Lyrric
Participant
@lyrric

I know this is probably stupid and feel free to rip me apart over it, but here’s my issue. I’m getting a new tattoo for my birthday, which is coming up next week (although I don’t have to get it on my birthday or anything). I wanted an abstract art deco thing and I went into a tattoo shop at the end of May and talked to an artist there and she sounded excited about designing it. I emailed her some example pictures. It took 3 weeks to get the first design back and it was way too flowery and not what I wanted so I sent her some feedback and more example pictures for ideas. Two and a half weeks passed with no acknowledgement of any kind so I didn’t know if I had offended her or what was going on. I emailed her to say “If you’re not feeling this or don’t have time for it just let me know. That’s cool and all. I don’t want to waste your time and I can look for someone else to design it if you’d rather.” When she finally got back to me she said “I’m definitely into it, I promise” but gave me a referral to someone else in case I thought that would work better. I said I was happy to keep working with her if she wanted to do it and if she felt she had time for it.

Eventually she sent me the second design, which is much more the right style and I like it but I don’t love it. We talked a bit more and after a while I got her third design, which I also like but it looks more tribal and much less art deco. Now she just emailed me to ask when I want to come in and get it done.

At this point it’s been 8 weeks since we started, which feels like a really long time but on the other hand she’s only done three designs. I don’t want to be unreasonable but I also want to LOVE the tattoo I’m going to get. What do I tell her? I don’t want her to have put in all that work for nothing but it’s taken so long just to get three designs out of her. As her enthusiasm wanes I expect it will just take longer and longer. Meanwhile I really want this tattoo. Should I go to another artist? What’s the etiquette for this sort of thing?

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500

any way we can see these pics?

the tree on my arm was free handed on me by the tattoo artist i go to. i went in there with a drawing i did that he actually liked. but what he did on my arm didnt look like mine… but i love it anyway. when he first drew it on me i was a lil worried but i love it either way.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Just be honest and tell him you don’t like it. You can’t get something tattoo’d on you just because you feel bad..

ArniVidar
@arnividar

If she can’t create the tattoo that you want, you have to move on to a different artist. It’s obvious that she doesn’t share your vision. If she wants to keep trying, then okay, but DON’T get tattooed unless you’re 100% happy with the design.

I assume you’ve already paid a deposit… that just goes towards her design work, so if you go to a new artist you’ll lose the deposit but that is nothing compared to getting a tattoo that you don’t like.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

arni knows he’s stuff!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
ArniVidar;91300 wrote:
If she can’t create the tattoo that you want, you have to move on to a different artist. It’s obvious that she doesn’t share your vision. If she wants to keep trying, then okay, but DON’T get tattooed unless you’re 100% happy with the design.

I assume you’ve already paid a deposit… that just goes towards her design work, so if you go to a new artist you’ll lose the deposit but that is nothing compared to getting a tattoo that you don’t like.

^^^This ^^^^ nuff said.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
ArniVidar;91300 wrote:

+3 … and if you haven’t left a deposit, the right thing to do would be to throw her something for her time imho. I would anyway.

Lyrric
Participant
@lyrric

Okay, thanks everyone. I hadn’t left a deposit (although I asked if I should, in one of the several emails she didn’t reply to weeks ago), so I just emailed her to say why the designs aren’t working for me and that maybe we aren’t a match but that I’m happy to pay something for the designs if she tells me what she thinks is fair.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You’re very welcome.

Would you mind sharing perhaps one sketch or so and telling us what your concept is? Perhaps someone here can suggest an alternative artist in your area?

Lyrric
Participant
@lyrric

Sure. I’m in Seattle, WA.

This is the one she did that’s closest to the right style:

deco1c.jpg

[Edit: sorry, I left out the concept part] I want something black and white, simple, highly-stylized, art deco, geometric with sharp angles and straight lines. I’m looking for a mostly vertical design to go on my upper back, I’m thinking by my shoulder blade. Maybe 6″ high.

And here is the one that’s too pretty and the one that’s too tribal:
decocopy.jpg deco3.jpg

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Who was the artist? I’m in the Seattle area.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Okay, at first I was thinking “Eight weeks for three designs?” but from the pics it seems obvious that she really did put some effort into it. She’s definitely talented, probably busy, so if you are both patient and willing to make the effort to get exactly what you want, I say stick with her. However, the fact that she has referred you to another artist tells me she either is not that interested or is just really busy. I would recommend contacting this other artist, seeing what they have to offer, and moving on from there. Good luck!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Btw, this artist is SERIOUSLY talented and has obviously obtained some sort of degree. Beautiful work.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Those sketches are really good, and by your request they sound just like what you wanted.

No wonder your artist has the shits with you. She’s probably going to lose money on this one.

If you want something extremely specific, you should draw it yourself and bring it to her. If you want real art, you’re supposed to let your artist have artistic freedom.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Amok;91597 wrote:
Those sketches are really good, and by your request they sound just like what you wanted.

No wonder your artist has the shits with you. She’s probably going to lose money on this one.

If you want something extremely specific, you should draw it yourself and bring it to her. If you want real art, you’re supposed to let your artist have artistic freedom.

I agree with this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.