koriwhat
@

Hey guys, new here, first post.

I’ve been enjoying lurking here, a lot of great artists and ideas.

I would like to get an honest opinion from everybody here, no sugar coating. I’ve been doing this for about a year now, I think I have improved a lot, but some of my friends and people from other forums that I post on think otherwise, and some have gone far enough to say that I’m not good.

What do you guys think of my work? Be honest please, I want to know if I should pursue this or not. Where can I improve? I figure this would be a great place to ask, with all the enthusiasts and experts here.

Thanks

mcqbdd.jpg

6i5u9i.jpg

5926203170_184ac86dbc_m.jpg

5906899554_5eba179628_m.jpg

Amok
Participant
@amok

I’m no expert, but it seems like you have potential to me, stick with it a learn as much as you can.

The trouble with asking opinions is that people will compare you to the best artists in the game, and you can’t expect to be at that level after 1 year.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Drop the tattoo machine and start learning about art and drawing. Pick up a pencil and draw.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller
buttwheat;94021 wrote:
Drop the tattoo machine and start learning about art and drawing. Pick up a pencil and draw.

Ditto.

It’s a long, hard road to be self taught. Work on the art side, drawing, painting. Stop working on people. If you really feel the need, continue to do the grapefruit thing. Just stop working on people, a bad name never goes away.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Become really good at drawing and when you post some of your drawing’s online and people give the reaction of “truly amazing work man, you would have no problem getting a apprenteship” then that’s the time to start thinking ahead of a pencil.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I retract my previous statement. This guy is a fuckwad.
Copied from another forum.

more about this fuckwad……..

what a fucking train wreck in the making…..

Re: tattoo’n

i’m no one’s apprentice… all at home and learning on my own.

just got done tattooing a portrait of ginobili on a grapefruit, but once i wiped the shit off it looked all fucked up. tattooing on grapefruit sucks!

shit seems cool but after a while the grapefruit’s skin starts getting white blotches in it that ruins the artwork. man, if only i knew some dumbasses who would let me practice on them and in return they’d get free tats. oh well…

been talking to this shop for the past week about coming in to apprentice and finally they accepted my hours but… i ended up signing up for my last semester to get my associates the other day and well, shit’s all fucked up with that shop now. oh well…

just gonna keep tattooing fruit it seems… any of you maverick fans want a tattoo? i’m tattooing FRUITS!

atm i am just trying to learn whatever but i def want to specialize in b&g and full color portraits… i hate flash art and have no interest in it whatsoever, however i will practice flash art in order to get my line work and shading down but that’s not the direction i want to head in.

ok, so skin is crazy compared to fruit to tattoo on but it’s not all that hard. the only problem so far that i’ve had was reminding myself that tattoo’s are supposed to somewhat hurt and not to stop when your client flinches, also to stick that needle in a bit more and make sure the ink sticks.

so far i’ve done an outline on a new tattoo for a friend and am working on a cover up on the same friend. shit is getting cool! i’m really enjoying this shit tremendously.

btw, quiting my pos day job on the 4th. good riddance male secretary title! have fun mavkrew!

=====================

it’d be cool to make tattooing a living but at the moment it’s just a hobby i am looking forward to perfecting and learning all i can about it.

=====================

btw, in a month or two when i finally get my autoclave i might be looking for others to tattoo for free, i’ll let you know!

ok so that was a total disaster! holy shit!

if you thought my legs looked funny before with the spurs on them, you don’t even know.

i got stupid and too eager to tat myself and well, i went for it on the side of my lower leg and didn’t get far at all. the pain of tattooing had nothing to do with me quitting on the tattoo, the awkwardness of trying to tattoo a place on my body not easily accessible was the culprit. now i have just a few lines here and there that look totally ridiculous.

guess it’s time to call a friend of mine and have him fix this shit. had i done the tattoo on the other side of my leg i probably could’ve done it proper.

damn me and my no patience ass! fuck!

ps: don’t ask for photos because it ain’t happening!

i’m confident enough these days to tattoo myself but god damnit did i pick the wrong place to do so this time. you live and learn and then you get your friend to fix your mistakes….

======

just got done tatting the inside of my leg(side calf haha) with the design i was going to do on the outside of my leg last week. shit came out pretty legit, just gotta fix a bit of line work up and shade it in but i’m going to wait til next week or 2 wks from now to do that.

the real test will be shading this portrait in… holy hell does this shit hurt right now and it didn’t hurt one bit while i was tatting up my leg. damn!

=============

since buying my new machines, this shit has become way too easy… my old machines were from a kit so the quality was bunk and the needles would bounce around which made me feel like i had no control over how crisp my lines would come out. i could barely throw a good line down before, but now shit just feels like regular ass drawing to me. (still haven’t apprenticed anywhere, fuck it!)

==============

btw, the ocean tattoo is for a close friend and the price hasn’t been quite set yet. we’re going small piece by piece and i’m charging him per item until the entire 1/2 leg piece is completed. probably a couple hundred when it should be a thousand or more.

no one allows me to do realistic stuff except this dude, so he gets a good price cut on work. i fuckin’ hate sailor jerry flash bullshit, thank god i haven’t had to do any of that shit yet!just got done tatting the inside of my leg(side calf haha) with the design i was going to do on the outside of my leg last week. shit came out pretty legit, just gotta fix a bit of line work up and shade it in but i’m going to wait til next week or 2 wks from now to do that.

