Wardy
Participant
    @wardy

Well i do eventually want to be a tattoo artist. I know i am a very long way off apprentiship standard but practice makes perfect.

These are some simple drawings what i just sketched up today just want peoples opinions on how i can improve etc..

Please be honest i don’t care if it’s negative i will not get offended if anything it will help me.

Are you going to bark all day little doggy or are you going to bite?
imperial1904
Participant
    @imperial1904

How long have you been drawing? I used to draw a lot as a teen and even won 1st place at a fair back in So. Cali. But now I’m back to drawing again after 10 years. I have a long way to go before I get back to the way I used to draw. It takes time, and there’s always room for improvement. Your drawings are pretty good, some lines here and there that you need to watch out for, it’s kind of like you’re heavy handed in some areas. Don’t rush, take your time.

anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous

The general outlines of the subjects are ok, but the line work is very rough and the shading looks almost random. The line work shoudl come with practice but the shading is something you will likely have to learn in a more formal setting.

Wardy
Participant
    @wardy

thanks for the replies and not been drawing long but ill be practicing alot to follow my dream!

Are you going to bark all day little doggy or are you going to bite?
Dave Van
Participant
    @dave-van

Hey Wardy. I think your stuff has real potential. I’ve seen a lot of people who can’t draw and never will be able to, but you’re not one of them. Not if you really apply yourself. A couple suggestions. Take classes if you can, they can really help you improve quickly. Read books on drawing. Also tons of great info, and if you’re broke you can still find some books at the library. Also, the main thing that has helped me improve my skills has been finding artwork that really gives me a hard-on and trying my best to recreate it exactly. If you don’t get excited when something is really coming together, or if you’ve never looked at a drawing or painting and thought, “Holy shit that is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen! I HAVE to draw that!” then put down your pencil and forget it. Passion is the single most important aspect of any kind of art. I like what you have so far, though. Keep drawing, keep studying, and work on your control and hand strength. Below are a few exercises that will help with both. Do them for a total of about five minutes every day, and you’ll find yourself improving quickly! Post more as you grow!

Ignorance should be painful.
DOJAGUY
Participant
    @dojaguy
D3FiANC3;89423 wrote:
The general outlines of the subjects are ok, but the line work is very rough and the shading looks almost random. The line work shoudl come with practice but the shading is something you will likely have to learn in a more formal setting.

i agree on the shading part… but shading can be very difficult to master. we learned in art class by putting shapes under a lamp and drawing the same objects from different angles. its god practice when workin with shadows.

Wardy
Participant
    @wardy
Dave Van;89425 wrote:
Hey Wardy. I think your stuff has real potential. I’ve seen a lot of people who can’t draw and never will be able to, but you’re not one of them. Not if you really apply yourself. A couple suggestions. Take classes if you can, they can really help you improve quickly. Read books on drawing. Also tons of great info, and if you’re broke you can still find some books at the library. Also, the main thing that has helped me improve my skills has been finding artwork that really gives me a hard-on and trying my best to recreate it exactly. If you don’t get excited when something is really coming together, or if you’ve never looked at a drawing or painting and thought, “Holy shit that is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen! I HAVE to draw that!” then put down your penc