#33938
ER88
Participant
    @er88

So about 9 months ago I got a tattoo of candycanes in a heart (I was born on christmas, haha).

It looked great when it was first done and seemed to heal well, but shortly after it finished healing I noticed it looked like crap.
here it was at first:
tattoocandy2.jpg
And here it was after healing:
badtat.jpg
Why did the lines bloaty out so much and some of the ink lift? I had a tattoo done before at a different place 3 years ago that looks much better than this more recent piece. I followed the same aftercare for it. Was it the artists’ fault? I’m paying $50 to get it touched up friday at the place I got my first tattoo from, even though I could get it touched up for free from the artist who did this crappy tattoo originally. I just don’t trust him anymore. Was it my fault in bad aftercare (Dial antibacterial soap and a&d ointment) or could it have been the artist’s fault?

#88955
itsofficial
Participant
    @itsofficial

I’ll be honest I have no idea how it turned to that, but did you use lotion when it started to peel? And make sure where ever you get it touched up at, it’s a really good shop, do some research.

#88959
Cornishtiger
Participant
    @cornishtiger

In my opinion its healed like that because its a very poorly executed tattoo. Look at the lines!
Take it to a good artist and ask them to help you.


#88969
ER88
Participant
    @er88
itsofficial;69254 wrote:
I’ll be honest I have no idea how it turned to that, but did you use lotion when it started to peel? And make sure where ever you get it touched up at, it’s a really good shop, do some research.

I used A&D the whole time. blotted the excess etc
Also, I am going to the best in the area (in my opinion) tomorrow to get it touched up.
Thanks for your time, guys. If anyone else has any idea why it healed so poorly….

#88971
xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
    @xxtopdogxx

You are using the term artist too loosly. This is just a case of bad tattooing. You did nothing wrong other than picking this scratcher to do your tat. Even the first pic looks like shit. Just because someone works in a shop and calls themself an artist, doesn’t mean they can make tattoos. Do some research and find an artist that you like, don’t go to a shop and have the guy whos not busy do your tat. You may have to pay more, but it will be worth it. Seems like people always want to get the best deal on thier ink, and there will alway be someone willing to do it cheaper, but with covers and redos you alway wind up paying more.

#88975
ER88
Participant
    @er88
xxTOPDOGxx;69275 wrote:
You are using the term artist too loosly. This is just a case of bad tattooing. You did nothing wrong other than picking this scratcher to do your tat. Even the first pic looks like shit. Just because someone works in a shop and calls themself an artist, doesn’t mean they can make tattoos. Do some research and find an artist that you like, don’t go to a shop and have the guy whos not busy do your tat. You may have to pay more, but it will be worth it. Seems like people always want to get the best deal on thier ink, and there will alway be someone willing to do it cheaper, but with covers and redos you alway wind up paying more.

Actually I looked this artist (sorry, “guy”) up online before ever even going in the shop and liked his portfolio, and my friend got a tattoo done by him and I was impressed with it so I decided to get mine done there. Please don’t disrespect me. Thanks for the feedback about it being a crappy tattoo job though, at least I know i didn’t do anything rong in terms of aftercare or whatever. You’re right htat it is crappy though, the striping on the candyanes is uneven and the little red heart is off center, even in the beginning. We’ll see what a better “guy”/artist can do.

#88977
xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
    @xxtopdogxx

No disrespect meant, but, this guy is a hack. If you did do some researh, online or otherwise, you would know that this guys work is shit and I would get my money back. Give me a name and shop so I can see some of this guys work for myself. If you have someone else in mind to fix your tat, let us know who you have picked and we may be able to give you some insight on his ability. The people on this forum have some good feedback and may be able save you some grief. Also, let us know where you live and we may be able to suggest someone.

I got a tat from a guy years ago that was recommended by a friend. Big Mistake!

#88978
ER88
Participant
    @er88

The guy I want to go to is Alex Lugo at Oddity Tattoo in Sarasota, FL.
I live in St. Petersburg FL

#88981
xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
    @xxtopdogxx

Why Alex? Oddity has some really good artists, Travis’ work is super. Alex Lugos work is pretty good. He has a good hand for shading. Have him throw in some shadows and maybe add some kind of background that will help the white to pop. Make sure you ask him his opinion, he may be able to transform this to something you will love.

#88983
ER88
Participant
    @er88

I definitely trust Alex, I saw his work online before I went to him and to be honest all the artists at Oddity seemed terrific and he was kind of the one they suggested for my first piece, he was available and I liked his portfolio. I think travis is amazing, i’d love to have a tat done by him some time. I also want to get the first piece Alex did for me worked on further. It was a conglomeration between myself and Alex(I designed the body and wings, he designed the tail), I wanted it very plain (smooth outlines and no shading) because i figured it’d age better than really detailed/shaded stuff, but I’ve decided I want the linework worked on some to make it a little more interesting.
Here’s that tat:
hoorayyyyy.jpg

and here’s what I want done to it (or somehting similiar, I’ll let him decide)
tattoo5b.jpg

#88984
itsofficial
Participant
    @itsofficial
ER88;69273 wrote:
I used A&D the whole time. blotted the excess etc
Also, I am going to the best in the area (in my opinion) tomorrow to get it touched up.
Thanks for your time, guys. If anyone else has any idea why it healed so poorly….

A&D the whole time? Even when it started to peel? When it starts to peel you need to apply unscented lotion to the tattoo at least two times a day. By the way, just for future tattoos, i’ve used A&D and then switched to aquaphor, and in my opinion aquaphor is a lot better. It helped me heal a lot quicker.

#88985
ER88
Participant
    @er88
itsofficial;69290 wrote:
A&D the whole time? Even when it started to peel? When it starts to peel you need to apply unscented lotion to the tattoo at least two times a day. By the way, just for future tattoos, i’ve used A&D and then switched to aquaphor, and in my opinion aquaphor is a lot better. It helped me heal a lot quicker.

I don’t remember what I did exactly, I may have switched to lotion, not sure. I’m thinking of doing the Emu Oil thing this time as I have some and i think it’s wondeful.

#88998
KJD2121
Participant
    @kjd2121

So Alex did your shitty tattoo? His work looks outstanding to me. Must have been a bad day!!

#89001
ER88
Participant
    @er88

No, you obviously didn’t read the thread.

#89004
gnarly
Participant
    @gnarly

I feel like the darker lines on the second picture of the bird might just end up looking sloppy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.