msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

I have some moles and they are right where I want tattoos. Do I need to have them removed before getting my tattoo(s)? If so, how long after having them removed can I go ahead and get my tattoo? Anyone else ever have this issue?

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I think anything that’s raised above the skin can’t be tattooed. Not 100% sure, but it makes sense to me. 😮

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

If they are small tattoos I wouldn’t worry about them. If they are big they can tattoo around them. If you have them removed it will leave a small scar, the scar will need some time to heal before you start jabbing it with a needle. Probably should wait 3 to 6 months or longer depending on the size of scar.
I have a mole about the size of a BB that is in the purple scarf of my Yukon Cornelius tattoo that he tattooed around it.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I remember someone (Sherav?) saying that you need any scar to have turned the milky pink color of old scars to be able to tattoo over it. That takes years, at least on my body.

Adler
Participant
@adler
ArniVidar;89270 wrote:
I remember someone (Sherav?) saying that you need any scar to have turned the milky pink color of old scars to be able to tattoo over it. That takes years, at least on my body.

Yeah that’s true, I had a biceps tendon surgery scar tattooed over and it was a few years old or the artist said he wouldn’t touch it. I’m not sure how it works with moles though.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In answer to your question moles can be tattooed over however what most ppl who tout this fact may miss out the following points;

It can cause the mole to change and possibly develop into something nasty and cancerous. (Not in every case but would you take the risk?).

The pigment would normally be patchy or become totally rejected making the tattoo a right mess as it will really stand out.

The best thing to do is to avoid tattooing over moles. If you do want them removing needs to be done by a professional.

The scar needs a min of 12 mths to fully heal below the surface. Some get away with 6 mths but really you run the risk of the scar tissue tearing and the ink blowing out.

If the scar is pink n shiny it is not ready has to be pale and white. Even then only surface scars tend to hold ink well but depends on age, skin condition, ethnicity and colour of the pigment.

Take care
Matthew

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Well, I guess I’ll have to choose another location for my tattoo. I don’t think going around the mole is a good idea only because there is always the possibility it could change and need to be removed and then that would mess up any tattoo I had. I don’t want to have it/them removed and have to wait a year either.

Perhaps if I had them frozen or burned off rather than cut out, there would be a faster healing time and less scarring???? But then the possibility of it growing back could be a problem. Hmmmm.

Amok
Participant
@amok

NEVER Burn or freeze off a mole, this can lead to cancer remaining undetected. All moles must be excised (cut out surgically). If anyone ever offers to freeze or burn off a mole for you, you should be very worried.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
Amok;89304 wrote:
NEVER Burn or freeze off a mole, this can lead to cancer remaining undetected. All moles must be excised (cut out surgically). If anyone ever offers to freeze or burn off a mole for you, you should be very worried.

I never knew that. I had one burned off years ago and it came back Had it burned off again and it came back. I finally gave up on it. Should have had it cut out. Thanks for the info!

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy

i have a mole tatted over… no problems as of yet

Amok
Participant
@amok
DOJAGUY;89325 wrote:
i have a mole tatted over… no problems as of yet

So do I actually, its not a good thing I can tell you. If I had known my tattoo artist would go over a mole I would not have let him touch me. The problem with tattoos over a mole is that moles should be checked yearly for signs of cancer. If the mole has a tattoo over it, its much harder to detect any changes in the mole itself. Tattoos also aggravate the mole, and who knows what that could do to it.

I would recommend you specifically ask your artist to avoid any moles you have before they tattoo you. In fact, its illegal in some US states and other parts of the world to tattoo over a mole.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.