zinni
Participant
@zinni

Hello everyone. I have been trying to make my dream tattoo a reality for the longest time and I would love some input. A quick back story (because every tattoo has one) my father had two full sleeves depicting Mount Olympus, they were artist renderings of the Greek gods and as a kid I loved it. My dad is my biggest source of inspiration and after he passed I wanted to get my two sleeves done but with my own spin

I have had in my head for the past year two geek sleeves. depicting characters from video games and other media fighting one another. Divided into two separate groups bad/evil characters (right arm), good characters ( left arm). I have been picking out pairings that I would like to get done but I ran into a snag. Is this even a realistic vision? The money and pain isn’t an issue, this is as much for me as it is my fathers memory. But I wanted to know…is their a way to make this a reality. Or am I just dreaming to big for my skin?

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

sounds pretty cool to me not sure how you will get it to flow unless you have some sort of cartoon scene if you like.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

Honestly, I would pick one set of characters and fill the sleeve up with elements from the video game. Otherwise it’s just a bunch of characters all over the place.

zinni
Participant
@zinni

This is just the feedback i needed. So what do you mean a theme, like one specific video game or anime series? The vision I had was just over lapping fights at different distances to fill my arm. But please the more input the better, thank you

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Rockysmom;72460 wrote:
Honestly, I would pick one set of characters and fill the sleeve up with elements from the video game. Otherwise it’s just a bunch of characters all over the place.

Not sure I 100% agree here. I wouldn’t get lots and lots of little characters but if you picked, say, 4 per arm and used them in the 4 quadrants of your arm I think it would be pretty sick. I wouldn’t have the good fighting the good and the bad fighting the bad though. You could do good on the inside of your arm swith a blueish background and the bad ones on the outside of the arm with a red back ground. That way they can interact with each other.

Just my .02

zinni
Participant
@zinni

Thats brilliant! So when you say four characters and four quadrants does that mean 16 or four? Please excuse my lack of knowledge

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
zinni;72465 wrote:
Thats brilliant! So when you say four characters and four quadrants does that mean 16 or four? Please excuse my lack of knowledge

The way I see it going down would be as follows:

Left arm:

One good character on your inner bicep
One good character on your inner forearm
One bad character on your outer bicep
One bad character on your outer forearm

Right arm:
One good character on your inner bicep
One good character on your inner forearm
One bad character on your outer bicep
One bad character on your outer forearm

So 8 total. This way you can have the characters big enough to have good detail and you can use the composition of your arm to define the interaction. A good artist should be able to pull this off for you.

zinni
Participant
@zinni

So is that a good amount of characters to have before detail starts to suffer as a factor?

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

gsouder has a point. One set may not be enough if you are doing a full sleeve. i like his idea. i think this will look cool. my boyfriend is a total video game geek so he’d totally appreciate it.

zinni
Participant
@zinni

How would I go about finding the best artist to do these characters. Because im willing to gather the money and travel to wherever the best artist is. This is, as the title says, my dream. Go big or go home right? 😀

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Start with google. What you are looking for is A) an amazing artist that B) can work in your style and C)is interested in your piece. Take your time, ask anyone you see with a tattoo you like where they got it, visit studios, buy tattoo magazines, go to tattoo shows (there’s one in SF on the 20-22 if you are anywhere near by) basically submerge yourself into the tattoo scene. You will eventually start gravitating to the right people. Do not settle, be prepared to wait and for sure be prepared to spend some cash. A full sleeve from a very good in demand artist can cost upwards of 5K. You are looking at 2 sleeves, so reaching 10K might not be so far out of the question. Be prepared for this. Also, a good sleeve can take many MANY hours, like 30-50. That is NOT a minimum amount of tolerance for pain so be prepared for that as well.

keep looking until you find the right person. the difference between a good idea that’s a shitty tattoo and a good idea thats an amazing tattoo is the artist

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.