Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Well i do eventually want to be a tattoo artist. I know i am a very long way off apprentiship standard but practice makes perfect.

These are some simple drawings what i just sketched up today just want peoples opinions on how i can improve etc..

Please be honest i don’t care if it’s negative i will not get offended if anything it will help me.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

How long have you been drawing? I used to draw a lot as a teen and even won 1st place at a fair back in So. Cali. But now I’m back to drawing again after 10 years. I have a long way to go before I get back to the way I used to draw. It takes time, and there’s always room for improvement. Your drawings are pretty good, some lines here and there that you need to watch out for, it’s kind of like you’re heavy handed in some areas. Don’t rush, take your time.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

The general outlines of the subjects are ok, but the line work is very rough and the shading looks almost random. The line work shoudl come with practice but the shading is something you will likely have to learn in a more formal setting.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

thanks for the replies and not been drawing long but ill be practicing alot to follow my dream!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Hey Wardy. I think your stuff has real potential. I’ve seen a lot of people who can’t draw and never will be able to, but you’re not one of them. Not if you really apply yourself. A couple suggestions. Take classes if you can, they can really help you improve quickly. Read books on drawing. Also tons of great info, and if you’re broke you can still find some books at the library. Also, the main thing that has helped me improve my skills has been finding artwork that really gives me a hard-on and trying my best to recreate it exactly. If you don’t get excited when something is really coming together, or if you’ve never looked at a drawing or painting and thought, “Holy shit that is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen! I HAVE to draw that!” then put down your pencil and forget it. Passion is the single most important aspect of any kind of art. I like what you have so far, though. Keep drawing, keep studying, and work on your control and hand strength. Below are a few exercises that will help with both. Do them for a total of about five minutes every day, and you’ll find yourself improving quickly! Post more as you grow!

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy
D3FiANC3;89423 wrote:
The general outlines of the subjects are ok, but the line work is very rough and the shading looks almost random. The line work shoudl come with practice but the shading is something you will likely have to learn in a more formal setting.

i agree on the shading part… but shading can be very difficult to master. we learned in art class by putting shapes under a lamp and drawing the same objects from different angles. its god practice when workin with shadows.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Dave Van;89425 wrote:
Hey Wardy. I think your stuff has real potential. I’ve seen a lot of people who can’t draw and never will be able to, but you’re not one of them. Not if you really apply yourself. A couple suggestions. Take classes if you can, they can really help you improve quickly. Read books on drawing. Also tons of great info, and if you’re broke you can still find some books at the library. Also, the main thing that has helped me improve my skills has been finding artwork that really gives me a hard-on and trying my best to recreate it exactly. If you don’t get excited when something is really coming together, or if you’ve never looked at a drawing or painting and thought, “Holy shit that is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen! I HAVE to draw that!” then put down your pencil and forget it. Passion is the single most important aspect of any kind of art. I like what you have so far, though. Keep drawing, keep studying, and work on your control and hand strength. Below are a few exercises that will help with both. Do them for a total of about five minutes every day, and you’ll find yourself improving quickly! Post more as you grow!

thanks dude means allot!! I do get excited about art work, and i am starting a art course in September to improve my art and also will be studying allot of books like you said. Thanks so much for the positive reply mate.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I agree with Dave, it’s a passion. I get excited about finishing a drawing up and looking at it when it’s all finished. When I was younger I would look at something and just draw it, really didn’t matter what it was.

I’ll have to upload a couple sketches I did.

Oh and with shading, when drawing it’s kind of an experiment but I’ve found the best way to do shading. I don’t know if any artists do this but I’ve been doing this for a long time. You basically just rub the side of your pencil tip lightly to the area you want shaded in the shape you want, don’t worry about going over lines cause that’s what erasers are for 😉 and then take 1 or 2 fingers and just start rubbing gently. You can manipulate how dark and soft you want your shading. I taught myself this by accident long ago lol.

I’ve never taken an art class so I wouldn’t know if other people do this as well.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

To answer your question- you have a long way to go. You are young though and have your whole life to refine your skills. There is lots of good advise in the previous comments so pay attention to it. I’m 32 and got my apprenticeship back in October. I had been working on my drawings and paintings and getting tattooed and getting advice from local artists since I was 20 years old. It takes time and dedication. Make absolutely sure that it is what you want to do with the rest of your life.

You can learn alot by tracing. Find photos of real skulls, roses, birds, etc… Trace them and then shade everything like you see in the photos. Learn how things are put together. Break things down into shapes and build off of the basic shapes into a finished drawing. A skull is basically a sphere rammed into a small cylinder with some holes in it. Take courses in drawing, painting, sculpture, and design.

Tattooing is always growing as an artform and clients are expecting more and more all the time. Don’t limit yourself to only tattoo related art. Tattoo artists these days are fine artists in their own right. Everyone at my shop has a degree in fine arts and the work shows. New artists these days have big shoes to fill. Are you up for the task?

Panthen
Participant
@panthen

Drop the designs and baseless insect drawings and take up life art study. You’re trying to draw things you don’t have basics for and it’s only going to develop bad habits.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I don’t mean to jack the OP’s thread lol… Here’s a couple sketches I did this year for the first time after 10 years. These are the first 2, hope to have more this year. As you can see, I have a lot of things I need to relearn. The bamboo and trees I copied from 3 different pictures and made it my own. The koi fish is just plain, you can find generic koi fish pictures and copy them. The scales are a bitch!! I gave up at the tail and just shaded it in a little lol.

Like I said, it’s going to take some time to get back on track, but these are good practice pieces for me. I’m still working on them little by little. 🙂

sketch2ez.jpg
sketch1.jpg

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Imperial start your own thread dude.
Wardy if your serious do yourself a favor and look into taking some art classes then draw all you can.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Davidjednat and Panthen have some awesome, awesome advice as well, Wardy. I started a little sculpting about a year ago and it kinda catapulted my drawing skills, so absorb, absorb, absorb. Everything you do, everything you see, if you try to look at it from an artist’s perspective, will only make you better. I agree wholeheartedly with Davidjednat’s statement that tattooing has achieved fine art status. I have seen tattoos that far and away absolutely destroy a lot of gallery work. Also, tattoo art is not limited to any one genre or style or concept or anything! I believe that it is the most versatile, most viable art form in existence. Sorry to get all long winded, but the possibilities and the talent and creative evolution that exists within this medium is, in my opinion, one of the most powerful influences in the art arena today. I could go on, but ’nuff said for one night. Later!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
buttwheat;89464 wrote:
Imperial start your own thread dude.
Wardy if your serious do yourself a favor and look into taking some art classes then draw all you can.

already sorted that out dude, start in september ! 😀

xxspeakxx
Participant
@xxspeakxx

Your line work needs some work, as well as your shading, but it’s a good start.

I’m looking to become an tattoo artist as well and what has really helped me improve my art skills is solid research on drawing techniques and practice. There are plenty of youtube videos and websites that will teach you how drawing techniques. I also have a couple of college books on the subject that I’ll give you the names of if you want.

A helpful hint in learning proper shading techniques is to download images of what you want to draw, remove all the color, and increase the contrast. This will help you see how they’re shaded as well as how the shading helps the image look more 3D.

Something else I would recommend is drawing with ink instead of pencil. This takes A LOT of practice but it will help prepare you. Just like in a tattoo you can’t erase ink.

Best of luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.