ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Ah, THAT kind of calibrations I CAN do 🙂

Why, oh why, do you have a 46TB NAS server? That’s corporate-level data storage.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 122570 wrote:

Ah, THAT kind of calibrations I CAN do 🙂

Why, oh why, do you have a 46TB NAS server? That’s corporate-level data storage.

Lol yeah because I don’t know how to male the files smaller for blue rays, I was going to copy all my collect as ISO format lol

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well, honestly you’ll never want to go below 4GB per hour (6Mbps), so the shrinking will be somewhat limited. How large are the BluRay ISO’s usually? About 50GB for 2 hours?

Still, doing 1080p MKV rips in 6Mbps would mean 120 movies per TB instead of 20 movies per TB, so that’s a definite plus 😀

By the way… it’s probably cheaper to just backup the BD’s instead of storing them on a NAS server. You’re replacing the drives on average every 5 years, which means that you’re doing about $6-800 a year in HD replacements 😛

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 122572 wrote:

Well, honestly you’ll never want to go below 4GB per hour (6Mbps), so the shrinking will be somewhat limited. How large are the BluRay ISO’s usually? About 50GB for 2 hours?

Still, doing 1080p MKV rips in 6Mbps would mean 120 movies per TB instead of 20 movies per TB, so that’s a definite plus 😀

By the way… it’s probably cheaper to just backup the BD’s instead of storing them on a NAS server. You’re replacing the drives on average every 5 years, which means that you’re doing about $6-800 a year in HD replacements 😛

Yes MKV is the way to go but sadly I have no clue how to do that….

Won’t backing the blu rays up take just the same amount of room?

Hmm you bring up an interesting point about replacing the drives, which I didn’t think about.

Why would I need to replace the drives ever? I thought its only storage so I would never need to up grade or buy more?

Maybe I should just sell it then with all the films on it, while its still worth something?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Selling it with the films on it would be incredibly illegal, albeit maybe slightly profitable. 🙂

If you do a BD to BD backup, you’ll own a disc that you won’t have to worry about scratching or losing, and you put that in a folder with 3-400 other movies for actual use. Then you store your original BD’s somewhere safe and out of reach.

Hard drives only have an average lifespan of about 5 years. I’ve been doing data storage and running about 10 drives constantly since the mid 90’s, and they all seem to last little over 5 years. Obviously every time you replace a drive you double the size of space you have, but you’re still paying maybe $150 per drive each time. With at least 30 drives in the RAID controller for full backup, that’s a lot of drives to fail every year 🙂

Incidentally, CDs and DVDs (and presumably BluRays) that you burn yourself only have a lifespan of about 3-10 years (and store-bought stamped ones between 10 and 30 years), but honestly you’re never going to watch two thirds of your collection anyway, and those that you watch will be scratched to bits before they fade away, so in the long run it might be a cheaper storage solution for the next decade or so. Obviously you don’t get the convenience of having your entire collection in one place, though, which you get with the NAS solution.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@ArniVidar 122574 wrote:

Selling it with the films on it would be incredibly illegal, albeit maybe slightly profitable. 🙂

If you do a BD to BD backup, you’ll own a disc that you won’t have to worry about scratching or losing, and you put that in a folder with 3-400 other movies for actual use. Then you store your original BD’s somewhere safe and out of reach.

Hard drives only have an average lifespan of about 5 years. I’ve been doing data storage and running about 10 drives constantly since the mid 90’s, and they all seem to last little over 5 years. Obviously every time you replace a drive you double the size of space you have, but you’re still paying maybe $150 per drive each time. With at least 30 drives in the RAID controller for full backup, that’s a lot of drives to fail every year 🙂

Incidentally, CDs and DVDs (and presumably BluRays) that you burn yourself only have a lifespan of about 3-10 years (and store-bought stamped ones between 10 and 30 years), but honestly you’re never going to watch two thirds of your collection anyway, and those that you watch will be scratched to bits before they fade away, so in the long run it might be a cheaper storage solution for the next decade or so. Obviously you don’t get the convenience of having your entire collection in one place, though, which you get with the NAS solution.

Food for thought, thanks a lot. Didn’t know they had shelf lives:-)

Another reason I chose a large NAS is I’m thinking actual discs are on the way out. Shown recently by HMV and Blockbusters going bust this week in the UK.

cascade505
    @

I love to game, whether it’s video games or board games.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

@peterpoose 122566 wrote:

Awesome looking bike! Is it quick?

I would love to get a bike but I think I would kill myself on one 🙁

Well. Fast is a very relative term. Ive never had a car test me that I couldnt annhilate.
    Theres not a harley out there that can keep up.
    But in the world of sportbikes its about a 60%er.
    Only capable of about 160mph so any modern 600/750/1000cc will walk away on the big end.
    The thing is brutal in the midrange. First and second gear are touchy cause the front wheel lofts into the air pretty easy.
    I like to think of myself as a decent rider and while i cant keep up with hayabusas on the highway, its very easy to overtake in the corners.

You can probably tell im pretty into it. I love this bike because youre not laying down on a gastank and it has ennough power to be a crapload of fun. I lovebit when these little kids in their rice burning honda civics with fart tubes pull up next to me at a light and actually think they have a chance. Nothing better than clutchin it up and passing a cager on one wheel.

Thaela
    Participant
    @thaela

Hardcore competitive online gaming.

And you thought girls didn’t play video games 😛

cascade505
    @

Same here haha. What games do you play?

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@peterpoose 122573 wrote:

Yes MKV is the way to go but sadly I have no clue how to do that….

I use MakeMKV to put them on the hard drive and handbrake to shrink them down…

I had quite a few BluRay discs on my hard drive and they were 30-50 GB each. I don’t have nearly the storage as you though, only 2TB here.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@Thaela 122622 wrote:

For some reason my first glance only showed me “Hardcore online”. Did a double-take, fer sure 😀

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@jerryatrophy 122536 wrote:

It currently has parts from 13 different bikes. Dont ever let somebody tell you it wont work or fit. It will, you just have to get creative.

That’s awesome.
    Going to be a sweet ride when it’s finished. I hope you’ll post up pics when you’re done.

Other than tattoos, I enjoy riding my motorcycle whenever and as often as I can, I have a 7 day trip planned this year riding from Oklahoma to South Dakota, spending about 3 days riding through the badlands. I also enjoy fishing, camping and hunting. I have a couple of guitars that I play horribly but enjoy doing it.

I also enjoy gaming. I have been an avid World of Warcraft player since it came out.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

@Thaela 122622 wrote:

I used to do a lot of competative online gaming also, Only really on the one game though. I played Counter-Strike for about 10 years starting on beta 5.2 and finishing on counter-strike 1.6 where i played at a professional standard in around 2006/2007 earning small amounts of money for playing and also going to gaming tournaments.

Thaela
    Participant
    @thaela

@cascade505 122624 wrote:

Same here haha. What games do you play?

Only 1 currently – World of Warcraft. I played Diablo for a bit but didn’t really get into it.

My guild raids 4 nights a week, for 3 hrs each night. My main right now is a shadow/discipline priest. In the last expansion I had a lot of alts that I played, but this expansion is very alt un-friendly, so just playing the one toon for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.