Jesse Bird
Participant
@jesse-bird

Hey dudes,

So I’m thinking of covering a tattoo on my upper arm with a koi dragon (koi turning into a dragon). Now, I have a real big issue with unoriginality and afraid to go down that path. I like what the koi turning into a dragon respresents, especialy since I’m a pisces that always tries to impove himself in life and become a better person.

I actually want it to be western style, realistic, lots of depth, elegant movement and shading. Meaning I want the koi’s head to be a western, calm (not aggresive) and royal dragon.

But that’s not enough, how can I break the mold and take it to a not so cliche direction? I always look down on people with dragons and kois tattoos (expect the impressive, original ones, of course, no offense to anyone) and I’d hate to be a hypocrite to myself. I’d love to hear some creative ideas.

Sincerely yours,

Jesse

P.S – I want it Black and gray, but I’ve always liked a little purple, would you think some purple…. say, flowers or something, would go well with black and gray? And not in a feminine way seeing as I’m a guy.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Ok, I have a few thoughts on this.

1)I think you are trying to do too much here. You need to ask yourself the basic question: Do I want a koi tattoo or not? I think if you want a koi you should find a way to stay closer to the traditional meaning of the tat. You can change things– recently there has been a koi with a skull melting out of the scales that was pretty freaking cool- so it doesn’t have to be boring but adding all these other elements would make it a messy idea.

2)I find, in most cases, that black and grey with a little color makes the tat look unfinished. There are exceptions to the rule but in general thats what I see.

3)I think you should take a step back and think about what you really want. I think if you put more thought into this you could come up with something more personal to YOU other than the koi- and that will take this from an impressive tat to an amazing work of art.

Just my .02

Jesse Bird
Participant
@jesse-bird
Gsouder;73125 wrote:
Ok, I have a few thoughts on this.

1)I think you are trying to do too much here. You need to ask yourself the basic question: Do I want a koi tattoo or not? I think if you want a koi you should find a way to stay closer to the traditional meaning of the tat. You can change things– recently there has been a koi with a skull melting out of the scales that was pretty freaking cool- so it doesn’t have to be boring but adding all these other elements would make it a messy idea.

2)I find, in most cases, that black and grey with a little color makes the tat look unfinished. There are exceptions to the rule but in general thats what I see.

3)I think you should take a step back and think about what you really want. I think if you put more thought into this you could come up with something more personal to YOU other than the koi- and that will take this from an impressive tat to an amazing work of art.

Just my .02

Tell you the truth I think that’s a good response and I’ll definitely give it some more thought. 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Personally I don’t like the concept of mixing east with west. The western dragons have absolutely nothing to do with the eastern mythology of the Koi Dragon. For one image, choose east or west IMO. Leave the blending be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.