====

thanks man! i take this shit very seriously considering i’ve finally found my calling… well this and screenprinting.

my clip-cord went out on me, fuckin’ cheap shit. i didn’t get to shade this at all; guess it’s time to run to the supply shop. damn that place is so far away!

sea turtle outlined…

i think we might be adding a scuba diver in there, possibly opening a treasure chest, but we’re not sure yet. i can see the coloring and composition already but it’s going to be a while before i color this piece, a long while at that. probably going to get this whole piece done before the end of this or next month except for the coloring.

unless you consider “sailor jerry” shit to be art, then yes, i am better than most already, most who have spent a yr or more apprenticing. i’ve had no formal training except videos and trial & error (less error and more trial tbh).

god damn i hate “sailor jerry” pos pieces, that shit is all over the place in SA.

like i said, let’s see you freehand some shit, let’s see you tattoo with no training and see how much you tear someone up and infect them. you can talk all you want but reality is, you probably possess none of the talent i have and will never possess 1% no matter how much you try but keep talking, it’s very amusing.
========

if you’re serious, i am dead serious about tattooing and trying my best to do a professional job at a very reasonable rate. now if you’re not serious, there’s the exit door.

i travel and tattoo at my friend’s houses but i will not be willing to do that with you or anyone else i meet off the internet so you’d have to meet up with me. i ain’t into getting jacked, it is what it is.

==============

Originally Posted by thispego

Don’t you have to be licensed or something to tatoo?
it’s a possibility…

“We require any business which is in the practice of producing an indelible mark or figure on the human body by scarring or inserting pigments under the skin using needles, scalpels, or other related equipment to license with the Texas Department of Health.”//////////

i’m not a business, just an individual who is still learning.

everything i use is disposable except the machine itself which i bag and wipe down with green soap + alcohol after every tattoo

==============

Originally Posted by DoK

I doubt the tattoo industry is heavily regulated tbh. The only way a tattoo artist can probably get in major trouble is giving a minor a tattoo without parental consent. ////

i actually would lay claim that this is very very true. i have seen some horrible nasty ass tattoo shops before, down right disgusting work environments tbh.

i’m actually thinking about investing in a rv type traveling tattoo shop in the near future because i really don’t care for the elitest bs that is in this field. everyone competes with each other and they’re mostly all a bunch of dicks, plus they’re all uptight about calling a tattoo machine a gun or calling tattoo’s tat’s… i couldn’t care less as long as i’m getting paid.

another month or two and they won’t be so discounted tbh… i’m rapidly improving since purchasing 2 new machines. my old machines were complete shit and were definitely holding me back.

what exactly are you looking to get?

did a great dragon tattoo on a friend yesterday, it looks killer!””//////////////

now i’m working on a realistic heart design for a friend’s friend… dude wants some script to accompany the heart. never realized how hard script is. at the moment, i am just practicing my lettering on some paper but damn these swirls and eccentrics.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Sounds like a champ

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

woah. Can i book in for a tattoo with you please mate?

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

One phrase says it all.

“i couldn’t care less as long as i’m getting paid.”

That’s why this guy is an asshole.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

By the way, I’ve been APPRENTICING for about 10 months now. I’ve been tattooing for two of those months. My tattoos are waaaaaaaaay better than the crap you’re putting on people after your year of trying it out. You know why? Because I’m being taught by professionals.

duoge
Participant
@duoge

I’m no expert, but it seems like you have potential to me, stick with it a learn as much as you can.

The trouble with asking opinions is that people will compare you to the best artists in the game, I want book in for a tattoo with you please mate.and you can’t expect to be at that level after 1 year.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
duoge;94086 wrote:
I’m no expert

You can say that again.

Adler
Participant
@adler
duoge;94086 wrote:

The trouble with asking opinions is that people will compare you to the best artists in the game, I want book in for a tattoo with you please mate.and you can’t expect to be at that level after 1 year.

Sorry but you’re the type of person that keeps dangerous, no talent home scratchers in business. What you just did was to encourage a talentless scumbag to continue to practice on people from his home or mobile tattoo shop without any formal training. Please stick around so you can learn what a good tattoo actually looks like, and better yet about the importance of getting tattooed in a professional, sterile environment from a professional artist . Unfortunately too many people don’t know what a good tattoo is and would rather drop $50 to get a shitty tattoo than to spend more money on something safe and good. This shit just pisses me off. And to put down Sailor Jerry, that did it for me!

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw
DavidJednat;94075 wrote:
By the way, I’ve been APPRENTICING for about 10 months now. I’ve been tattooing for two of those months. My tattoos are waaaaaaaaay better than the crap you’re putting on people after your year of trying it out. You know why? Because I’m being taught by professionals.

Anywhere near Florida? I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo from an apprentice. I guess it’s giving back to the community.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Sorry dude. I’m way up here in Buffalo. Thanks anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.