wickedest
Participant
@wickedest

Hi all I am new here & I could only find 1 post here about this I am very interested by this idea

I had a friend pass away in a car crash back in 2007 & I just found out last year!! well out of the blue yesterday her mom called me & told me all the details & sent pictures and everything to me online

I have had the idea since i heard the news but her mom told me she was cremated & I want to seal the deal and tattoo the ashes

Ok so cremation ashes can be used in the tattoo ink right?? I’ve seen online & other places that it can be done with no problem!!! The only problem i can see is that of the artist wanting to do the tattoo or not after you ask him & as I see it if you sign any wavers before the tattoo the artist should respect your wishes & add the ashes I mean why tattoo if you cant give your clients what they want as long as there isnt any state or local law that prohibits it right???

what risk would there be in adding ashes to the ink?? infection, rejection, & scarring, is that it???
with proper treatment of the ink & ashes before hand & well kept aftercare of the tattoo you shouldnt have these problems I would also say it would be based on ashes to ink ratio I would only want a very small amount maybe 10mg per ounce of black ink or 5mg to half ounce of ink & 3mg to 5mg in colored ink ounce or half ounce depends on how the ashes blend into the ink

these are the same risk you get from different ink blends, colors & brands the inks are blended different with different recipes & some people have different reactions & allergic reactions to almost any kind of ink

So could you say the risk of using ashes in a tattoo are that of the inks recipe & how your skin takes to that blend or brand of ink & not that of the ashes in the ink?

I would believe it depends on how well your artist tattoos & how big the tattoo is for some of these risk I already have tattoos & I’ve done 2 of my own tattoos

I wouldnt do this tattoo on myself but I would do it & and the thinking it over part is making me want it even more I was told I could use the ashes for the tattoo & I believe its what she would have wanted done with her ashes but to everyone she loved

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

hi , sorry for your loss !

It is possible . depending on where you are from and if you can find an artist thats willing to do it.
most here hated the thought of it but i could understand why someone would want it done and would prob think about doing so myself if i lost someone special to me.

did you read the thread here ? we did actually go into it with quite a bit of detail ( health wise )

Matthew is the best person to advise you about this topic !

good luck !

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

can be and has been done. hell, in prison they used to use urine and sole of the boot shavings so anything is possible!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Yes as stated it has been done and is a relatively simple task as long as the ashes have been produced through a furnace and cremulator. No disrespect meant here but I will run through a few things to consider.

The reason for this is that the ashes will contain bone fragments that contain human dna and so would need to be ground down to microscopic level so that the body it is being inserted into has less chance of foreign body/matter rejection.

The furnace is important as those levels of heat will be required to kill off any BBP’s or other diseases that maybe present in human remains.

The ashes are not 100 sterile – cross contamination with other substances/fluids/body fluids are possible. The sample needs to be crushed and baked and hermetically sealed (air tight) afterwards.

If they are ashes from a long time ago treat them as they have cross contamination unless sealed air-tight.

Do not breathe in the ashes – this can really mess up your lungs.

The ashes would have to be placed in a sterile carrier solution – the issues you face here are that you are putting a foreign material into your body and the fact it contains human dna can result in pigment rejection by the immune system.

The more ashes you add the more chance or bone black rejection you face. Whilst quite rare it can happen.

The bone fragments can also be an issue if they get trapped in the skin or bloodstream – hence the need for a cremulator – if it is like powdered ash should not pose a problem.

The legality of this depends on the state and country you are in. Some places consider it an immoral use of a corpse/and or human remains.

You only need a symbolic fraction amount adding to tattoo pigment- do not try and make the full pigment from the ashes – this will result in a sucky ink that will simply fade out. It is also disrespectful to your friend to have a crappy tattoo that was made out of them – if you do it – do it right.

Wear gloves, mask, and goggles if messing with human ashes in an open wound – yes a lot of TV have shown them not bothering but then again they are tattoo artists not pathologists or undertakers.

You do not want to be digging your dead friend from under your nails or rinsing them out of your eyes – it is disrespectful.

Take care
Matthew

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

^^^ that is exactly what i said except i was more detailed and articulate. 🙁

wickedest
Participant
@wickedest
Sherav;70069 wrote:
Hi

Yes as stated it has been done and is a relatively simple task as long as the ashes have been produced through a furnace and cremulator. No disrespect meant here but I will run through a few things to consider.

The reason for this is that the ashes will contain bone fragments that contain human dna and so would need to be ground down to microscopic level so that the body it is being inserted into has less chance of foreign body/matter rejection.

The furnace is important as those levels of heat will be required to kill off any BBP’s or other diseases that maybe present in human remains.

The ashes are not 100 sterile – cross contamination with other substances/fluids/body fluids are possible. The sample needs to be crushed and baked and hermetically sealed (air tight) afterwards.

If they are ashes from a long time ago treat them as they have cross contamination unless sealed air-tight.

Do not breathe in the ashes – this can really mess up your lungs.

The ashes would have to be placed in a sterile carrier solution – the issues you face here are that you are putting a foreign material into your body and the fact it contains human dna can result in pigment rejection by the immune system.

The more ashes you add the more chance or bone black rejection you face. Whilst quite rare it can happen.

The bone fragments can also be an issue if they get trapped in the skin or bloodstream – hence the need for a cremulator – if it is like powdered ash should not pose a problem.

The legality of this depends on the state and country you are in. Some places consider it an immoral use of a corpse/and or human remains.

