iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

Hello! It’s been a long time since I’ve been on due to graduating high school a semester early, getting a promotion and planning to move…but I’m back for now. I will be getting my first tattoo this July around my 18th birthday. I’ve decided on the artist I want, not quite sure what I want yet but thats a problem for another night. My question is: When should I start consulting with the artist? I have a feeling its going to take a couple consults to figure out exactly what I want. I’m moving far, far away from this artist 3 weeks after my 18th birthday so I won’t have the time to do a bunch of consults then. Should I start talking with him in like May or June and getting what I want pinned down? Or should I wait? Is it alright, legally, for him to be consulting with a 17 year old? Thanks a bunch! ๐Ÿ™‚

Funk
Participant
@funk

I’m sure he could talk to you legally, but if you don’t know what you want, you shouldn’t be getting a tattoo. Also, don’t rush this, take your time. You have your whole life for ink.

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi
Funk;108313 wrote:
I’m sure he could talk to you legally, but if you don’t know what you want, you shouldn’t be getting a tattoo. Also, don’t rush this, take your time. You have your whole life for ink.

I have a couple different ideas, just not sure which one I want to do first and where they would best fit. I want his opinion on that. I know I have many years to get inked, just need to get my toes wet. I would never get something just for the sake of getting something done. ๐Ÿ™‚

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Start talking to him now. Heck there are plenty of guys you could call today and not get in to see until next year.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

As the post above said talk now. There are no legal problems going and as long as you make it clear you are 17 at the moment and you won’t be getting the tattoo until you are 18 there is NO problem. Explain your situation about moving away and although I don’t know the shop you are going to go to, the ones near me would be very pleased and really help you. Please report back!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no doubt, I would start talking now, get some feedback on your ideas and explore what is possible, good luck, we cant wait to congratulate you on your first

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

and welcome back to the forum, we are glad you came back!

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Hey.
I always make sure I have an understanding of what style of tattoo and what subject matter I am looking at before I go for consult as it is difficult to have a consultation if you go in and say I want a tattoo and have no ideas at this stage.

If you have a couple of ideas that your trying to decide on then take these ideas to your artist and they will no doubt give you their opinion in which will translate in to the better tattoo.

As mentioned by MrChen a good artist will have a moderate to long waiting list some artists are happy to book over a year in advance and some like to keep to a few months so this would give the artist time to sketch the two ideas up and then you could always decide from this point onwards which one you have set your mind on.

Make sure you do a lot of research before 100% decide on an artist as when I was starting the research process I was not very educated in what to look for but now I know the difference between bad, good and excellent work and this is very important before setting a date and time for your tattoo.

It is worth finding out who does excellent work in your country in the style you are looking for researching their portfolios and scrutinizing them heavily even if they are not within travelling distance for you as this will help when looking at artists portfolios a bit nearer home and you can compare the skill levels.

Good luck and post photos when done.:D

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

Thanks guys! That’s what I thought. I emailed him a couple days ago. I’ve done a good amount of scrutinizing his work. I think he’s really good but of course I couldn’t just go on my opinion since I’m no artist. I made a post a while ago that was to get opinions on his work and everybody thought he was really good. (http://www.thetattooforum.com/opinions-artists-work-t19126.html?t=19126) I’ll keep everybody updated as we pin down what I’m going to get. Thanks!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

cool, Jessee has skills, cant wait to see what you get done, you cant go wrong with him

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
iggybuddi;108369 wrote:
Thanks guys! That’s what I thought. I emailed him a couple days ago. I’ve done a good amount of scrutinizing his work. I think he’s really good but of course I couldn’t just go on my opinion since I’m no artist. I made a post a while ago that was to get opinions on his work and everybody thought he was really good. (http://www.thetattooforum.com/opinions-artists-work-t19126.html?t=19126) I’ll keep everybody updated as we pin down what I’m going to get. Thanks!

Oh I remember that post … many months ago. ๐Ÿ™‚ Jesse is a good choice. Still love that duck tattoo.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Just had a look at the closed poll.

I would also go with amazing, very nice work!!!

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

http://www.thetattooforum.com/well-think-ive-decided-t20935.html

Here is what I’ve decided. Let me know what you all think ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the advice!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.