SLAPSH0T
Participant
@slapsh0t

Hello all. So about two hours ago I finished my 2nd appointment for a half sleeve on my left arm. The first appointment was for the outline. After the first appt, the artist cleaned my tattoo really well, applied ointment, wrapped susan wrap around my arm and told me to take off the wrap after two hours, wash, and apply ointment for the next 3 days. I followed the instructions exactly and the tattoo was healed in about 10 days and looks great. So at today’s appointment my artist started the shading. After three hours on the table he was done and he applied some sort of really thin, clear, tape directly over the shading he had just done. It appears to be some sort of medicated tape (or at least it smells like it has some sort of medicine or ointment in it). He told me to leave this tape on for 3 days. I stopped him and asked “3 days”? He said yes, 3 days. Then gently peel off the tape on the 3rd day while in the shower, let dry for 30 minutes, then apply ointment just like I did last time. This is my 4th and largest tattoo, and I’ve never left anything over a new tattoo for more than a couple of hours. Has anyone else had any experience with this tape? Based on my personal experience, I don’t want to leave this tape on for more than a couple of hours, but I’d also hate to second guess the artist, he’s the professional after all. I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance. It should also be noted that I live in Japan, and this is the first tattoo I’ve gotten in Japan. My 3rd appointment to continue the shading is next week. Thanks!

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Were you given a care sheet?
3 days seems too long. The previous method you did is standard. Someone else had a similar question. They located the covering. It’s designed for tattoos and they recommend frequent changes. At the very least call the shop and find our what the name of the ‘tape’ is. Then you can check it out on line. I would also check with the studio that they meant the tape to be on for 3 days. You may also decide that if the last method works stick with it. The more experienced ones here will do whatever works for them.

SLAPSH0T
Participant
@slapsh0t

He did give me an aftercare instruction sheet and it corresponded with what he told me. I can’t say for sure, but what I have on my arm looks exactly like this stuff:
http://www.tatuyou.com/index.html

I confirmed that they meant 3 days before I left the shop. I thought 3 days seemed too long as well, but like I said, they are the professionals, and I hate going against their instructions. I just want to do what’s best for the tattoo and of course my body. Maybe I’ll give it a full 24 hours and then peel off the tape. :confused:

bluey
Participant
@bluey

http://www.tatuyou.com/application.html
Length of use
Initial …. 12 – 24hrs

I think if that is what the product website recommends I would follow those instructions.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

One artist used that shit on me it was the worst healing tattoo I had ever had. I don’t know if it was that or something else though. But I will never use it again.

SLAPSH0T
Participant
@slapsh0t

Well the tape is off now. I left it on for 24 hours then it had to go. It was a pain to take off (literally) and I feel better now that it’s gone. Although the tattoo looks great and doesn’t seem to look better or worse than having a bandage on for two hours then remove, clean, and apply A&D method; I’m going to ask my artist not to put the tape on again when I go back next week. I’m still not sure why artists use this stuff. It seems to me that it delays the start of the healing process by keeping all that plasma and blood trapped under the tape. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain the logic behind this “Tatu Derm”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.