Tyrant_King
Participant
@tyrant_king

I’m interested in knowing how a tattoo artist prefers the layout of the art to be tattooed? I know the answers are going to be different for different people that is why I am posting the question.
As a tattoo artist if a client wants a tattoo of for example a half or full sleeve of their art do you prefer the art to be flat and full size or just a general drawing of how it looks on the arm?

Thx

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Why do you ask?

Tyrant_King
Participant
@tyrant_king

I ask because I’m an artist drawing my own tattoo and I don’t have a tat artist picked out yet. I do however want to start on my design so I can have it ready.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

there are differences between good art and good tattooable art………you are going to have to know the difference if you are planning on doing the actual artwork that you want on your body….

i’d suggest just drawing up what you are thinking and let the tattoo artist translate it into something that would look good as a tattoo…………..

Tyrant_King
Participant
@tyrant_king

Arnivider thanks for the info…
Yeah I’m aware of how tattoo art is different I have designed two dozen or so stand alone tattoos just never a sleeve.
So as far as knowing what makes a tattooable design, I’m ok there.
Thanks again.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

fair enough,,,,,,,,,please post up the tattoo artworks you’ve done and pics of teh finished tattoo’s

Tyrant_King
Participant
@tyrant_king

LOL reefdiver I’ll be happy to post the designs and photos of the finished tats that I have. Some were designed close to fifteen years ago (when I was younger, dumber and didn’t have the foresight to take pics of my work, lol) so I don’t have all of them. I’ll see what I can get together this evening when I’m not answering from my iPhone. lol

stubarber
Participant
@stubarber

A good artist will design the tattoo around the actual curves and shapes in your particular arm.

Your going to have to be flexible in your design, and you’re going to have to find an artist who is both good and tolerant. Many real artists are going to be bored copying your design, and an average tattooist probably isn’t going to be able to exactly translate your drawing to ink on skin.

I kinow this because I had the same plan some 30 years ago.

If you want an inspired tattoo, consider finding a real tattoo artist whose work you respect and then have them draw something that still appeals to you.

mporcelhall
Participant
@mporcelhall

I think it depends on how much freedom you are going to give the artist, i’d perfer just pics and go from there

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.