revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and would apreciate some advice from anyone familliar with Spot Work Tattooing. I work in a tattoo shop outside Edinburgh as an aprentice. We had a customer come in who had some spot work done on his left shoulder which was not to bad at all, he wanted another design on his other shoulder but he told us no one he had asked in the tattoo industry wished to do the tattoo.

The artist i work for has over 28 years experiance in tattooing and is not scared of a challenge, so he done a good bit of spot work on his right shoulder which was excellent black and grey work, the next appointment the customer wanted some coloured spot work done in the dragon, so he got what he asked for and when he looked in the mirror after it was done he was well pleased. Now 3 weeks later the baby blue and magenta that was added he has had an allergic reaction to the 2 colours, now the dot work looks a bit like straight lines, there is even a part on the top of his shoulder that has blown through, this has never happened to the artist i work for, this ruined his day and probably the rest of his week :(,

can anyone give me some advice on this i know he has had a reaction to the 2 colours and it could be fixed with black and grey but what would be the best way to fix this out. oh he used a 9 mag for both grey and black and the colour work as well. There was no problem with the 9 mag it was the same size of spot work he had on his left arm. Any answers or help would be much apreciated, please help
revolution

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

first off …. what do you mean by the term spot work ???

how do you know it was an illergic reaction to the pigments, it might be an aftercare problem …. why did people refuse to do the work previously ??

and to give any advice without seing an image of the piece is impossible 😉

revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi
Cheers for replying to my thread. What i mean by spot work is the tattoo is not straight line the work it’s done like a dot to dot book, when doing a normal tattoo you do your outline first well with this work its all small dots that are realy close to each other with a small gap in between each spot and the finished tattoo would be all spots instead of the solid line work, i hope you understand this.

As for the tattoo being an illergic reaction to the Ink used well it was three weeks since he got the first piece done, when the first piece was done the baby blue and the magenta were fine and the customer was well pleased, then 3 weeks later after what should have been enough time for the tattoo to heal it looks like the ink has joined into straight lines and is all bumpy and has risen up from the skin, the artist used a 9 mag for all the work which at the time was fine, the black and grey spot work is fine just the colours that are messed up a little and the artist thinks he has had a reaction to the inks used but it is a bit funny that he is illergic to the 2 colours.

We asked him if he had used any healing cream we sell the one with hemp oil through it but he said he let it heal on it’s own. As for no other tattoo artist taking the work on i can only think he has been a pain in the arse when getting the first left shoulder done and the artist that done it may have told a lot of other artist’s dont do any spot work on this guy he is a pain in the arse maybe. But now we are left with a client who will probably be going to other shops slagging my artists work, not good for business. The artist i work for is now considering doing the £750 tattoo for nothing so it doesn’t affect business, but i can assure you Needles has had over 28 years experiance and is an amazing tattoo artist. sorry i cant, at the moment get a picture of it but i will try and send it on, i hope this is not all mumbo jumbo to yourself Outlaw, could you possibly give me an ideah of what might have gone wrong. The guy is booked in tomorrow for a two our session and i will let you know the outcome

cheers Outlaw for answering my thread respect man.
Mark

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

it could be where he has something heavy slung over his shoulders for work, this could have placed some stress on that part and the colours have leached accross into each other…

what does the client do for an occupation ??

and yes i do understand now what you mean by spot work….. only normally people call it dot work and they dont use a mag needle either …. each artist to their own….. being honnest i have never even tried that style of work as it dont really appeal to me, i have seen some nice examples of it being done, but unless done properly then it tends to turn out shite

hope it goes well tomorrow, if needles has been tattooing for 28yrs then really what we say cant help… its more than likely the fault of the client ……. try get that photo 😉

revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi again outlaw
Yes for a start dot work i dont where the spot word came from and you are correct in saying about his occupation i dont know if Needles knows what he does for a living but we will find out tomorrow. One other thing is the bloke took his top off in front of a couple of people who were waiting and one person who was getting a tattoo at the time so he wasn’t shy in letting others know something had went wrong, he could and should have asked Needles through the back room and spoke about it there in private. Needles thinks he is illergic to the ink and that could be the case but to me it looks like it is still going through the healing process. I think this will cost us the £750 the guy got quoted for the tattoo because the last thing any artist wants is somebody going round slagging of his work which has always been perfect he has won awards for his body art and i think he is selling himself short on this one but i will let you know how we get on with dot man tomorrow. Many thanks Outlaw
revolution, Mark.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Just butting in here, is the client likely to slag out the shop even after getting the tattoo for free? Just something to think about.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I am not a tattoo artist but a couple of things came to mind with regards to this tattoo.

You state that you used magneta pigment and blue side by side.

I have to ask did the magneta contain Manganese ammonium pyrophosphate rather than say a synthetic pigment such as silicate of sodium and aluminium with or dioxazine/carbazole ?

Magneta/Purple inks are actually quite high rejection when mixed with aluminium oxides (copper salts) which is often used in blue pigments. This said everybody is different but just looking at toxicity levels which are classed as irritants.

The result from this often a bumpy swelling (I had both red and blue close together in my backpiece which resulted in a similar reaction).

This is because the body is treating it as a fairly mid-level toxin and is trying to eject it from the body (as with all pigments just slightly more so) if you press or rub on these bumps they can burst the forming scar tissue beneath causing it to bleed or blow out.

If it is synthetic pigments the irritation factor should not be as severe.

Equally the use of a round liner of that size may have been too heavy on the skin for such delicate work causing the pigment to go too deep.

Not a criticism just a possibility.

Also there could have been an element of infection as already irritated.

Hard to say really without pictures and a full background of how it was done and then looked after.

Worst comes to the worst he can always have a colour fill put in.

Take Care
Matthew

revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi joker1
This was all taken care off on saturday, when the fellow came into the shop the dot work he has had went down a lot and the client has now realised it was nothing to do with the artist it’s just he has had a reaction to the two colours, well possibly just one but with the body rejecting one colour it maybe tried to eject the other colour with the dot work being so close together. He knows it is not our fault and we gave him some cash to go and get some antihistamines to try and take down the tiny bit of swelling that was left, but in no way after the tattoo is finished will he give the shop a bad name he has seen the sterling tattoo work my boss has done throughout his career and knows that it was not his fault, if he does want any more colour in the tattoo we will do a test with all the other colours he want’s to see if he is an allergic reaction to them as well. The work that has been done can be fixed no problem with black and grey and the client is happy with this and has booked in again to get the rest of the tattoo started because it is quite a big job but nothing that my boss can’t handle, so it was a weight of both our minds that it has all been sorted and both sides are happy, thank god, thanks again joker1
revolution

revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi outlaw
Yes everything went good on satuday, the client knows he had a reaction to the ink, maybe just one of the colours but with the 2 of them being so close together the body maybe just wanted to reject all the colours that were put in. So we gave him some cash to get antihistamines and wait a couple of weeks before work can get started again, so we were both pleased that it had worked out and there was no bad feeling and he wants the artist to continue on the dot work, but a tester will be done before we add anymore colour, that’s if he wants more colour put into the design, the artist and myself were glad thing’s worked out ok and thanks for replying to my thread outlaw it is apreciated, again many thanks,
revolution

revolution
Participant
@revolution

Hi sherav
Thanks for all that information it has helped quite a bit, you are totally correct about the bumpy swelling that was clear to see the first time he came in after his first sitting, the second time he came in a couple of days later the bumpy parts had gone down considerably and it is not our fault a client has an allergic reaction to one of the colours, we will now test all the colours he wants in the piece on the side of his leg or wherever he want’s it so we can be clear if there is going to be a reaction again, many thanks for your reply, much apreciated Mathew, cheers
revolution

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Glad to hear that, hope it’s all smooth sailing from here on in

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.