dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

I got my tattoo done on Saturday, its medium to large but very delicate so there are few large scabs, i was told to leave clingfilm on it for 5 days, changing it twice a day and putting a spot of bepanthan on it each time i changed it

Well today i am just sick of the clingflim, its made my skin go a bit funny (i am very sensitive with plastics) and the micropore tape has brought me out in a little bit of an uncomfortable rash…

So i have taken the clingfilm off now, my instinct is telling me that the scab has formed (i can see that) and it needs air to dry and come off.

Do you think i should suck it up and just carry on using the clingfilm like my artist said?

its only 1 day early and i am a very quick healer… if that helps!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

ditch the wrap and ointment and try and dry it to the bone today, then light ointment, VERY light

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Agreed – ditch the clingwrap. You should only keep the wrap on for a couple hours, rather than days. If the bumps are small red dots, then it’s probably just hives, in which case some Benadryl will help.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Like said above but…

He said cling film for 5 days!?!?!?!?! Where i go they say just wear the cling film to you get home. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

she was a lady ๐Ÿ˜‰

but yeah she said leave the clingfilm on for 5 days ‘to be sure’

but i just dont think its necessary, it feels like a soggy scab now and surely they need to be getting dry!

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

plus, i started to really dread the smell of it, old bepanthan and sweat ewwww

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
dragonfly;101114 wrote:
plus, i started to really dread the smell of it, old bepanthan and sweat ewwww

Yeah i hate that as well never a pleasant time whilst healing.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
dragonfly;101113 wrote:
she was a lady ๐Ÿ˜‰

but yeah she said leave the clingfilm on for 5 days ‘to be sure’

but i just dont think its necessary, it feels like a soggy scab now and surely they need to be getting dry!

Keeping it covered like that promotes the growth of bacteria and greatly increases the chances of infection. Also, if the scab get soggy, you could definitely run into problems with loss of ink.

Peachtwist
Participant
@peachtwist

Eep! 5 days?! I have to admit I’m new to the world of tattoos and the healing process but that’s just awful. I was told to leave it on for a couple of hours and not re-bandage it. I can’t imagine the smell. I managed to go 2 days without a shower (I still washed the area though) and then couldn’t handle it anymore. But I was doing the limbo to make sure I didn’t get shampoo or conditioner on the tattoo… lol

Adler
Participant
@adler

All of these comments are true but there is a dry heal method which includes keeping it wrapped for 3 days or so, but I think it’s supposed to be dry when it’s rewrapped. With my last tattoo, I tried the dry wrap for a day and it obviously became wet and sweaty and I just didn’t think that was a good thing so I abandoned that method. Some people swear by the dry wrap method of healing, it may work great but I wasn’t comfortable with a sweaty mess under the wrap. I think 5 dys is too long regardless.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

I do nothing for 48 hours….. I was told to use ointment on the first sitting for the first 2 days but my skin didn’t like it at all. I got goosebumpy and itchy within the tattoo. Washed that off, waited until day 3 and started with sensitive skin fragrance & lanolin free lotion. Healed without a problem. The past 2 sittings, take the bandage off after an hour, wash a few times a day (gently) and put NOTHING on it at all until it’s dry and feeling tight and itchy. My artist says it’s working phenomenally well for me. I’m using lotion anytime I feel dry…… BUT just enough to be immediately absorbed by the skin within a minute or so.

I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin… so I’m thrilled that I found something that heals relatively fast with little to no ink loss for me.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
jenerationx;101151 wrote:
i do nothing for 48 hours….. I was told to use ointment on the first sitting for the first 2 days but my skin didn’t like it at all. I got goosebumpy and itchy within the tattoo. Washed that off, waited until day 3 and started with sensitive skin fragrance & lanolin free lotion. Healed without a problem. The past 2 sittings, take the bandage off after an hour, wash a few times a day (gently) and put nothing on it at all until it’s dry and feeling tight and itchy. My artist says it’s working phenomenally well for me. I’m using lotion anytime i feel dry…… But just enough to be immediately absorbed by the skin within a minute or so.

I have extremely sensitive skin… So i’m thrilled that i found something that heals relatively fast with little to no ink loss for me.

beepppppaaannntheeennnnnnn!!!!!

What the fuck won’t let me do capitals?!

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

well drying it out yesterday worked wonders, it was definitely soggy The ink is all there but i worry that its not as bright as it was when she did it..

I think its the light in my house and i am just being paranoid…

Really pleased the clingfilm has come off, all the scabs have formed properly and its stopped feeling uncomfortable like its not healing (plus the skin around it is lots happier)

i used bepanthan for the first 3 days, just using a really gentle, natural baby moisturizer now, i stole it from my son ๐Ÿ˜‰

thanks for the advice, its certainly feeling a lot better ๐Ÿ™‚

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
dragonfly;101179 wrote:
The ink is all there but i worry that its not as bright as it was when she did it..

I think its the light in my house and i am just being paranoid…

Well no matter what you do, the colors will never be as bright as those first couple days.

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

ah okay, that makes sense and does make me feel better. This is my first colour tattoo so sorry for the novice remarks/questions!

I am looking at it now and there is a bit that has not faired well, it is just between my boobs and its clear that the scab has gone soggy and half peeled off, leaving no ink beneath it. I havent picked it or anything… I think its just the placement of it and the fact that the clingfilm was on for a bit too long.

Will a tattoo shop touch it up for me? There is a really good one round here

Oh such a shame ๐Ÿ™ Right on the breastbone too, hurt like buggery to do there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.