Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Look, no one is trying to make you defend your opinion. Clearly you believe what you said and I actually agree with you about judging a book by it’s cover as the subject from the OP came from. The tats that he is talking about are silly and impulsive but they should not be categorized as negative beyond that.

I do, however, disagree with you on the meaning of Skinheads. At least in my culture, which I agree is one of many in the world, none of which are “right” or “wrong”, Skinheads are a subculture of Nazis. You might find some groups in the states that call themselves Skinheads and they are shaving their heads for jesus or playing WoW after nairing themselves but if you ask 100000 people what a skinhead is, 99999 of them are going to tell you they are violent racists bend on the same principles that the nazi party was based on. At least here, in the states, that’s what a skinhead is- it’s a more defined version of a nazi.

I respect your opinion- I’m not even trying to get you to change it. I just wanted you to know that skinhead means something different here than it does there and at the very least I thought you would find that difference interesting. I know I do!

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

Precisely but you stated that skinheads started out racist when infact it never.

Skinheads ”traditional” ones is nothing to do with race, politics, nothing like that and all these f##king idiots you see in the newspapers and on tv have stereotyped skinheads as being racist.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The whole argument is one of cultural definition according to the country you are in.

Most western countries will associate the skinhead movement as being neo-nazi and therefore a racist because of the influence of the far right associations that this has come to symbolise.

The USA has embraced the skinhead culture as a defined white power movement with members in the thousands.

To clarify though the UK is in a bit of a different position;

During the very late 1960’s to mid 1970’s the predominant skinhead sub-culture was linked to SKA music and what was known as African tribal beats and also had a mix of punk music in there. This was a non racist foundation.

However during the mid 1970’s to the mid to late 1980’s a sub-element began a racial movement called the National Front which adopted the skinhead look of shaved heads and Dr Marten boots but also began with the overcoats and bomber jackets as a ‘uniform’. These were highly racist and began making contacts across Europe mostly in Germany and the USA for a unified white power movement.

Many of the skinheads from the orig non racist element did not want to be associated with the NF or the look and the image changed to show this many mainstreamed others became punks or suedeheads (short hair but not skins).

The whitepower skinhead movement died off in around 1989 when the NF died a death – yes there are racists around under various guises such as the British Nationalist Party and a few may adopt the skinhead look but for the most part it is suits and shoes (ie no different in look to anybody else).

Also in London and the UK there is a yearly Black History month that celebrates achievements of which Reggae and SKA music is looked at – often showing pictures of white ‘skins’ in a non racist element.

The other factor is many ppl simply shave there hair off for simplicity – I am Jewish and have a non-white wife and I often shave my hair off because it is easier to look after.

Whilst no dispute parts of Europe and USA do have a racist skinhead culture we do not have one in the UK that is worth talking about as an active organisation.

Since it has been 20 years or so since the movement died down most ppl can easily walk around bald or skinhead and not automatically be assumed to be racist in the UK.

Take Care
Matthew

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

The correct definition of a racist skinhead is a bonehead

ShauniMay
Participant
@shaunimay
poxphobia;75992 wrote:
Just because people assume something, doesn’t mean they’re right.
I know tons of skinheads. Non of them are racist.

However many skinheads (i am in a relationship with an ex-skinhead and as bad as that sounds he is the complete opposite to the way he was when he was a skinhead) are neo-nazi’s. Research combat 18.
But people with cross tattoos on there faces are generally associated with skinheads 🙂

Love/Hate tattoos can have many different meanings, some of them are religious, but ive seen people get them purely based on what hand they punch with. They’ve had hate on the knuckles of the hand they use most in fights. Conveys the idea that they spread hate with that hand, and love with the other.

Swallows are commonly related to sailors, however they are associated with having the “freedom to fly”

I dont know any significance of spiderweb tattoos though im affraid

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.