MoonDanceLN
Participant
@moondanceln

You would think with all the information on this forum that I would have everything I need. However it seems that I am still VERY lost and clearly need someone to spell it out for me.

I am going for my first tattoo next week (the start of an addiction me thinks) so I want to make sure I have everything I need. My tattoo will be on my upper thigh so it will rub against jeans and workout pants. Do I need to wrap it in plastic? What about while showering?

What about creams? Do I just need an A&D cream?

Sorry for the annoying, probably repetitive newbie questions. Cookies for anyone who will put up with me.

Adler
Participant
@adler

So what are you getting?
Make sure you get aftercare instructions from the artist and follow them, assuming it’s a reputable artist. I would definitely take as many precautions as possible to avoid rubbing between pants (especially denim) and tattoo but I’m not a fan of wrapping in plastic as this traps moisture which isn’t good. Wash it gently in the shower using your hands and not a cloth then either pat dry with a paper towel or air dry thoroughly. You mentioned workout pants…you shouldn’t be working out with a fresh tattoo but casually wearing loose fitting workout pants is better than tight fitting jeans so it can breathe. Regarding creams, again listen to your artist but most people use a light ointment and not a cream after it’s washed and completely dry. Some like A&D, some don’t. Aquaphor is usually a good choice initially and then switch to a non-scented lotion like Lubriderm or Curel. Some people only use lotion and no ointment. Anything else?
Now…about those cookies!

Jimmy_Tatts
Participant
@jimmy_tatts
MoonDanceLN;81513 wrote:
You would think with all the information on this forum that I would have everything I need. However it seems that I am still VERY lost and clearly need someone to spell it out for me.

I am going for my first tattoo next week (the start of an addiction me thinks) so I want to make sure I have everything I need. My tattoo will be on my upper thigh so it will rub against jeans and workout pants. Do I need to wrap it in plastic? What about while showering?

What about creams? Do I just need an A&D cream?

Sorry for the annoying, probably repetitive newbie questions. Cookies for anyone who will put up with me.

I would use the a&d for the first 2 or 3 days. Then afterword use a lotion non scented. But dont glob it on. Put just enough to make it not dry anymore. Keep it clean! Dont wear tight pants untill it heals. Loose pants are good. It will be on you forever so you can go a week or so without working out. You can always make up for missing the work outs later. The only reason plastic is put on a tattoo is to keep it clean before you go home and take a shower. Go home and take a shower! Use your hand and make sure you clean it good! All the excess pigment and blood needs to be washed off. Pat it dry if you must let it air dry for 20 mins or so then add the ointment. You dont have to use ointment and then lotion you can use either or. If you keep getting more ink you will find what works best for you. Again DO NOT GLOB THE OINTMENT/LOTION ON! Just enough to hydrate it.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

My general rule with aftercare is ask the artist. It’s hit work with his name on it… He’ll want it to look as good as it possibly can when it comes out. Everyone you ask will tell you something completely different.

MoonDanceLN
Participant
@moondanceln

Adler- “So what are you getting?” Could you ask a better question?!?! (I have failed miserably at attempts to keep my excitement under control).
This is just a general design I got someone to put together of what I’ll be getting. Some changes will be made. I’m not sure about the base colour either. If you guys think of any ways it could be improved, I’d love to hear it!
The tattoo that has been over 2 years in the making….

Tattoofinal.jpg

THANK YOU everyone for the advice! Very much appreciated. A question about working out-why is it bad? Because of clothes rubbing? Sweat? I’m a Fitness student so working out is unavoidable, but I’m all for making excuses as to why I can’t work up a sweat or any other reason.

Re: loose clothes, I haz none. I think I have one pair of pants that are loose, which I suppose I can make work! LOL. Is this an excuse for a shopping trip? I think so!

Adler
Participant
@adler

Working out is bad due to friction from rubbing against clothes, workout machines, etc., sweating and excessive movement. Let it rest and heal.

Regarding your design…I’m not an artist so I won’t be able to explain well but I don’t see that design translating well to a tattoo. I suppose the horse is doable although there’s alot going on in there, you’ll have to decide on what style you want to go with, obviously not realsim. Also, the figure on the top…how do you want her done? If it’s done the way you have it it will be “negative space” and I don’t think that’s going to work. You’re getting this next week, have you consulted with the artist and showed your design yet? I might be wrong but I’m sorry to say I don’t see this working as a tattoo, at least not the way it is there. Remember, not all images translate to tattoos.

Jimmy_Tatts
Participant
@jimmy_tatts

I like negative space in a tattoo!

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

Use unscented soap/lotion. Clean and pat try, do not rub or scratch tattoo. Keep moisturized (I like Aquaphor) but don’t over moisturize. Don’t let it dry out either.
I’d avoid anything on it that would rub, like jeans. I’d wear loose clothing for several weeks. When my boyfriend had his sleeve done he did wrap it during the first few days but with medical gauze, not plastic wrap, just so he could keep it moisturized and not have all of the Aquaphor rub off on his clothes.

Jimmy_Tatts
Participant
@jimmy_tatts

Wearing a bandage so your ointment/lotion doesnt rub off is good. But I would suggest not putting so much on so that it would rub off. Just put on a little and rub it so that there isnt any excess to rub off.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Jimmy_Tatts;81540 wrote:
I like negative space in a tattoo!

I don’t mind negative space in a tattoo but in this case it seems like a bit much, maybe I’m wrong though.

MoonDanceLN
Participant
@moondanceln

You guys do such a great job of putting up with justanotha’ silly newbie! Thanks for all the advice!

The artist took a quick look at it, and said it should be fine other then I will lose some rain drops. The design that was thrown together was just meant to be a rough idea-I plan to get the artist to change a few things around in the actual design anyway (I want it to look even more stylized if at all possible, and blend together better).

It never occured to me the negative space (which I have always LOVED in art) wouldn’t translate well to a tattoo. I will be sure to go over the design in detail before it’s stuck on my body forever! I have complete faith in the artist, so I’m sure if he doesn’t think it will work then he’ll change it so it will.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Good for you for being so open to feedback, not everyone is like that. Some people think they know it all and even though they ask for feedback they can’t handle hearing it.
If done properly, negative space can look good in a tattoo but with your design the space is large and critical and a major focal point rather than just an accent so that’s where my concern originates.
If you can, I’d love to see some work or a portfolio by the artist. Post a link if you can. Thanks.

MoonDanceLN
Participant
@moondanceln

That’s too bad that so many people aren’t open minded enough for some feedback. I don’t know about them, but I want my tattoo to be PERFECT!

Here is his portforlio on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=18268&id=129614723729231

Adler
Participant
@adler

Thanks for the link. Overall looks pretty good, he should do fine with your tattoo. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver
MoonDanceLN;81589 wrote:
I want my tattoo to be PERFECT!

:rolleyes:…………….]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.