WildandPrecious
Participant
@wildandprecious

I recently got my second tattoo. It’s about 4 inches wide and two or three inches tall. It’s a tree.
The tattooist used tribal ink. It’s my first tribal-ink-tattoo and I’m a little concerned about the way it’s been healing.
The first stage was my usual healing; very raised, red around the edges and thick scabs. Once the thick scabs start to go away, smaller ones and tenderness come for the second week. Usually after the thinner scabs come off, I’m done and fully healed.
This time I had the smaller scabs, swelling and tenderness and then MORE scabs, peeling and this odd white at the edges of the tattoo. My friend thinks it’s just because I haven’t been able to shave my leg in that area, but the white disappears when I put lotion on. Is that normal? Parts of my tattoo are still tender when light pressure is applied. I’m also worried that some ink was pulled away from the earlier scabs, but I can’t quite tell yet.

Is this normal for tribal ink healing? Will the black stay as sharp and vibrant as it is now? Because compared to my tree, the quote I got in April looks years old.

WildandPrecious
Participant
@wildandprecious

Over 100 views and still no replies? Come on guys, surely one or two of you have some sort of comment. Please, please, please help me out.

stillbirth_machine
Participant
@stillbirth_machine

Could be poor application of the tattoo or after care. Sounds like they over worked your skin a bit, which happends a lot with solid black fills. Would really help if you post photos of the tattoo…. In regards to the ink, who makes the ink they used? I don’t think Tribal Ink is a ink company, say like: Eternal, Intenze, Starbrite, Fusion,etc… I’ve never heard of it or used it.

What are you using/doing for after care? I’ve had some clients tell me some crazy ass after care instructions other tattooers have given them with their past tattoos. If a tattoo is too dry during healing, it will over scab, which is not good as it will heal deeper in the skin and take longer and could heal a bit patchy,etc… One reason why solid black tattoos are a waste of time to do. You don’t want to over moisturize a tattoo either….

Anyway, becareful with the tattoo for the rest of the healing and hope it works out for you!

WildandPrecious
Participant
@wildandprecious

I just found this photo that a friend took with their phone, maybe it’ll give a hint of what it looks like?

My friend’s saw the ink they used, and she said it was tribal ink– not as the brand, but as the actual ink? She said it meant the tattoo would stay nice and dark, and that supposedly it was a really good kind of ink.

As for aftercare, I just did the same thing I did with my last one; I used Suave Cocoa Butter body lotion. I tried using Aquafore, but whenever I put it on, the ink leaked badly and left everything I touched covered in black ink.
I’ve been putting on lotion whenever it feels really dry. I showed it to a lady in my class today who has a lot of tattoos, and she said the white around the edges of the lines was just dry skin? I guess I won’t really know until it fully heals up.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In partial answer to your questions when getting a solid black tattoo the artist often has to work the skin quite a few times to get a solid fill.

Depending on the experience and skill of the artist this means that there can be a certain amount of more scabbing or a lot more scabbing.

If the area has been overworked there will be a lot of heavy scabbing a very slow healing time.

The white patches is necrotic skin – ie dead skin patches or patches that still contain traces of the fluid that helps form the scab.

The key part here is keep it very clean and lightly moisturise it with non-scented cream twice a day.

As for tribal ink – I have come across many brands but not heard specifically heard of a brand called Tribal Ink.

I have heard this phrase when artists have discussed pigment with a high carbon or iron oxide content as this is often used for black tribal pieces.

The black will have a slightly more faded look as it is showing through layers of skin rather than open wound.

Also if heavy scabbed leave it 6 weeks to fully heal above and below before having any touch ups done (this can be common on solid fill pieces).

Here is an extract from my tattoo e-book which states what is often found in black tattoo pigment.

Black – Iron Oxide, Carbon (soot), Magnetite crystals, Powdered jet, Wustite (mineral compound found in raw iron), Bone black, (burned bone used very rarely in modern tattoo ink manufacture) and Amorphous Carbon (graphite).

Take Care
Matthew

WildandPrecious
Participant
@wildandprecious

Thanks so much for the reply!
So you think by next week it should be almost fully healed? It’ll be four-five weeks since I got it…

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Yes it should be healed but depends on factors such as your health and after care.
The surface of a tattoo is usually ‘clear’ within 2-3 weeks but below the skin can take upto 6 weeks to fully heal.

If you have heavy scabbing this generally takes a week or 2 longer as the damage to the skin is greater and more care is needed.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.