You only need a symbolic fraction amount adding to tattoo pigment- do not try and make the full pigment from the ashes – this will result in a sucky ink that will simply fade out. It is also disrespectful to your friend to have a crappy tattoo that was made out of them – if you do it – do it right.

Wear gloves, mask, and goggles if messing with human ashes in an open wound – yes a lot of TV have shown them not bothering but then again they are tattoo artists not pathologists or undertakers.

You do not want to be digging your dead friend from under your nails or rinsing them out of your eyes – it is disrespectful.

Take care
Matthew

Yeah that is what I said & used an example amount of 10mgs ash per ounce of ink & why would I only try to use the ashes as ink only? I could tell you now it wouldnt work & would be crappy faded

also

I said as long as there are no state or local laws that prohibit it you should be able to do it

Wearing gloves, mask, and/or goggles should be done when tattooing as well sorry if I didnt get into detail about the ashes but i did say if the ashes were properly treated then the risk for infection, rejection & scarring should be less sifting the ashes & then grinding them down would be a part of then processing them down for use

I can see to a point how this could be disrespectful for some of you to hear but we all live in different life styles & beliefs & what maybe taboo to some may not be to others some people believe tattoos are all together wrong & should only be on criminals, whores or outlaws while some one may say a tattoo is ok but a piercing isnt or vice versa… Some tribes bring home there dead love ones remains try feeding them & laying them in there old beds for years before the ever lay them to rest or they even keep them in there houses in there beds & never leave them & bring them along if they move just hearing someone was cremated is taboo to some people

I am only doing what the person would of wanted with permission & suggestion from the family she would have done it for me & its like breaking the promise to a dead loved one not to do it

I can also think of about 200 or 300 things people have done with a love ones ashes why would tattooing the ashes of someone be any different??

I have looked around on the site I mean I have found a little info here and there & I seen it can be done has been done but there is still not much info on it if someone could link me to the topic here about it & what was covered already so I can look & read over it would be greatly appreciated I am sorry if I came off rude in any way but you pretty much answered my questions with more detailed info I already knew when I asked

I am in the USA Orlando Fl & if a dude can blow his ashes up over downtown Orlando in fireworks I can tattoo it under my skin

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

Sherav wrote a blog which I’ve read and I’m sure he’d let you see – he is one of the best informed people on here. He wasn’t saying it was immoral either btw, just that be careful around other people who might not react in a positive way (for example, the tattooist, who wouldnt be bound to make up an ink specially for you anyway), much like with tattoos in general.

Forgive me, I don’t want to be disrespecful and I’m really not trying to be rude…but how close were you. I’m sure I’m just misreading your post but it seems that two years passed before you even found out your friend had died? Are you sure you want their ashes in your skin?

PLEASE don’t take that the wrong way if I’ve read it wrong or misunderstood…just trying to throw some thoughts about to help you know you def want it etc

Poesy

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Just to clarify the point I am referring to the legal law reference as to the term ‘immoral’ – that is a legal reference they use not a personal stance I was taking.

As reference for example if you scatter ashes in the UK you need a license from the crematorium that it has been according to the regs. Some in the UK cities even go as far as designating only certain areas for the spreading of ashes. Hence the above reference. (These are just examples)

If your state has no issues about then all power to you – get it done.

As for more detail – what exactly do you need to know? There is not really much else we can say as the main areas are covered;

Legal stance = You state it is legal and/or no pursuit or criminal intention to the act in your city.

Physical status – The ashes have already been ground down correctly or can be ground down.

Rejection/Contamination – BBP’s will have been killed off – it has been covered that the ashes may have cross -contamination from an outside source. Basically means that every time you touch or mess with them from outside a sterile container you should bake them at really high temperature if you wanted to be ultra safe.

Bone carbon as you mentioned makes poor ink by itself so just get a pro-artist to add it to a normal pigment.

The key part is keeping the information simple – if you want reams of info on celluar breakdown and carbonisation procedures etc then sure I can provide all that – but to what ends – as you are looking for a can it>risk of it>end quality formula.

As we are not not a forum that discusses tattoo technique or how to make tattoo pigments we cannot really go in depth on how to make tattoo pigment – I would suggest Outlaw’s tattoo forum or other sites if you wish to make your own.

That said there are plenty of artists in your state who will do it – prob many who won’t for their own personal reasons – just broach it with an artist who you like their work.

Personally I have no interest if you do it or do not do it so no moral defence or justification is required – my own opinions or what is right or wrong has no bearing on the content of the post.

Post up if you get it done I would be interested in seeing the in memory tattoo design.

Take care
Matthew

mdriven1955
@

I live in Bakersfield California and am looking for someone to do a tattoo for me with the cremation ashes of my dog……do you know any artists somewhat close by??? Please anything will help, right now I am at a total loss.

Thanks in advance!

crystalizada
Participant
@crystalizada

hi,
I just registered to this because I was searching for memorial tattoos and this came up, I am getting a memorial tattoo and want to know how to mix the ashes to the ink, the sterilization etc. I found an artist that is willing to do it, and looking at this forum saw that the ashes have to be baked in an air tight. Can someone tell me what temperature and how I can do it please?
Im thankful for the information

Amok
Participant
@amok

this idea is just totally messed up. whatever happened to respecting the dead? did you get their consent before they died? even if you did, it’s still fucking creepy.

just get a memorial tattoo with normal ink and leave it at that.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
crystalizada;103465 wrote:
Can someone tell me what temperature and how I can do it please?
Im thankful for the information

If you found an artist willing to do it, then he or she will be able to take care of that for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.