something like 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I was happy with the price even if it was close to $300 an hour. We were next to Bob Tyrell and while he is simply amazing he is slow as hell, He was working on a small to medium tattoo for over 6 hours and was still working on it when they were kicking everyone out.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
Adler;92524 wrote:
I might be biased but I still think Shane O”Neill is one of the best B/G artists and I also like the guy who works with him, Steve Wimmer. Chris Adamek is pretty damn good too.

Shane oneil and adamek i strongly agree. Havent checked out wimmer.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
buttwheat;92536 wrote:
I would pay $400 an hour if he is smoking fast. Say if they bust out a large tattoo in 2 to 2 1/2 hours that is pretty reasonable to me. For my Phantom of the Opera piece Fat charged me his pre quoted price of $800 and he did it in something like 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I was happy with the price even if it was close to $300 an hour. We were next to Bob Tyrell and while he is simply amazing he is slow as hell, He was working on a small to medium tattoo for over 6 hours and was still working on it when they were kicking everyone out.

I see what u mean. Tyrell is legendary for being slow. He took 12hrs once on a skull on someones hand. That is nuts. Plus tyrell charges per hour.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Adler;92524 wrote:

Shane is awesome; I just haven’t seen him do much outside of portraits. Steve is really good also, but in terms of B&G, I don’t think I’ve seen him do much outside of portraits either. Chris is a very good all-around artist and I definitely plan on going to him for some work in the future, though I’m not totally sold on his B&G ability compared to Shane and Steve.

You know, since you mentioned it though, I think I will at least contact Shane and see what he thinks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.