toosday
Participant
@toosday

Hey guys. I have some things about choosing an artist that are keeping me from going ahead with more tattoos. I’ve been struggling with this quite a while. There are only a few good shops in OK, and I have no qualms about driving to TX. I thought I’d settled on a shop from Peterpooses awesome list and have been following their shop and personal twitter/fb/instagram pages for months now.

I looked at the shop owners page and it looks like ideas have to be submitted and accepted for her to work on someone. So that artist is very likely not an option for me, because my need is for a little small add on.
I worked up the nerve to email my next choice in her shop and explained my situation and was kindly declined but was given three alternative artists potions in that shop.
The problem is, I’m not sure I like the quality or style of the others so I guess im out of luck with that shop? Am I always going to be relegated down to the not-as-good artists?

Once I do find someone, Im not sure how to go about discussing ideas and details….over email? I’m going to likely be open to suggestions about what to do with my piece I want worked on (not covered up) so is it good to not have much to supply the artist? I’ve been turned away beforefor not having a piece ready to go. I’m confused about how much research to do if I cant bring in a Google Image or whatever.

Help!

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i have found in the past that a lot of artists, particularly very talented artists will not “add on” to another artists work, particularly if that work isnt particularly high standard. They dont want to be associated with something that is 90% someone else especially if that work is a lot worse than theirs. If you want to be tattooed by these people i suggest approaching them with fresh and blank skin and a proposal for a concept with references. Be prepared to pay and to pay a lot, remembering the old adage of “Cheap tattoos arent good and good tattoos arent cheap”. im afraid i do think you will really struggle to find a talented artist to “add on” to an original piece im afraid!

toosday
Participant
@toosday

Hmm. That is a bummer. I hate to think I’m stuck with a tattoo that i can’t have altered. Its becoming very hard for me to feel like i can ever trust an artist, which is sad because i love tattoos and want more. I can see your point tho. So, they likely would not ever tattoo around it? Its not bad quality at all, just did not come out as realistic as i expected or wanted. And that location didnt hurt as much as i thought, so id love to have more in that area, but i prefer a new artist, and a good one who will listen to my concerns. I also dont have any problem paying the right amount of money, either, i understand the difference. I guess i just don’t know how to find a good artist im willing to pay, who will be willing to work.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

its a tough one and i get where you’re coming from, i like to mix and match my artists, some of them are very qilling to do more pieces to compliment something that is already there but they arent going to be your David Croden, Carlos Torres, Bez, Nikko Hurtado artists, they are more likely to be popular, on the rise local lesser known artists. look at local portfolios, you can find some gems that have reached super star status yet but are still incredibly talented. just means they dont have the ego that stops them from taking on projects like this.

toosday
Participant
@toosday

I understand. That is what i thought i was doing, ie finding a great talented artist who may not be a household name, but is still better than the rest. I’m exhausted and haven’t even made a single step of progress yet. Ill try following work for another shop.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.