jwood84
Participant
@jwood84

Hello Everyone,

So, right now, I’m living in Southern China. As a symbol of this amazing experience over here I decided to get a tattoo. I did a lot of research and found an awesome artist. He’s been tattooing for 10+ years, he has a brand new shop. The place was super nice, super clean, they used one use needles. The guy had a lot of work posted on his website and on his walls. I’m originally from San Diego and the place was cleaner and more presentable than most of the places I’ve walked into at home. The reviews on this guy were stellar. Believe me, if I had felt weird about any of it I would have walked right out…no question about it.

Anyway, the piece came out awesome! The healing seems to be going very well. Just a little scabbing but I’m leaving it alone and letting it do it’s thing. It’s a big piece so I imagine I’ll have to go get it touched up eventually anyway. Here’s the problem. Because of my surroundings (living out in the boonies here) I was a little worried about infection so on top of using the ointment that my artist gave me I also used an oral antibiotic just in case. The morning after my last session, my neck broke out in hives and I had a little rash on my lower back. The tattoo site (1/4 sleeve on the upper left arm) was clean and looking good, no hives there. They’ve been with me for about a week and a half now. I am taking antihistamine and putting cortizone cream on it and they seem to be getting a little better. There is a decent bit of red ink in the tattoo and I figure that that might be the cause. Has anyone else had a problem with hives showing up after tattoo? If so, what did you do for them? Is this going to be a life-long thing or will it be short lived? This is not my first tattoo, but it is my first tattoo with color.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

might be aids

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

If you can take a pic, please do. It could be an allergic reaction from the ink or it could be from the stuff you’re putting on it. If they are indeed hives, they won’t damage the tattoo (as long as you don’t scratch them of course). I’ve broken out in hives from Aquaphor before and Benadryl helped them recede a bit. Since you’re already taking an antihistamine, not much else you can do if they are hives and really nothing else you need to do. If it’s the ink causing a reaction, it could clear up or you could have recurrences for the rest of your life. No way to tell.

jwood84
Participant
@jwood84

Dude, was looking for a little advice, not some lame remark. Grow up.

jwood84
Participant
@jwood84

Appreciate the help. That’s what I thought. I dunno, we will just have to see if they go away.

J

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
jwood84;89269 wrote:
Dude, was looking for a little advice, not some lame remark. Grow up.

don’t cry its called a joke.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Most likely is whatever you are using for aftercare. Stop using it and if goes away thats what it is if not it could be the red ink. Or could be the super aids 😉

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I had a similar issue as been said first thing you do is cut back on any creams or ointments you are using for the tattoo.

Stick with water and non-scented soap and will keep the pores clean.

The antihistamines will help but remember prolonged use may lower your immune system and they become worthless after a few weeks as body ignores the build up.

Cortisone cream has to be kept away from the ink but will help the hives.

Allergies, stress etc all contribute they will usually clear in a short while just try and relax they are a nuisance but rarely go on for a long time.

Take care
Matthew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.