SallyMac
    Participant
    @sallymac
    Azure;39448 wrote:
    Amen!
    I don’t want to be harsh about young mums, I had my son at 19 and am a good mum and I know plenty even younger who are doing a fine job. But maybe the initial post here is an examaple of why in *some* cases kids shouldn’t be entrusted with bringing up kids of their own.

Let me make this very clear I have NOTHING against young mums.
    I do however have a problem with mothers who use their daughters as a “cutsie tool”..I mean honestly I cannot think of any reason(perhaps other than religious) why you would want to pierce the ears of a baby.
    So sad really because every baby needs to be a baby but most of all needs a mumma it can trust wholely.
    (rant over……..)

apostle228
    @
    tallcoolone;22904 wrote:
    It is sad that there is a test to get your drivers liscense, but no test to become a parent and be totally responsible for the life of a human being.

i know, right????? jeez! some people are so incompetent and unable to be proper good parents.

SexyBear77
    Participant
    @sexybear77

one word- wrong!!!!! 😮

Rockysmom
    Participant
    @rockysmom

Man, why don’t people let their kids decide one day if they want to get their own ears pierced. Getting my ears pierced was a great experience and I am glad I got to experience it for myself.
    You mine as well put makeup on your baby while you are at it.

Helsinki Harlot
    Participant
    @helsinki-harlot

-shrugs- I’d say go for it I guess, not at that age but maybe a bit older (earlier than her teens). The reason I say that is that in my experiance I have never met a girl who had as their main/only reason of not getting her ears pierced being that she was scared of the pain or the needle. (Not saying that there aren’t girls out there who just don’t want them.)

My godmother took me out at 5 and got my ears pierced and it was the best day of my young life. And if you’re scared of the pain, you really won’t remember it for years after. So I guess it’s easier? (Kinda like how parents actively try and get their children to have chicken pox when they’re younger, I guess.)

Ear piercings, if it’s just the regular lobes, really aren’t something to get a heart attack over.

I do recommend because of personal philosophy you wait until she is old enough to understand what is happening and that it is permanent (unless of course you take the piercings out and they scar over.) She should have an opinion on what happens to her.

It’s the exact same as telling her she CAN’T have piercings if she wanted them. If it ends up that she didn’t want piercings and you made her get some, it’s the same thing.

Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    Helsinki Harlot;40527 wrote:
    It’s the exact same as telling her she CAN’T have piercings if she wanted them. If it ends up that she didn’t want piercings and you made her get some, it’s the same thing.

That has to be just about the most ridiculous theory I’ve ever heard lol. I can tell you’re not a parent. Try applying that to other things. A kid wants a tattoo and you don’t let them do it. Is that equal an act as forcing the kid to get a tattoo she doesn’t want?

Helsinki Harlot
    Participant
    @helsinki-harlot
    Azure;40529 wrote:
    That has to be just about the most ridiculous theory I’ve ever heard lol. I can tell you’re not a parent. Try applying that to other things. A kid wants a tattoo and you don’t let them do it. Is that equal an act as forcing the kid to get a tattoo she doesn’t want?

(Haha, honestly, I hope to never be one. )

You’re still forcing a body modification on them because of your views instead of theirs.

One of the things that immediately came to mind was … what was it.. wife swap? And they had a rather ‘punk’ family’s mother trade places with a strict upper class mother. And the ‘punk’ mother preached about how she was 100% open minded, more so than the other mother, but would not let her daughter take hip hop classes or dress in ‘mainstream’ clothes, even tho she wanted to.

That’s just how I see it. Doesn’t mean that everyone has to share my theory. Maybe with a tattoo it’s a bit more drastic, you can’t exactly take it back off once it’s on. But the idea is still there, even if the examples are weak.

Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    Helsinki Harlot;40530 wrote:
    (Haha, honestly, I hope to never be one. )

You’re still forcing a body modification on them because of your views instead of theirs.

One of the things that immediately came to mind was … what was it.. wife swap? And they had a rather ‘punk’ family’s mother trade places with a strict upper class mother. And the ‘punk’ mother preached about how she was 100% open minded, more so than the other mother, but would not let her daughter take hip hop classes or dress in ‘mainstream’ clothes, even tho she wanted to.

