mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

So, yesterday I started a half sleeve. He did the outline and most of it looks great. I have the state flowers for the two states my daughters were born in, a yellow rose (I’m fr Texas) and a swallow. Arizona’s state flower is the saguaro cactus blossom. It’s mostly white with some yellow/orange in the middle. Well, so I’m going for more of a traditional look. Once I got home and this morning, I’ve been nonstop staring at the cactus blossoms. I realize it’s the outline, and maybe you really can’t tell by the outline how it’s going to look. I talked to him this morning and asked though if we could turn them into red roses and add in the state butterfly. Well, he pretty much shut me down, said it’s permanant and that he told me that it wouldn’t be easy to make it into a traditional look (he did) and then that he told me I should wait (he didn’t). He said it would be a little more art noveau. Ok fine, I understand that and think he’ll do the best he can, but I don’t see why he can’t change just an outline to look like roses instead. I’ll include pictures to show. I don’t want anyone to feel like they are stepping on toes, but is it really that big of a problem to change part of a tattoo once you’ve started it? If I can change it, he is not willing to do it, so would it be a horrible idea to tell him to leave that part alone and ask someone else to change them into roses? The rest of the tattoo is awesome, and I’ve never had to do multiple sessions as this is my first sleeve, the others have been smaller. Maybe I should just be patient? Would love advice on this issue. Tattoo artist has been in the business for a long time, and is a friend of a friend.
Thanks

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

The outline is in black ink, which is…not able to be covered.
This means that he cannot simply change the flower type on a whim.
He isn’t being a douche…he is being realistic.

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

Did you see the pic in my album? I’m just thinking it wouldn’t be hard to get a little creative and add to the outline. I’m aware that the outline can’t change.

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

I’d really appreciate an artist or two to take a look at the picture and see if the outline can be added to in order to make them into roses. A little help please?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Hi,

I looked at your photo in your profile. You have a hard outline of a weird shape- I would think making that a rose would be really difficult.

More to the point, if you don’t like where your tat is going maybe it’s time to consider a different artist. If you feel like it’s not going the way you want it and you feel like the artist isn’t listening to you then I’m not sure why you would continue the relationship. This is your arm and you are going to wear this the rest of your life.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

im going to be blunt here because im drunk and high.

looking at the line work i would say even if this were able to be “changed”, your artist would not be able to do a good job of executing that job anyways. so if i were you, i would just let him do his thing and learn and move on to the next ink. who is the artist anyways?

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

mmmmmmmmm i’d probly get a wee bit shitty with ya if you decided you wanted roses after we’d agreed on something else. Did he do a design up for you of what you were getting?

With the right linework and colour work you may be able to pull it off………maybe

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

I’m a big girl, I can take it if someone wants to get shitty with me if it meant my arm was going to be beautiful but I’m not going to smile and say whatever you say and walk out with a shit tattoo. He said it was not possible. Ok fine, but my mom whipped out a sketch in 5 minutes, and she ain’t no tattoo artist, and an amateur artist as it is. Yeah she fudged the lines a little on the outside, but a real “artist” could turn it into something beautiful. I’ve seen too many wonderful coverups! If I had a final product to look at I would have never posted the original question. He says “it will look cool” and “I’ll make it look like the picture.” Now I’m staring at it, absolutely NOT able to picture a beautiful end result.

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar

Personal opinion… I’m not a fan of what he’s done there and would be a bit nervous going back (but then I appreciate that it can look worrying til it’s done and then look amazing)
If you aren’t happy with his attitude then get out. There’s no point being upset with the result.

Seek a second opinion, it may not be do-able, but you’d be happier with someone willing to discuss it with you.

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

well I dont know your artist, but i wouldnt be happy if it were my arm. When I design sleeves I draw up the full version, so we make sure its exactly what they want. Im doing a sleeve at the moment and every sitting she has we discuss what we’re doing next, that way we’re both happy with the end results.
I think yours could be salvaged, but I dont know if he’s the one to do it?

strick9
Participant
@strick9

I gotta go with Izarria,it’s fixable,but I wouldn’t let him do it.I’m not a big trad. fan but with some creative shading,it’s doable:rolleyes:

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

thats pretty much all im saying. if u are really unhappy, i would stop now and take it to a reputable artist in about a month to do a cover-up. a compitent artist can easily cover it up. this artist, not so much.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, what he/she has done so far is crap, so you shouldn’t even be considering going back at all. Find a good artist and get a tattoo you can be proud to wear.

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

So, after reading all the posts, I’m trying to decide whether I want to give this guy a chance to draw on the existing pic I posted here and show me what an end result would look like or not. He has not done that so far, just said “I’ll make it look cool” and “I’ll make it look like the picture.” I’d happily go to another artist, however, I feel as if I’m in a sticky situation being that he’s a friend of a friend. That is, of course, very minor compared to my end result and the fact that it’s for life. Also, is it a major faux pas for me to go to another artist? I don’t want a new artist to turn me down thinking I’m being some sort of diva who won’t be happy with anything. I’m just thinking that this piece is very important to me, the meaning behind it is my family, my children and my husband, my whole life. Also that the inside and back of my arm freakin hurt and I don’t want to spend the pain, energy and money replacing it if it does turn out as horrible as what it seems. Does anyone have experience with this? Possibly changing artists in the middle of a big piece of work? Would the right artist be understanding to me and see my side of it without passing judgment? If he does good work for me, my husband is wanting a half sleeve piece himself when he comes home from Iraq. It would be a fair amount of work I’d be bringing, so if that’s a bonus, then I’m putting that out there as well.
On a side note, I don’t want to put the vibe out that I’m feeling like some sort of victim, just that I’ve never seen what he plans to do with the end result, and thus far, I’m just not excited about it. More to the point, I’m freakin scared it’s gonna look stupid and ridiculous.

By the way, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and post all of this constructive advice. Everyone who posted had something encouraging to say and has been so helpful thus far!

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

I would hardly think an artist is going to turn you down when you explain that you’re not happy with the work to date.

Good luck, hope whatever you decide goes well for you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.