Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Out of curiosity, what is the story behind the masks? The only reason I ask is that my tat is partially of a mask and people have told me it’s like things they’ve seen from Venice- I’d like to know what they are talking about. : )

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia
Gsouder;75701 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the story behind the masks? The only reason I ask is that my tat is partially of a mask and people have told me it’s like things they’ve seen from Venice- I’d like to know what they are talking about. : )

Venice have some kickass carnivals every year, so the enitre town is filled with masks 😛 Check out the movie Casanova, and you’ll get it. Or Phantom of The opera, though it’s from Paris. Still the same stuff.
In general, Italy and Paris have some huuuuuge carnivals. So do London, actually.
I’ve been around in Italy, and they sell those kinds of masks everywhere! Some amazing art going on there, some of the masks are unbelievable.

inconspicuous
Participant
@inconspicuous

yes, like poxphobia said, they’re used in extravagant festivals and masquerade balls c:

i copied this:

“Venetian masks emerged in a climate of cultural and religious repression during the Medieval era in Italy. People donned the colorful masks to free themselves from judging neighbors, all of whom knew each other in such a small city. The gentry class and peasants alike sought anonymity for promiscuity, gambling, and other indiscretions. Even the clergy were known to dress up to go dancing.”

and my particular mask is a columbine mask:

“The columbine was popularised by an early actress in the Commedia dell’arte of the same name. It is said it was designed for her because she did not wish to have her beautiful face covered completely.”

i got it because i loved the stories and it’s perfect for me because a few specific reasons c:

ArniVidar
@arnividar
inconspicuous;75724 wrote:
t’s perfect for me because a few specific reasons c:

Because you’re beautiful as sin, much like the original wearer?

inconspicuous
Participant
@inconspicuous

haha i think it’s more along the lines of the first paragraph i copied c:

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
inconspicuous;75724 wrote:
yes, like poxphobia said, they’re used in extravagant festivals and masquerade balls c:

i copied this:

“Venetian masks emerged in a climate of cultural and religious repression during the Medieval era in Italy. People donned the colorful masks to free themselves from judging neighbors, all of whom knew each other in such a small city. The gentry class and peasants alike sought anonymity for promiscuity, gambling, and other indiscretions. Even the clergy were known to dress up to go dancing.”

and my particular mask is a columbine mask:

“The columbine was popularised by an early actress in the Commedia dell’arte of the same name. It is said it was designed for her because she did not wish to have her beautiful face covered completely.”

i got it because i loved the stories and it’s perfect for me because a few specific reasons c:

Thanks for the history! I have a plague doctor on my inside bicep. After your post I searched the internet and found some really amazing stuff. Check this out:

Medico Della Peste (The Plague Doctor)
The Medico Della Peste with its long beak is one of the most bizarre and recognisable of the Venetian masks. The striking design has a macabre history originating from 16th century French physician Charles de Lorme who adopted the mask together with other peculiar sanitary precautions while treating plague victims. Traditionally the full face mask is white consisting of a hollow beak and round eye holes covered with crystal discs creating a bespectacled effect.
Today, the masks are often more decorative. The doctors who followed de Lorme’s example wore the usual black hat and long black cloak as well as the mask, white gloves and a stick (to move patients without having to come into physical contact). They hoped these precautions would prevent them contracting the disease. Those who wear the ‘plague doctor’ mask often wear the associated clothing of the beak doctor costume. The popularity of the Medico della Peste among carnivale celebrants can be seen as a memento mori.

I had no idea that there was a whole other side to my tat! something that really resonates with me personally is the last saying, the Memento mori:

Memento mori is a Latin phrase translated as “Remember your mortality”, “Remember you must die” or “Remember you will die” – literally ” [in the future] remember to die”, since “memento” is a future imperative of the 2nd person, and mori is a deponent infinitive. It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose: to remind people of their own mortality. The phrase has a tradition in art that dates back to antiquity.

THis means a lot to me as well as I struggle with the idea of death. It scares the shit out of me. I know it shouldn’t, it’s part of the cycle and I’m sure there is some continuation after- I know this in my head. My heart doesn’t agree though..

Anyway, thanks, you gave me a whole new perspective on my tat!

inconspicuous
Participant
@inconspicuous
Quote:
I have a plague doctor on my inside bicep. After your post I searched the internet and found some really amazing stuff.

wow yes i love the story behind that kind too c: i think that is the most interesting one. i saw a photo of the mask on your profile. that is an amazing tattoo. do you mind me asking how much it cost?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.