anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I recently got my first tattoo from a relatively unknown but pretty skilled artist who has been tattooing for about 10 years. He’s got a nice portfolio and is good enough to ask $150/hr and get it and has a wait list of about a month. My piece isn’t done healing yet so I don’t quite know what the end result be but looked good when I got it. So anyway ..

On one line he pushed the needle in too deep and I had to let it scab (his advice) so it would start to heal up. Is this a common mistake for a skilled artist? I don’t want to be too harsh on the guy. We all make mistakes.

Secondly, he wasn’t really much for discussion about the piece beforehand. I told him he could change it as he saw fit but he said he was just going to leave it exactly as it was. He didn’t even fake enthusiasm. When I was done – in about 20 minutes I think – he didn’t even ask what I thought. Now the piece was really, really simplistic and far below his skill level based on his portfolio. But it was something I wanted and I thought it would give me a chance to meet him, etc as I already had a few other much larger pieces I want done. Now I find myself a little wary though because these other pieces require the artist’s creativity and input. So should this attitude concern me or you think he’ll be on a different page if I go back with my next piece?

Thanks for any feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

board_riider
Participant
@board_riider

Well, I personally would probably never go back. If this guy left that bad of a taste in your mouth, and you have to even wonder and ask people what they would do, I really wouldn’t bother.
I’m not sure about the scabbed part, as I’ve had a couple spots done on my arm like that which scabbed, but it was in certain areas, like under my arm, loose skin, etc…So, I dunno..someone else will have to help you out with that one.
So, what did you get anyways? And where on your body?
But yeah, I would much prefer my artist to be enthusiastic and willing to make my piece into something unique and adding as they see fit, as opposed to them really not giving a shit, which is what it seems like in this situation…so yeah, I’d probably take my business elsewhere, but that’s just me. And just because he charges $150 bucks an hour, doesn’t make him a great artist by any means…post some pics if you can.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

This is a hard one… How good is the artist? I would put up with a lot of attitude if the artist is amazing- to me, I only have to deal with an artist or a few hours and the tat will be on me for the rest of my life. He probably felt that it was below him or whatever, but if his work is worth it I would not push him out for the rest.

I have a very skilled artist and I got some scabbing on my last session. It’s not good but it’s not the end of the world either. It’s probably a little over worked. Let it heal and touch up if you have to.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies.

Well he wasn’t nasty or anything – just as you said board_rider – he didn’t really seem to give a s*it. I hear what you’re saying and I thought it as I typed my initial post – if I have to ask opinions … I guess I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t me being hard on him, especially since it was my first tat.

I got a design on my ankle that I put together myself. I’ll PM you a link (hope that’s ok). I know how word spreads on the net and I’m not looking to damage this guy’s rep or have people think he’s a scratcher.

He’s not at the level of Bob Tyrrell or anything, but I personally think he’s as good as say Chris Adamek.

Here’s the area where the needle went in too deep. It looks much better now but I am not certain yet how the ink is going to turn out in that spot.

593ouch.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

He’s an ass… find a new artist who actually wants to do the work ๐Ÿ™‚

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
ArniVidar;76036 wrote:
If you were a master painter and someone asked you to draw up something crappy by another painter, would you give a shit or be enthusiastic?

Not saying he’s a master painter, but you came in with a simple idea you insisted could not be changed. That, to an artist, is boring. It may be quick and easy money, but boring. Don’t expect him to be jumping for joy over something so menial ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you misread my post bud.

D3FiANC3;76019 wrote:
I told him he could change it as he saw fit but he said he was just going to leave it exactly as it was.
ArniVidar
@arnividar

Ah, sorry, you’re right… I managed to read that completely the other way ’round.

Then I change my reply to “He’s an ass… find a new artist who actually wants to do the work” ๐Ÿ™‚

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Most tattoos that have been overworked a little will heal up just fine as long as you don’t pick at the scabs.
It does happen from time to time and I would only be very concerned if it was the whole tattoo that was heavily scabbed and overworked.

As for attitude – well it is your call – many artists see simple pieces akin to flash work and feel they dion’t have to drum up much enthusiasm and just get the job done riight as it is bill money.

Have you discussed a more challenging piece with him? His attitude might be different again and you might find him a lot more ‘lets go for it’.

If you don’t find him too enthused get to another credible artist that has the skill and the enthusiasm. I have met hundreds of artists in my research and has been a real mixed bag from don’t want to talk to you , don’t give a shit, through to the let me work your skin canvas like the sistine chapel enthusiasm.

Have to remember ppl are prone to moods and remember if you ain’t comfortable don’t get it done.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.