rksvn
Participant
@rksvn

Alright..

Hey there!

I’ll be getting my first tattoo aaaaand, well, i have a few questions.
It’s not going to be exactly what i’m showing you here, of course (i suck at drawing) but it conveys the idea.
It might get a little bit more detailed (and by detailed i mean a litle.. dirtier, maybe more bats, some little ones ‘in the distance’ here and there to give it a little more depth, etc – but absolutely no shading, just simple black shapes, as it is on the photo.

And it’s going to cover my back.
I’m pretty small, 1,66m, not too skinny, nowhere near bulky, so i guess average.

So, basically – a swam of bats kindof forming an S (yes, i know it doesn’t show) going from smaller on my lower back to bigger and bigger as we go up, ending somewhere below the neckline.

Here’s the picture:
http://i.imgur.com/3qLUs.jpg

Aaaand, the questions – standard stuff:
How long would it take/how much would it cost, on average?
Is lying on my back something i should not do for a few weeks after i get it?
I know that in the end i’ll just have to go to the tattoo shop and ask, but i’d like to get a rough idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

Amok
Participant
@amok

Not sure about cost but you will be able to lie on your back after a couple days,when it stops feeling tender

rksvn
Participant
@rksvn

Well, the cost question is like a secondary, out-of-curiosity one, i’m going to the best shop in my city no matter how much it would cost. I mean, i have only one body to wreck, might as well do it properly.

I’m more interested in how long would it take, seems like a really simple and quick-to-finish thing to do, but people i’ve asked so far seem to have different opinion on that.
So i decided to ask someone who.. actually knows what’s he/she’s talking about.
And here i am!

You could also tell me how horrible of an idea it is, i don’t mind.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

It would take between 20 minutes and 4 hours depending on the artist. Most decent artist wont touch it because it’s pretty lame and hold no artistic value to have their name attached to it. But if that’s what you want go get it by all means.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Interesting tattoo idea

rksvn
Participant
@rksvn

Not that i’m questioning your judgement, i’m just wondering what exactly does make a tattoo lame?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
rksvn;89063 wrote:
Not that i’m questioning your judgement, i’m just wondering what exactly does make a tattoo lame?

It is just black silhouettes of bats. this is what makes it lame. add some shading and some background then it gets a little better.
bat_leg_tattoo_by_lisaplatt-d390drk.jpg

or even way better go color

battybat.jpg

rksvn
Participant
@rksvn

Hm, well – the first one looks fine, but.. that’s not really what i’m going for.

I know that it could be a really intricate piece of art, but that’s the point, i want it to stay minimalistic.
I didn’t choose what i chose because i couldn’t think of anything else – i chose it for a reason.
The bats might become a little more.. detailed in the process, and they will definitely get some kind of a backdrop, but but shading is completely out of question.
So is color, i’m afraid.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
buttwheat;89043 wrote:
Most decent artist wont touch it because it’s pretty lame and hold no artistic value to have their name attached to it.

Wow… that’s way out there now.

Most decent artists won’t touch it cause it’s lame? They’re there to do a job and make money. If someone wanted a dick tattooed on their cheek, the artist (any artist) should do it because it’s their job and they got bills to pay too. It holds no artistic value and they don’t want their name attached to it? I don’t think getting a tattoo someone wants has to have any artistic value to the artist and it’s not like the artist is tattooing their name to the piece… and really, how often are people going to ask “who tattooed you?”.

Not trying to start shit, but just being realistic. 😉

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
imperial1904;89070 wrote:

Most decent artists won’t touch it cause it’s lame? They’re there to do a job and make money. If someone wanted a dick tattooed on their cheek, the artist (any artist) should do it because it’s their job and they got bills to pay too. It holds no artistic value and they don’t want their name attached to it? I don’t think getting a tattoo someone wants has to have any artistic value to the artist and it’s not like the artist is tattooing their name to the piece… and really, how often are people going to ask “who tattooed you?”.

It depends on how good the artist is, and where they are in their career. In the beginning, yes, you do what you have to do to make money.

However, an established artist has something to lose. Tattooing is a business that runs primarily by word of mouth. If your ink is good, people will ask you who did it. I get asked that question at least six, seven times a week, and I am a prick. Over the years, my artist feels like I’ve driven him $20k worth of business simply because I tell people who did my work. I’m not alone. Most people are quite willing to talk about their ink, and who and where is usually the first question.

Putting shit art out there advertises you don’t give a damn. That your customers are just walking dollar signs to you, or worse, that you’re unskilled. That you ain’t a professional. Because every piece you put out in the world with your name on it is an advertisement. It has a very real potential to draw new customers, and drive them away.

So, I guess what I’m saying is, shove that know it all tone of yours up your asshole because you ain’t got no idea what the fuck you’re talking about.

Moron.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

It’s the same reason every legitimate tattoo artist, at least in Cincinnati, refuses to do racist, gang related, or otherwise bigoted art–you don’t want to be that guy. That guy makes no money, and is pretty much hated by other artists.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
KnightHawk;89071 wrote:
It depends on how good the artist is, and where they are in their career. In the beginning, yes, you do what you have to do to make money.

However, an established artist has something to lose. Tattooing is a business that runs primarily by word of mouth. If your ink is good, people will ask you who did it. I get asked that question at least six, seven times a week, and I am a prick. Over the years, my artist feels like I’ve driven him $20k worth of business simply because I tell people who did my work. I’m not alone. Most people are quite willing to talk about their ink, and who and where is usually the first question.

Putting shit art out there advertises you don’t give a damn. That your customers are just walking dollar signs to you, or worse, that you’re unskilled. That you ain’t a professional. Because every piece you put out in the world with your name on it is an advertisement. It has a very real potential to draw new customers, and drive them away.

So, I guess what I’m saying is, shove that know it all tone of yours up your asshole because you ain’t got no idea what the fuck you’re talking about.

Moron.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

You should take your own advise there, moron. :p

So you’re saying you’ve never seen a well respected artist, well into his/her career, tattoo something as simple as silhouettes of bats?

Now racist, gang related, etc. tattoos, that’s a good point.

Good posts… Ami James!! 😀

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
imperial1904;89070 wrote:

KnightHawk;89071 wrote:

Moron.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Well said. People ask me all the time who has done my work.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
rksvn;89063 wrote:

This is what makes it lame:

rksvn;89066 wrote:
I know that it could be a really intricate piece of art, but that’s the point, i want it to stay minimalistic.
I didn’t choose what i chose because i couldn’t think of anything else – i chose it for a reason.
The bats might become a little more.. detailed in the process, and they will definitely get some kind of a backdrop, but but shading is completely out of question.
So is color, i’m afraid.
rksvn
Participant
@rksvn

Yep, got it the first time, you hate the idea. Way to convey the point.

You might want to ease down on the generalizations though – apples and oranges. What you consider ‘not-lame’ i might consider kitsch and overdone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.