DrewTattoo
Participant
@drewtattoo

Hello all.

I’m new to this forum and new to tattoos
For years now I have been wanting to get a Canadian Leaf tattoo on my chest over my heart.
I’ve been doing research for a while now and I have found one tattoo that someone else has (I have no idea who he is or anything about him) but it is almost exactly what I want.

Obviously I want to make it my own and have been thinking of ways and ideas as to how I can really personalize it.
I will be getting it done at Hart and Huntington Niagara Falls.

maple-leave-tat.jpg

If anyone has any ideas or questions, I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Just get it done better then that one.

hamsternuts
Participant
@hamsternuts

didn’t think it was that bad meself

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Buttwheat you do make me laugh.
Now make a bit more effort and educate the poor boy by pointing out whats wrong with the tattoo pictured.
With a bit more knowledge and knowing what to look for I am sure he will achieve a better outcome and be eternal grateful for your help.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Cornishtiger;104899 wrote:
Buttwheat you do make me laugh.
Now make a bit more effort and educate the poor boy by pointing out whats wrong with the tattoo pictured.
With a bit more knowledge and knowing what to look for I am sure he will achieve a better outcome and be eternal grateful for your help.

The line work is wonky. The shading is amateurish. The shadow under it should look like it is coming from one light source this one looks as if the shadow is just random. That is a fresh tattoo (note the blood) it should be crisp this looks dull. That much white won’t hold up for very long at all.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

choose the best artist they have and customize the design with him oir her,

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger
buttwheat;104912 wrote:
The line work is wonky. The shading is amateurish. The shadow under it should look like it is coming from one light source this one looks as if the shadow is just random. That is a fresh tattoo (note the blood) it should be crisp this looks dull. That much white won’t hold up for very long at all.

Now thats much better bud. Did you get a warm fuzzy feeling all over? LOL

DrewTattoo
Participant
@drewtattoo
buttwheat;104912 wrote:

lol Thank you. I do appreciate the comments.

I see what you mean by the shadow appearing to be random and coming from one light source.
I also agree and understand what you mean with the white not holding up for very long.
I intend on the colour locations more closely resembling the Canadian flag(Red on outside of each sides, then white and one again red in the center). That would reduce the amount of white involved.

As for Mrchen’s advice to go over a design with the artist him/herself, I agree and will do so.
I will not be getting the tattoo for at least another 3-4 months and will continue to research before I decided on exactly what I want.

If anyone else has any more comments, advice or any general opinions, everything is appreciated.

Thanks

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200
DrewTattoo;104942 wrote:
lol Thank you. I do appreciate the comments.

I see what you mean by the shadow appearing to be random and coming from one light source.
I also agree and understand what you mean with the white not holding up for very long.
I intend on the colour locations more closely resembling the Canadian flag(Red on outside of each sides, then white and one again red in the center). That would reduce the amount of white involved.

As for Mrchen’s advice to go over a design with the artist him/herself, I agree and will do so.
I will not be getting the tattoo for at least another 3-4 months and will continue to research before I decided on exactly what I want.

If anyone else has any more comments, advice or any general opinions, everything is appreciated.

Thanks

i love people like this, people who ask a question receive legitimate answers and appreciate the knowledge and experience that others are trying to share with them. props to you babe, if you continue to heed the advice of these guys i absolutely guarantee that you will end up with something amazing!

buttwheat is absolutely right about white ink though, if it even heals white at all (it will often take a tinged hue depending on skin tone) it doesnt stay bright and white for long and fades wuite quickly and can often just end up looking kind of like scar tissue if its more than just a few highlights (i had some on my wrist before i had it redone and it went a peachy off white colour and now the only remaining bit of it that wasnt coloured looks like scar tissue when it’s not) i think that you could come up with a really good design. of course you can always have a flag rather than shading the leaf? not very inventive i know but its an option lol x

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
DrewTattoo;104942 wrote:

If you are planning for this in 3 to 4 months you should be researching your artists. Most good artists will have a month or longer waiting list and great artists a year or more. If the artist says “I can do it next Saturday” be very wary.

Any artist you are thinking about you can post a link here to his work and we can take a look at his work for you.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I can do it next week! He doesn’t live far from me. I’m right across the Peace Bridge. I can make you a pretty nice maple leaf tattoo in all seriousness.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
buttwheat;105229 wrote:
If the artist says “I can do it next Saturday” be very wary.
DavidJednat;105230 wrote:
I can do it next week!

LOL!

There are exceptions to every rule, obviously. Very few people worth going to will have such a short waiting list 😀

DrewTattoo
Participant
@drewtattoo

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Here is a link to the place I will be getting it done.
http://www.hartandhuntingtonniagara.com/

Unfortunately I am not living in the area yet so I am unable to go in and meet with any of the artists.
Once I move down there I will definitely speak with them and get much more input.

Basically before I speak with any of the artists, I want to be as knowledgeable and informed as possible.
How long do you think it would take to get a tattoo done with a similar design as the one pictured above.
The pain is really a non issue considering its a one time pain for something I’m going to have for the rest of my life, but out of curiosity, how would you rate the pain level for tattoos on the chest to other areas?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
DrewTattoo;105281 wrote:
How long do you think it would take to get a tattoo done with a similar design as the one pictured above.

Each artist works at different speeds. I would say an average time would be 3-4 hours.

DrewTattoo;105281 wrote:
The pain is really a non issue considering its a one time pain for something I’m going to have for the rest of my life, but out of curiosity, how would you rate the pain level for tattoos on the chest to other areas?

Good attitude. My pec was a cakewalk but it did get a bit eye opening around the nipple. Tattoos hurt period.

From the shop you posted This would be my pick of artists for this tattoo: Maggie,Rich,Graham in that order with Graham a bit behind the other two.
Good luck

DrewTattoo
Participant
@drewtattoo
buttwheat;105292 wrote:
Each artist works at different speeds. I would say an average time would be 3-4 hours.

Good attitude. My pec was a cakewalk but it did get a bit eye opening around the nipple. Tattoos hurt period.

From the shop you posted This would be my pick of artists for this tattoo: Maggie,Rich,Graham in that order with Graham a bit behind the other two.
Good luck

What is your reasoning for these three artists? Just from the info available on the website or do you know of them from anything else?

I just looked at their work displayed on the website and agree that they seem to have high quality work(It’s not fair for me to say much more because I really am far from a professional in terms of judgement).

On a side note, does anyone reading this thread know anything about Hart and Huntington in terms of their work or quality? I’ve heard nothing but good things myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.