fredsmedina
Participant
@fredsmedina
jerryatrophy;115722 wrote:
There are a couple things to consider when talking about an artist free handing it.
I let my tattoo artist freehand most of my work now. Unless its something iconic like a fiend skull or something like that.
If you are going to let an artist do freehand work you had damn well better trust them. I wouldn’t risk letting an unknown artist freehand anything. My artist has started free handing my work in the past few years. But I completely trust his judgment after working with him for 8 years.
I feel like if you have a good artist then free handing shouldn’t be an issue. It will almost always flow with your body shape better then with a traditional stencil. If you feel good about the guy and his enthusiasm for the piece, go for it. Nothing makes for a better tattoo than having a subject that the artist is really into.

That makes sense. I think I would be completely comfortable with him doing it, and I have no doubt that it would turn out great, and be what I want. And the enthusiasm that he does have about doing it is good.

But at the same time, I’m not sure how much “better” this other artist might be. I am no expert at all on the artwork obviously..To me, the artwork in Jayme’s portfolio looks maybe a little better than Sterlings..But I have seen Sterlings work in person, and seen him tattoo a big piece on my friends ribcage..

Based solely on the artists portfolios, would that sway any of you guys towards either artist? Do you agree that Jayme’s may be a little better? if you think either artist is a better choice, then why?

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I think they’re both pretty good. Just go with the one whose style fits your vision better.

fredsmedina
Participant
@fredsmedina

And i’m waiting to hear back about setting up a consult with this guy Cory…
http://corynorrisart.com/?page_id=5

He’s maybe an hour away from where I live. but definnitely worth the drive I think.

He seems to stick out above even the other two.. But I cant say why.. And I cant tell which one will ‘best suit my wants’. I guess just meet all 3, here what they have to say, and get estimates. then make a decision…it is a huge decision though!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Yes Cory Norris is Wayyyy better then the others. I have 2 tattoos from him. He is extremely talented in many art forms and hell of a nice guy.

fredsmedina
Participant
@fredsmedina

Any idea how I could get in with Cory? His upcoming conventions are booked, and his shop said that he generally doesn’t except new clients. And that he just refers them to other people at that shop. Any suggestions of how I would get in with him? They told me if I drive there, and talk to him, He could decide that he will do my work. But most likely wOuldnt. Since my original post, I do know almost exactly what I want now though

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

He is a high caliber artist. He must have enough repeat business that he doesn’t have to book new clients. But then again he is an artist. So if you had a Rad idea he might want to do it. I say if your serious about a memorial piece. Go for it, drive up there and talk to the guy. I think the hardship of getting a great artist to do your memorial makes it that much better a story. All he can do is say no. I don’t know the guy but i know that it isn’t easy to turn someone away with a memorial piece especially if you give him artistic freedom. Keep in mind that you probably do have a better shot talking to the guy in person.

fredsmedina
Participant
@fredsmedina

Thanks jerryatrophy. That thought had crossed my mind. It’s actually closer to a 2 hour drive. BUT no price is too much for wanting to make this memorial piece the absolute best. Like you said, he is a big shot, and doesn’t need me as a client. But after seeing his work, I feel like I’d be ‘settling’ if I went elsewhere. If I try, and he doesnt want to take it on, then there is nothing I can do. And going with the next best that I have seen won’t be settling. Although I was originally looking to get this within a few weeks, I’ve seen some amazing artists and realized that I should wait. All these good ones are booked at least a few months out. But worth the wait. Really hoping something works itself out with Cory. Will update once I head up to the shop

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

Good luck bro. Hope it works out for ya.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

You could check out the other links to a couple of shops in Sacramento I gave you in another thread on the other forum.

As for Cory go up to his shop try to talk to him and buy some of his art work he is way more proud of his paintings then his tattoos

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.