That’s just how I see it. Doesn’t mean that everyone has to share my theory. Maybe with a tattoo it’s a bit more drastic, you can’t exactly take it back off once it’s on. But the idea is still there, even if the examples are weak.

Well exactly. A piercing or a tattoo is modification. When a parent refuses one of these things, it is not modification, it is preservation. Something which can be altered at a later date.

I’m not dead against people having their five year old’s ears pierced if it’s something they’ve specifically requested. I don’t love the idea and I wouldn’t do it myself. But I wouldn’t call someone a bad parent for it. It’s when someone walks into a parlour with a helpless little baby and has metal put in their ears without their knowledge or agreement that gets me. Watching a baby suffer even for a few seconds is gut wrenching and why someone would put them through it for fashion (if ya call it fashionable…) is beyond me.

So I don’t entirely disagree with your original point. I just thought the theory you gave at the end didn’t make much sense.

HondaPower20
    @

omg all of you are ridiculous.

i got my daughters ears pierced at 4 months. and i was only 17.

so back to the OP, i didnt have ID asked for cause im her mother.

i say f*** all these haters. there stupid. do your own thing girl.

Marcus M6
    Participant
    @marcus-m6

these people aren’t being haters. A piercing or altering of the body should be that persons choice only, its something we like to call freedom of choice, not someone else deciding what you should look like. Parent or no parent thats not your fucking decesion. Plus teenagers never make the proper decesions that’s why you pierced your daughters ears at 4 months

Marcus

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

What amazes me is how ppl can think of ‘just’ pierced lobes being no big deal and because of this it is ok to get their baby’s pierced.

Pushing a lump of metal through the flesh of a baby is a big deal – you are inflicting pain on a human being who cannot protest or make an informed decision on whether they want them.

Imagine me walking in on your grandmother who has no piercings who is in a coma and thinking ‘she would look sweet with a nose ring’. Then I bang a sleeper through her nostril.

Would the feeling still be the same of it is harmless? I cannot see that happening.

Also where do you draw the line? Just a small piercing of the lobes or just a small piercing of the eyebrow, nose, tragus or how about a few secs of a tattoo needle.

Afterall they won’t recall the pain they are too young and you know might even thank me when they grow up for looking so cool as a baby. :rolleyes:

This is not about hate – this is about sensibilities. Your child is not a fashion accessory or a toy.

If somebody tried to pierce my daughter when she was a baby I would have used a nail gun on them.

Take Care
    Matthew

Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    Marcus M6;40568 wrote:
    these people aren’t being haters. A piercing or altering of the body should be that persons choice only, its something we like to call freedom of choice, not someone else deciding what you should look like. Parent or no parent thats not your fucking decesion. Plus teenagers never make the proper decesions that’s why you pierced your daughters ears at 4 months

Marcus

Amen Marcus. Although I’d like to point out that not all teenage mums are bad eggs. I became one at 19, but met plenty of younger ones through a group I set up, and there were many smashing parents amongst the group, and I’m a damn good one myself (if I do say so myself haha, it’s just about the only compliment I’ll pay myself in life!). It’s just fucking morons like Honda whatever her face is that let the side down and give the teen parents out there with their heads screwed on and put their child’s WELFARE (get that, Honda?) as prime priority a bad name. I won’t even bother responding to that person, not worthy of my time, attitudes like that make me sick.

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

Sorry Sherav didn’t see your post when I replied. Needless to say, I’m right there with you. Couldn’t have summed it up better myself. How are you doing? Haven’t been around in a while!

Marcus M6
    Participant
    @marcus-m6

I agree 100% but hondapowers ignorance sort of proves a point. It almost sounds like her kids have no say in anything, and the starter of this thread sounds sincere and wants to know how people feel about it. There are a few bad apples out there. (and i was pretty much just talking about her anyway)

proudmummy
    Participant
    @proudmummy

Each to his own but personally I think it is wrong for a child so young to go through that process. To be quite honestly, it also looks naff when babies have earrings.

I also agree there should be an age limit – I think children shouldn’t get their ears pierced before say 10, I really do but again, just my own opinion.

I got mine done at 13, my mum didn’t let me get them done before and I am glad. I couldn’t have coped with it so young and also it wasnt necessary.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.