Wardy
Participant
@wardy
xxspeakxx;89835 wrote:
Your line work needs some work, as well as your shading, but it’s a good start.

I’m looking to become an tattoo artist as well and what has really helped me improve my art skills is solid research on drawing techniques and practice. There are plenty of youtube videos and websites that will teach you how drawing techniques. I also have a couple of college books on the subject that I’ll give you the names of if you want.

A helpful hint in learning proper shading techniques is to download images of what you want to draw, remove all the color, and increase the contrast. This will help you see how they’re shaded as well as how the shading helps the image look more 3D.

Something else I would recommend is drawing with ink instead of pencil. This takes A LOT of practice but it will help prepare you. Just like in a tattoo you can’t erase ink.

Best of luck.

that would be great for the names of them books dude! thanks

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy
DavidJednat;89444 wrote:
To answer your question- you have a long way to go. You are young though and have your whole life to refine your skills. There is lots of good advise in the previous comments so pay attention to it. I’m 32 and got my apprenticeship back in October. I had been working on my drawings and paintings and getting tattooed and getting advice from local artists since I was 20 years old. It takes time and dedication. Make absolutely sure that it is what you want to do with the rest of your life.

You can learn alot by tracing. Find photos of real skulls, roses, birds, etc… Trace them and then shade everything like you see in the photos. Learn how things are put together. Break things down into shapes and build off of the basic shapes into a finished drawing. A skull is basically a sphere rammed into a small cylinder with some holes in it. Take courses in drawing, painting, sculpture, and design.

Tattooing is always growing as an artform and clients are expecting more and more all the time. Don’t limit yourself to only tattoo related art. Tattoo artists these days are fine artists in their own right. Everyone at my shop has a degree in fine arts and the work shows. New artists these days have big shoes to fill. Are you up for the task?

THIS WAS A GREAT SUGGESTION, however i suggest going to michaels or another art supply store and getting some pencils. different shades of blacks and greys. they usually have a set. not colored ones just the graytones

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
DOJAGUY;89879 wrote:
THIS WAS A GREAT SUGGESTION, however i suggest going to michaels or another art supply store and getting some pencils. different shades of blacks and greys. they usually have a set. not colored ones just the graytones

yeah im planning to dude when i get payed on the 1st of July can’t wait haha, going to get loads of the shit i need to get practicing!

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

BUY THIS DAMN BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Light-Shade-Practical-Books/dp/0823015815

clay1680
@

out of all my drawing courses i have taken in the past 5 yrs i absoultly learned the most and gained the most knwoledge about drawing in Life Drawing courses. this helps with seeing shapes of objects not what you percieve something to look like. and makes you concentrate on really studying the thing your drawing and has greatly improved my art. so definately sign up for a few life drawing classes. also look up blind contour drawings this helps a lot with studying the shape and form of the object your drawing.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
ZombieKiller;89927 wrote:

Yeah, that definitely looks like something I’ll be buying. Thanks, man! Matter of fact, the whole damned series looks invaluable.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
ZombieKiller;89927 wrote:

thanks zombiekiller im actually going to buy this today

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

All the dynamic books are very helpful.

Odonata
Participant
@odonata
WardyInk;89424 wrote:
thanks for the replies and not been drawing long but ill be practicing alot to follow my dream!

the best way to improve your drawing is to tak a life drawing class, even if you arnt that interested in anatomy or form , you can do still life classes with objects . anyway my point is the most important thing you lear is not drawing but seeing , or looking – your drawing improves with practice and your skills greatly increase when you train your ability to break object down into light and shadow . later then comes the skill to draw and render from mind, based of your stored knowledge of how different surfaces react to light ..
as aposed to copying photos or other drawings , from life object you really coach your ability to decipher where shadow and highlight goes for yourself – it will also bring out your own style – if you dont want to do a class than just practice drawing different objects in different lighting also diversify your medium , paint charcoal pen pencil – this stops dependence on the medium to carry the style and will make it much easier for you to pick up anything and draw well – stick in sand and most importantly

another good exercise especially if you want to do tattooing is draw lots in pen – or dont erase , just redraw on a new sheet refining your ability to control the first line
exercises like drawing without taking the pen off the paper and not looking away from the object to see the paper (can look a mess) helps the communication between what you see and what your hand draws .

keep at it mate

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.