BigLoughlin
Participant
@bigloughlin

Hey guys, first post but likely not the last 😛
I was wondering if anyone has experienced any kind of anxiety from having their tattoo further worked on? I had an unfinished shoulder piece for nearly a year (due to financial speedbumps) and I finally got it worked on yesterday.. I don’t ‘dislike’ how it’s progressing, because i’m staying optimistic for the final product, but it’s the first time i’ve walked out of a studio not loving the current state of it. The outline and my first tattoo both were the best feeling of wanting to show it off to everyone, and this one is just making me want to put on a sweater and hide it. I don’t want to give the wrong impression that it’s bad, and I’ve still got two hours of detailing to go, but I got used to how it was before and now that it’s gone from outline and some shading, to 75% shaded, it’s at an awkward phase prior to the final result. Is that something I should talk to my artist about? I don’t want this to turn into a “I watched myself get a bad haircut and didn’t say something” type event.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I guess it is completely normal feeling as it is your skin and its for life. I was even unsure about mine while having it done and I have a top artist in the world doing it lol

I was thinking to myself, I hope I like it, What if he does something I don’t like etc etc but it was all fine in the end I was very happy !

Can you post a pic please?

BigLoughlin
Participant
@bigloughlin

IMG_0267.jpg

That was it after the first session

IMG_0490.jpg

That’s it now

IMG_0491.jpg

And that’s my biggest concern.. The darker area totally stands out weird to me because of the intensity of the black versus all the grey, and the main black fill looks like it was sharpied on. I’m hoping it’s because that’s what we were working on last (the dark upper area) and so it’s got more time to be put into it.. how much difference will another 2 hour session make?

We also hadn’t said anything about colour, the original idea was black and grey so i’m not sure where the brown/copper came from but I think with some more work it will grow on me.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I feel you man. I just got my first multi-session piece last month and it’s already killing me to have it incomplete – and I have no idea when this guy will be back in the US. It may be a year or two – or he may never come back and I may have to get someone else to finish it. Shitty feeling and I don’t think I would do it again. I don’t mind waiting 1 month, 3 months, 6 months … but having no idea when or if a piece will be completed is fckn’ killing me.

BigLoughlin
Participant
@bigloughlin

Yeah that’s a tough one, and you don’t want to use a different artist just in case there’s an evident change in style or something noticeable or whatever too. I’m one of those people who finds someone i like and sticks with them so scheduling can be a big pain. Fortunately I’ve got the finishing touches booked for may 9th, so it was a short wait for me.

Cardinal
Participant
@cardinal

I follow Jeff Gogue on Instagram and he posted a picture of a piece the other day which he was just finishing four years after he started it!! The perils of having a large peice by a very in demand artist I guess.

I have a half finished peice at the moment – going in on Tuesday to have it finished. Two of my tattoos have been multi-session; I know I couldn’t leave the shop unless I knew exactly when I was going back, I’m too neurotic about that sort of thing.

I’m sure you’ll learn to love it again once it’s finished – it is in transition at the moment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.