stefan-t22
Participant
@stefan-t22

hello everyone,

i’m new to the forum so I’d like to mention that some terms are unfamiliar to me. don’t get annoyed if I pm you with a question 😀

i want to get a tattoo on my back (upper, right side). i understand, more or less, the various techniques of taking care after being tattoed. the preparation before and the process itself.

however i am really concerned about some particular aspects and that is why i am writing here. maybe some of you have “bumped” into them from you own experience and could recommend me what to do or to chill out if i’m exagerating.

the plot:

i’m an active person. i go to university a couple of hours a day (4-8). afterwards i cycle (my main transportation method) back home to rest. in some days of the week i have a hobby club i attent to for a couple of hours.

to get to the main point, after of this i go to work. i’m in the cleaning business (student job). where i run around clean offices, a small family restaurant and a slaughterhouse (more of a processing unit not like hanging cows or anything). all of this happens in the same place, a supermarket.

the last part involves water. hot. hot water + cold tiles = steam.i must wear a “rainproof” suit that will keep me dry while working. the suit is water resistant but some of it still gets inside through the sleeves. but not too much. just to get my forearms and lower part of my legs a bit wet.

i’m concerned that if i get a tattoo on my back and working in such a warm enviroment, the excessive sweat will affect the tattoo. but i do need to shower every day, otherwise it can get infected. i have to pick up small things to wash with a high pressure hose. that involves a bit of scrubbing too because of the movement. which cannot be avoided.

what do you guys think? i want a tattoo but i need the job and my lifestyle can’t be easily changed.
oh, i also forgot that i workout at the gym every now and then during the week. how did that work for you? should i stop for a while? i kinda need it :confused: but i also want a tattoo…

i will gladly accept any comment, suggestion, idea or reference as long as it sticks to the subject and does not create a debate out of it. thank you.

ps what about carrying a laptop backpack? should it be avoided?

regards,
stefan 😉

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235

I want to get a complete thigh sleeve but I might hold off until October because of the warmer weather starting to come here in jersey(pools are starting to open and sooner or later the beach), My soccer season is alsp starting up again so I will be out sweating and all, so to avoid any problems I’m just going to hold off.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

My day job while apprenticing is remodeling homes for a guy that in turn flips them for profit. It’s a pretty messy sweaty physical job but I’ve been able to heal my tattoos just fine. Just try to keep them as free from dirt as you can. Wash it lightly with warm water if it does get dirty. Be sure to pat it dry with a clean paper towel and moisturize or A&D. After the first week and a half you should be just fine. I also take a Muay Thai kickboxing class and I just avoid striking with whatever limb has recently been tattooed. Just be conscious of your new tattoo in physical activities. You don’t necessarily have to stop everything you do when you are freshly tattooed.

stefan-t22
Participant
@stefan-t22

hey david

thanks for the prompt reply. i understand what you mean. no, my job does not involve getting the tattoo dirty, as it will be on my back. a place which never gets into contact with water. i was thinking of “dirty” as in sweat, dust, toxines realeased by thebody or other impurities we collect during the day on our skin.

what is A&D? as i said, i’m new to this ^^

in the gym i will be training only my arms and chest with bars. oh yeah, and cardio exercises. i was thinking of using a row machine but then i realized that the skin of the back streches during effort. so none of those for a while.

how will the tattoo look like when it is fully healed? i know the crust will go away….but does anyone have any pictures with stages of the healing process? that would be fun. to know what to expect :rolleyes:

PS. does anyone know what caring products can be bought in Europe? To be more precise I live in Denmark; and after googling a bit I found a great deal of products which from some people’s perspective work and other do not or even considered dangerous. any decent shop with positive customer feedback will do 🙂

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’d be careful with your active lifestyle. Sweat, dirt, friction and stretching aren’t exactly ideal for proper healing of a tattoo. For me, I don’t have a physically active job (usually) but I do work out. I still try to take a couple of days off from work if I can and don’t workout for a couple of weeks with a fresh tattoo. If I’m spending good money to get a permanent tattoo I’m going to do what I can to ensure proper and safe healing.
And A&D is an ointment designed for baby rash but can be good for healing tattoos. Aquaphor is also a good healing oinment if you can get it there.

TheJuanAndOnly235
Participant
@thejuanandonly235

Im sorry to hijack your thread but I dont see a need in adding another thread.

I wanna get my thigh sleeve(is that what they are called? but i will be playing soccer, I will prob hold off for a week or two but I wanna get back in the game shortly after

Do you guys think I should wait until soccer would be over which after summer, or should I get it done now so it heals before summer comes.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Do you get annual holiday entitlement? It may be worth using holiday time to get your tattoo done so you can take care of it as after two weeks off you won’t really need to do anything with it until you get home, shower and moisturise etc.

stefan-t22
Participant
@stefan-t22

actually no. we have a different system. we have money set aside each month from your income and wired to you each spring by the goverment. basically you’re “forced” into taking days off. each month can give you between 2-3 days of paid holiday.

on topic: no i can’t. maybe 4-5 days till the bleeding stops. if not i will postpone it till autumn. maybe i’ll get a different job or something. dunno. i’m becoming reluctant in having it since many of you say that you have to stay put for a couple of weeks. and on top of all of this the warm season is coming. i couldn’t have thought of a better time of the year 🙂

note to self: that was stupid stefan 😉

Adler
Participant
@adler

You don’t have to stop your life after getting a tattoo just be careful, especially for a couple of days until it starts to settle in and heal a little. If you keep it clean and and avoid abrasive rubbing you should be fine. Some people don’t even do that but I tend to be a little over cautious if I can. Control the things you can, if you have to work then work just be careful and keep it as clean as possible and maybe apply a light amount of ointment during the work day and shower as soon as you can after work. You don’t have to go the the gym so maybe take a couple of weeks off from there at least. Don’t radically change your life as a result of a tattoo.

stefan-t22
Participant
@stefan-t22

i’m going to get a few days off so i can void any problems. but i still can’t find a&d or aquaphor oitments in denmark. just on ebay 🙁

only tattoo goo @ 10ml & 70ml tubes. and ink fixx (never heard of it). i think i will go for tattoo goo ^^ as I read that is a good brand.

as for antibiotic ointment – there’s a certain product called bacitracin triple ointment and also bacitracin zinc ointment.

…anyway. i will show up again here shortly after the deed will be done. if all goes well somewhere next week i’ll be getting my ink ^^ ….

Adler
Participant
@adler

Bacitracin isn’t usually recommended for tattoo healing. I used Tattoo Goo on my first and didn’t like it, I needed a touch up and the artist said not to use it because it clogs pores. Other people love the stuff. I also like to use 100% pure shea butter for healing and afterwards too.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Stefan: Go to the nearest Pharmacy and get Helosan Original (the blue tube) and leave the red and green Helosan tubes alone.

Helosan is recommended by tattoo artists all over Scandinavia and it’s a Danish product so it will be available.

Prinny
Participant
@prinny

In response to your question regarding after care product in Europe, I bought and used EasyTattoo after my trip to Poland and it was great. I live in Canada, it’s not avilable here but I had zero issues with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.