JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Hey everyone,

I’m looking at artists at the moment for a tatt I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I have one tattoo from 20 years ago on my ankle. I was young and stupid at the time, and think it was more to piss off Dad than anything else. I’ve never regretted it, but do wish I’d gotten something more meaningful than a Grateful Dead bear. LOL.

Anyway, I’ve thought about a cover up, but ended up coming up with an idea over the past 6 months or so that’s taken on a life of it’s own and I’m now thinking I’d rather have that done in another area.

I’d like to incorporate a tree, with the roots tying into some Celtic knot work, and a Mynah bird (similar to a raven but with a touch of color). I’m considering my upper back, 1/2 sleeve, or maybe something on the arm that extends onto the shoulder as well. I’m open to placement depending on how the design evolves and would look best.

Right now, I’m looking at artists and tend to lean towards the more realistic styles without going full blown realism. I definitely want to make sure that I’m not going to have a huge blob in a few years.

I’d like some opinions on Shawn Conn’s work. I’m leaning heavily in his direction. He’s not available for a few months, but I’m not in any rush. Here’s his portfolio: http://www.theultimatebody.net/artists/shawn/shawn_port/index.html

I’m in Rochester, NY… so artist suggestions for the Rochester or Buffalo area are welcome as well. I’ve been portfolio surfing for a few weeks, but I’m not familiar enough with tattoos to know which ones are executed better than others other than what I think looks good.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

I took a look at the portfolio you posted. His work doesn’t suit my taste, but does look well done and consistent – so, if you like his style, you’re probably in good hands with him.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Thanks for taking a look. I know what you mean. I’ve looked at a lot of artists I think are great, but don’t work in the style I’m looking for.

Your tatts are sweet. I love the feel of the tree in particular….. very cool. Like you said about Shawns stuff, not my style but definitely nice. I like the added interest of the lone tulip at the bottom.

I’m ditching the tree idea for my own at this point and going for a very custom fantasy bird, probably a 1/2 sleeve. I ran into a guy with an eagle Shawn did a few months ago and it still looks good a few years in…
crying_eagle.jpg

He seems to have a pretty good handle on realism and fantasy work, so I’m going to swing by when he’s supposed to be there and start the ideas flowing. We’ll see what happens.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

You are in luck my friend. I too am from the Rochester area and I can reccommed two artist from the area that you may want to check out.

Tom Sherman from Full Tilt Kustom Tattoos in LeRoy, NY is a great choice for any style you desire. I have 4 tattoos from Tom and they all came out great. If its line work that impresses you, you can’t miss. Check out his website at: http://fulltiltkustomtattoo.com/ or better yet check him out on Facebook (there are more pics in his FB account.

You should also check out Dawn Kelley at Lucky Lotus Tattoo. Her portraits are the best around and if it is realism you want, there are only a few better.

Good luck with your search.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Thanks guys!

I’ve seen Cory’s work before. Emailed back and forth a while ago, unfortunately our schedules just won’t work for multiple sittings and he didn’t seem that into what I’m looking for. He does great realism though!

I’ve been emailing Dawn Kelley and Shawn Conn…. going to see both this week and go with whoever I click with creatively. Both are booked out for months, so apparently in demand. That’s always a good sign. LOL

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

You can also try Steven or Joel at Hyperion Tattoo in Buffalo. Both very solid artists. Check them out at hyperiontattoo.com. Tom Sherman is great too. He’s done work on Steven and Joel if that says anything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.