cincsbizkit
@

Looking to get my first tattoo, a quote that says “Ricordati Chi Sei” which in Italian means “Remember who you are”. I want to get it on my upper arm or my tricep. I am afraid it will look to boring. Any ideas on how to spice it up a bit and which area would you think would look best?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

By not getting the quote. I would try think of some images to represent the quote instead of having just the actual quote. Quote’s are common and becoming a fassion accessory like tribal was.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
wardy;114819 wrote:
by not getting the quote.

+1
…………

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
wardy;114819 wrote:
by not getting the quote.
d3fianc3;114824 wrote:
+1
…………

+2

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Plus 3………..

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You will find little love for text-only tattoos in here, sorry. Most of the people here tend to think that text-only tattoos are a waste of canvas that could be used for far greater things to represent the same thought.

There’s a reason why they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I disagree a well done quote tattoo is just as nice as any picture tattoo it is just a different form of art.

The reason they get slated so much is because they often have the 2 main faults (spelling issues aside).

1. Bad fonts – You want a font that is both large enough to read, as well as being able to read without discomfort.

2. Placement – Very important that you place the quote so that it is level and will not interfere with future work, or that future work can be worked around it.

A full backpiece can often be destroyed by having your last name across your shoulders as an example.

Finally you need it to be at least 12-14 pt in size otherwise it will become a blocky blob in years to come.

Also don’t rely on the web for translations invest in a native speaker or language dictionary.

Good luck with the ink and post up if you get it done.

Take care
Matthew

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I do agree that text can be done well. I also agree that text is fast becoming the new tribal (which can also be done well).

That being said, when it comes to text, less is more. Don’t tattoo too many words. Text really only looks good on flat surfaces where you can read the entire thing all at once. Typography is meant for printing on even, unmoving surfaces. The human body is neither.

For me personally, I can’t even stand my senior quote from my yearbook. At the time I thought it was personal and poignant. I’m a much different person now and I’m glad I don’t wear it.

I tattoo text on people almost every day. It’s easy for me to do and it makes me money. It is a nightmare to work around later on though.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
ArniVidar;114899 wrote:
There’s a reason why they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

The rest of that quote is, “… to the man who cannot read.” ๐Ÿ˜‰

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat
GrayCatLove;114969 wrote:

I do love how most of the world forgets this. It does help me sell people on getting larger graphic tattoos rather than simple text though. I’m guilty of misusing it almost daily.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I got my bands name tattooed around my right wrist. Band broke up two weeks later. Go figure. I guess I jinxed us.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
GrayCatLove;114969 wrote:

Umh.. no… the quote is quite finished as it is. It was popularized in1921 by an advertising company, but dates back much further.

That extra bit you quoted is added by book/word snobs that believe that a 1500 page book is far better than a 300 page book, but neither does it have any bearing on the actual proverb/saying/phrase/whatever, nor does it take a way from the validity of it’s simple and true statement. A picture will tell a story more quickly and more completely, and the text required to tell the same story would usually be many many lines of text. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.