GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

Who normally get this tattoo what is it associated with?

I know it’s of a film but why do people get it?

What does a swallow tattoo mean to?
Oh, and a cobweb?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
ArniVidar;75797 wrote:

LOL

Mumble mumble useless text mumble mumble

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The Love/Hate has a number of cultural meanings or individual meanings to the wearer.

There are several things to take into account – the first is that it fits the hands so they can be read easily (the thumb is often tucked away and so not easily as readable).

The most popular theme is one of religious or good and evil

Psalm 110:l: “The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.”

Love is usually tattooed on the right hand (the one that does G-d’s work) whilst hate is on the left as a reminder of the punishments or hatred of evil or sinners. This can also be read as the right hand does good works and the left hand does evil.

It can also mean that you are in balance of the dual nature of humanity.

Swallows – this tended to originate from sailors (on the seas) or canal boat sailors who fater doing several thousand miles would be tattooed with swallows either at the neck or hands to show that they are experienced in travel. (As swallows migrate).

Swallows often represent a loved one who is far away.

Cobwebs – often associated with doing time in prison as nothing to do but sit out your time. Russian gang members sometimes have a spider which may denote a drug addiction or alternatively if facing down in the web they are considering leaving crime after their sentence. if pointing upwards they do not ever intend to stop being a criminal.

The reasons will vary but if you get it then it will mean a personal thing to you.

Take Care
Matthew

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

I know tattoos vary from person to person.

But if you was to picture a young guy with LOVE and HATE on his knuckles, cobwebs and spiders, and swallows is it more than likely he is a thug or ex-prison convict?

I often see young to middle age guys with LOVE and HATE on the knuckles I know it’s from a film and the guy is a nutter so is it normally ”hardnuts” that get this tattoo?

I know the swallow does vary from seamen to doing your “bird” time or feeling free to fly or your wings are out and ready to fight anyone.

I see the cobweb just being a common tattoo these days on elbows, neck, face – so does this just vary alot now from liking it to its actual meaning?

The shop I work in a guy comes in about 22-25 oldest and he has LOVE and HATE and 4 dots above them letters on each hand and he looks a right tough lad… is this criminal connected? Because he seems such a genuine nice quiet guy? :rolleyes:

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The 4 dots on hands represent an old phrase which was known as ACAB
All coppers are bastards.
They reduced it to 4 dots so that the police could not accuse them of offensive ink. Started around the 1950’s.

As for criminally connected – really have to ask the guy.

The thing is you would be very suprised at who has and has not been to prison as for most they don’t like to talk about it because we got caught ;).

Take care
Matthew

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

On a UK meaning on tattoos you sometimes see people with like a little cross tattooed on their forehead?

What does that mean?

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia
GeordieTattooLover;75947 wrote:
On a UK meaning on tattoos you sometimes see people with like a little cross tattooed on their forehead?

What does that mean?

Skinhead.
Some skinheads are pretty big on having their face tattoed, I saw a lot of that in the UK too.
And no… Being a skinhead, does not mean racist. It did back in the days, but not anymore.
Still, some of course have the tattoo for completely different reasons as well.
Just head to Camden, and you’ll see a looot of different tattoos 😛

And I know people who have the Love & Hate tattoo on their knuckles, and people with swallows. Non of them are criminals or sailors 😛 Tattoos become fashion, and the original meaning fades out in many cases.
Today, you really can’t judge anyone based on their tattoos. Unless you’re in Japan or Russia, where prison/mafia tattoos are pretty big. Russian prison tattoos are easy to identify.

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover
poxphobia;75956 wrote:
Skinhead.
Some skinheads are pretty big on having their face tattoed, I saw a lot of that in the UK too.
And no… Being a skinhead, does not mean racist. It did back in the days, but not anymore.
Still, some of course have the tattoo for completely different reasons as well.
Just head to Camden, and you’ll see a looot of different tattoos 😛

And I know people who have the Love & Hate tattoo on their knuckles, and people with swallows. Non of them are criminals or sailors 😛 Tattoos become fashion, and the original meaning fades out in many cases.
Today, you really can’t judge anyone based on their tattoos. Unless you’re in Japan or Russia, where prison/mafia tattoos are pretty big. Russian prison tattoos are easy to identify.

Alright thanks but just to inform you the ”skinhead used to be racist but isn’t now” it is the otherway around lol it started out as a non-political but then became political… most people assume skinheads now are neo-nazis.:rolleyes:

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Just because people assume something, doesn’t mean they’re right.
I know tons of skinheads. Non of them are racist.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Hi Pox,

Just for the record, in the US the term Skinhead is used to describe a neo-nazi. It’s the core of the definition in the US for that term and saying that someone is a skinhead but isn’t a racist is like saying they are a Nazi but accepting of jews. It just does’t work. I think there may be something lost in translation between in the waters between the US an Europe but it might explain some of the miscommunication when talking to someone from over here about this. I understand that it doesn’t mean that in Norway and the rest of the world and I respect that, I’m just shedding some light from a US point of view.

G

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

He/she asked about the UK.. 🙂 I know the definitions are different, and that some skinheads most def. are nazis.
I’m just saying; You can’t judge everyone today. People are different, even within the same culture.

When I lived in the UK, I met all kinds of people, and hung out a lot in Camden. None of the skinheads I met there were rasist.
So it obviously has great variety 🙂 I wasn’t trying to say that no skinheads are rasist, because of course some are. I’m just saying; Not EVERYONE is.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Actually Pox, in most places Skinhead MEANS Neo-Nazi. You aren’t a skinhead unless you partake of KKK beliefs. In jails the skinheads is a gang/group/gathering/whatyoucallit of neo-nazis. This is what Gsouder is trying to tell you. “Not all skinheads are nazis” is like saying “not all dogs are dogs”.

There’s no such thing as a non-racist skinhead.

So, I’d love to hear your definition of the word. That it managed to not mean nazi in your country is simply fascinating.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger
poxphobia;75992 wrote:
Just because people assume something, doesn’t mean they’re right.
I know tons of skinheads. Non of them are racist.

I have met tons of racists and very few of them were skinheads

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

My god… I just freakin answered a question based on my point of view.
Refering to the skinhead STYLE, which tattoos are a part of! My mear point is that you can have a tattoo, without it meaning what it once meant, or mean to some.
the STYLE, not necessarily the whole freakin subculture.

http://www.prejudiceinstitute.org/skinheadsFS.html

Quote:
Editor’s note–This factsheet describes neo-Nazi skinheads. There are numerous individuals and groups also using the tag of “skinheads” who are not involved in white supremacist or otherwise authoritarian and elitist activities.

Get it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.