Bryn
@

I just got my first tattoo about a week ago and it was amazing! I have always wanted tattoos and the experience exceeded all of my expectations. The local shop I went to has a good reputation and AMAZING prices (despite being quite experienced). The tattoo was just a small one on my left wrist that says, “Vivre sans appel.” My friends say I should take my time and enjoy the one I have before getting another but I am still considering getting another one (This time some script on my upper back that says, “Man must search for what is right and let happiness come on its own.”… I am a bit of a literary nut so that explains all the script… I eventually want a significant color piece on my back that I will get done elsewhere but that will be in the future when I can invest a nice chunk of change in a real piece of art). There are two main reasons why I am even considering getting this now. I will be moving to an area where the prices for this quality of work would be significantly higher (like double the quoted price). Also it is a fairly positive message… not something that I have ever really be drawn to before. I have suffered from depression my entire life and just now am feeling happier. However, you never know when that is going to change. I think of tattoos as reminders of how we should be living our lives. If I relapse into depression at some point maybe this will be a reminder of what life is as an ideal. Is it silly to want to get another one just over a week after my first? Should I just enjoy the one I have for now and risk losing this feeling about life? I also am pretty low on cash for the time being and getting it done where I am now is a steal but who knows when I will be back in the area… HELP!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Clearly, you are a literary nut as this is the longest post I think I have ever seen. I pulled a couple of questions/thoughts out of your post, I will address them in order:

1)No, you are not crazy. The process of getting a tattoo is almost as important as the tattoo itself and therefore it makes sense that as one ends you start looking for the next. Think about it, you spend all this time planning, making sure it’s what you want, you then sit there, have the work done then wait for it to heal… It’s an evolution, a rebirth of kinds.

2)You mentioned getting a large color piece. You can probably make this work with the words across the top but you have to be careful that the artist you pick can blend them together. That’s going to be a trick and you need to selective. Personally, I think that’s way too many words for your back but I’m not a fan of word tattoos so I’m not the right person to ask.

3) Sorry about your depression. I suffer from depression and severe anxiety. It was horrible a few years ago but through a lot of hard work I feel much better now. Part of my large tat is a “reward” for getting through that. I hope that you are out of the woods and can manage to hold on to the light. One thing to think about- You will almost never see the tattoo on your back. Maybe just knowing it’s there will be enough but if you want to be reminded of it often I would consider getting it elsewhere. I have a tat on my back that I forget about often.

Anyway, Just my .02. Welcome to the forum.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Clearly, you are a literary nut as this is the longest post I think I have ever seen. I pulled a couple of questions/thoughts out of your post, I will address them in order:

1)No, you are not crazy. The process of getting a tattoo is almost as important as the tattoo itself and therefore it makes sense that as one ends you start looking for the next. Think about it, you spend all this time planning, making sure it’s what you want, you then sit there, have the work done then wait for it to heal… It’s an evolution, a rebirth of kinds.

2)You mentioned getting a large color piece. You can probably make this work with the words across the top but you have to be careful that the artist you pick can blend them together. That’s going to be a trick and you need to selective. Personally, I think that’s way too many words for your back but I’m not a fan of word tattoos so I’m not the right person to ask.

3) Sorry about your depression. I suffer from depression and severe anxiety. It was horrible a few years ago but through a lot of hard work I feel much better now. Part of my large tat is a “reward” for getting through that. I hope that you are out of the woods and can manage to hold on to the light. One thing to think about- You will almost never see the tattoo on your back. Maybe just knowing it’s there will be enough but if you want to be reminded of it often I would consider getting it elsewhere. I have a tat on my back that I forget about often.

Anyway, Just my .02. Welcome to the forum.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.