theDONI14
Participant
@thedoni14

Hey all, I’ve been considering getting a tattoo since I turned 21 back in September and even have the encouragement of my girlfriend and mum to get off my bum and go get one. (they are paying for it too, which is sweet)

The problem is, is that I obviously don’t want to get one unless it means something to me, since it will be with me forever. So since my birthday I’ve been struggling to come up with something to put on my body.

So this is where you folks come in, I’m looking for any advice or tips on what I should get, so if you have any ideas please do not hesitate to post them here. Anyway, on to my conditions:

* I want a kind of writing to be my first tattoo, perhaps some kind of script or writing in another language. (arabic? latin? not sure)

* This is the main one, I want it to say something inspirational and motivational. I’ve always had a problem with getting motivated, with things such as school or work and am looking for my tattoo to kinda say something like ‘get out of bed and go do something you lazy ass’. An example of this could be ‘Carpe Diem’ which is latin for seize the day. Something along the lines of that, that not only sounds cool but will actually help me out in life.

* As for position, this obviously depends on how long the writing will be (speaking of length, I don’t want more then two sentences, the smaller the better) but what I’ve come up with so far is either down my bicep or triceps or possibly around the lower stomach area.

* Nothing religious, I am not a religious person and want nothing that revolves around it on my body in any way, shape or form.

Other then those points, I don’t think I have much left to say. Besides the fact that I will be consistently checking back on this post to see what you dudes have recommended for me. Looking forward to it!

Thank you all very much in advance!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

First of all you have to think what it is that sums you up and is the qoute something that you can bear seeing everyday and living upto?

There will be some days where the tattoos we wear can also be a burden if we are not living upto what the ink represents – on the plus side they are a constant reminder to ourselves of the decisions we make in life.

The other factors are that tattooing is very addictive and you may not want to stop at just one. I would advise avoiding the back as you may want to expand.

The biceps are good but you have to ask whether you want to sleeve in the future. I would suggest possible the chest or over the heart area.

The other key bit and I stress is get the translation done correctly! I have seen loads that have mispellings or make no sense (check out Tattooed Jews many of them have the magila in hebrew tattooed incorrectly).

As an example consider

Actions not just words which in Latin is Factum non iustus lacuna

Take Care
Matthew

LotusCordova
Participant
@lotuscordova

You have a general idea…and the rest is up to you. So like you said in your post, get motivated and pick it out. Someone cant choose a language and saying FOR you.

You need to study up on it a bit….thats the best advice you are going to get.

theDONI14
Participant
@thedoni14

Awesome, thank you both for your posts, they are definitely appreciated.

First off, as for expanding and getting more tattoos I have already planned my next few. My star sign is Virgo so I plan to get a tattoo of a woman somewhere on my body at some point, obviously haven’t looked into it much. I just like the idea.

I also plan to get a sleeve in a few years time, and that will go on my left bicep/shoulder/chest area.

As for this tattoo now I want to put it going down on my right bicep or tricep and I think that will be fine (I’m greek, and even though I wax my stomach, I have a fairly hairy chest so I don’t want anything there just yet) and won’t have any conflicts in the future.

So the position is decided, I just need to choose something to put there, and in what language. Language I’ll be able to decide my self in the future, and I understand that it isn’t something that can be recommended for me.

As for the saying, I will do some research into it, I’m about to go to work now so I don’t have the time but when I get home I’ll give google a work out. Saying this though, I’d appreciate any advice on HOW to research something like this, where can I go looking for the motivational/ inspirational quote I want? Any links or advice on this would be great.

Also, I know this isn’t something that can be just ‘recommended’ to me, but if any of you have a saying that fits what I’m asking for, please don’t hesitate to post it here. It really can’t hurt and who knows it might actually fit what I’m asking for and I might actually like it.

Thanks again!

strick9
Participant
@strick9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_(full)
Hope this works,and helps:cool:
my first try at adding a link

Yup It works

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Hmm, I’ve got ‘Seize Fate By The Throat’ on my chest, bit more hardcore than ‘get off yer ass’ anyway :p

theDONI14
Participant
@thedoni14

Groovy, thanks for posting. I’m about halfway through that list and haven’t found too much that I like besides ‘Vanity is my favourite sin’ that is easily one of my favourite quotes from Al Pacino but obviously not something I want on me haha.

Also, I don’t want anything too hardcore, I prefer lyrical and poetic I think.

I want to add something else. Are there any quotes out there that somehow embodies determination? I’m extremely competitive and stubborn and always hate to lose. So a quote or saying that involves something like that would be amazing. Of course I will spend a few more hours researching and looking. It’s obviously hard to find something that will be on me forever.

Keep ’em coming!

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

WOW!
You really are unmotivated.
Your girlfriend and Mum are after you to get a tattoo, and they will even pay – if you just do it!
You want someone else to come up with an idea for you, and even tell you what it says?
Inspiration is individual and unique. You just want something cool on you that strangers think is cool?
You have a computer, do a search!

‘Fuck it? Yes! That’s your answer? That’s your answer for everything! Tattoo it on your forehead!”
The Big Lebowski

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I have to agree. The only person that can and even should think of what tattoo you should get… is you! Only you know exactly what you like and what you dont, the only thing we can do is make suggestions on how the idea and become a good tattoo.

Tell your mom and GF to just keep quiet until you can think of an idea that you will really like.

xuhohitssarx
Participant
@xuhohitssarx

If you’re looking to put some kind of wording then I would look into ambigrams.

Otherwise its hard for another person to give advice on what to get since its not their body. I’ve wanted my tattoos since I was 14 years old, its a hard decision to make since you have to endure some form of pain and the fact it will be on you forever.

Good luck.

stewroids
Participant
@stewroids

*cough* Japanese theme 🙂 *cough*

Zeke1515
Participant
@zeke1515

Hey man I know how u feel. I’m trying to get my first tattoo as well, but the whole money and getting it right is dragging out the process.

I’ve pretty much decided on getting “Pura Vida” on my ribs… still just trying to work up the money and figure out details like font.

Anyway for those slamming him for asking what to get… take it easy… i’m sure hes not asking u to pick a tattoo for him. Hes just looking for suggestions and ideas.

You should check out
thinkexist.com
got tons of quotes and proverbs and whatnot… it’s in english but i’m sure u can find a translation. i’m looking at a quote for my second tattoo already haha

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i just replied on your other post regarding this tattoo….
http://www.thetattooforum.com/tattoo-font-t14311.html?p=57942

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.