lookitsandrea
Participant
@lookitsandrea

Hey guys! 🙂

This is my first post here on the forum, glad to be here!

Anyway, I’ve been interested in getting a tattoo for a while, but only recently just got the “courage” to actually go through with it (as in, I will actually do it). I would like to get a tattoo over my winter break, so I need to plan.

I want the tattoo to eventually look like this, on my right shoulder blade (because I hear that’s one of the least painful areas to be tattooed first).

http://www.liahalsall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/phoenix_v2_by_thejasminedragon-384×519-custom.jpg

However, that looks like it would be extremely expensive to start, and take a long time. For a first tattoo, I want something complex and beautiful, but not painful.

Would that tattoo artist be able to do a simple black and white version of this, and then later down the road, would it be easy to add the color and more detail?

Thanks for any suggestions! 🙂

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the phoenix is a classic tattoo still done all the time today
you could start this one with a good artist in my area for a few hundred dollars, just line work

really depends how big you want to go, I will advise you bigger is better, most people regret not getting a tatoo they like bigger,

BUT go find a GOOD, REAL GOOD artist before you do anything, we dont want yuou wearing something you will regret. Unfortunately more than half the people calling themselves tattoo artists are not any good

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Welcome to the forum!

You can have your artist make that as small or as big as you would like. Mr Chen is spot on: go find a GOOD tattoo artist in your area. Ask for referrals, go into shops, look at their work, talk to them about what you want to do, etc. Bottom line, this will be on you forever! Take your time, do it right the first time, and remember that you get what you pay for.

As far as pain goes, tattoos hurt. Period. Some people can handle it better than others, but there is a fair amount of discomfort no matter where you get it. Make sure you eat before you go, and if its going to be a few hours or more, take a snack and a soda with you to keep your blood sugar up.

Let us know what you decide, and make sure post pics when you’re done so we can check it out. Good luck!

hamsternuts
Participant
@hamsternuts

nice design

i agree with the others, take time to find someone quality

i would say however, don’t get it on your shoulder blade JUST because it’s supposedly less painful, get it where you want it, and man up

tattoos hurt, it’s all part of the process

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Welcome aboard.

HarrisAlanify
Participant
@harrisalanify

Since this is your first time to get a tattoo, it is suggested that you should make everything clear. Can you stand the pain? Which picture do you prefer? What size? Do you have a good artist? How to care the tattoo? Can you become easily infected? What’s the price? …
List all your questions and find out the answers and find out whether you are sure that you still want to tattoo.
Good Luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.