Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hello

These are some queries which are a bit precise for most aftercare advice i’ve seen, so i was hoping for a little advice here. 🙂 My very simple line drawing tattoo (no shading at all) is a week and 2 days old as of now

1. tattoo placement: my tattoo is on the inside of my right ankle, but below the bone (so just above the heel) the second tiny part is just where the arch begins. Now I’ve been incredibly careful with aftercare, using tattoo goo soap, lotion and salve 4 times a day, going barefoot when I can but wearing socks and trainers when it’s sunny. When do I need to stop worrying about clothing pulling ink off with shoes?

2. Sun cream and healing: I know FULL healing can take up to six weeks, but when is healed enough to use sun cream? My tattoo hasnt really ever scabbed per say, there’s just a line of ink that you can feel under the fingertips – does that need to gone and my skin need to be smooth before I can use anything other than appropriate health care stuff on it? It still gets a little clearer every time it gets wet – I remember someone mentioning ‘snake skin’?

3.Itchiness – how long should that last? I was very very lucky and my tattoo hardly hurt at all to get, but in the last few days that has turned to itching which is occasionally sore. Is that normal? There has been no peeling or flaking, the worst is dust size bits of black that occasionally brush off onto socks

4. Ink on/under skin – one of the lines seems to have the layer of ink IN my skin slightly (like, less than a mm.) to the side of the layer on top. Is that normal?

Ok..I’ll stop now. Sorry to be so pernickety but I know you lot all get that it’s so important! Answers to all/any REALLY appreciated!

Thanks, with inky love

Poesy

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

You can worry about pulling ink out when it stops peeling, I believe. This usually takes about four weeks for me.

Itchiness is normal. You can lightly slap at the skin, and this should relieve some. Soreness isn’t abnormal, but if it persists or gets worse I would see a doctor about it.

Can’t answer your other questions for you, but I’m sure somebody else will chime in.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Also…is it normal to not peel at all?

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I got a foot tattoo and it was sore. Maybe the placement over the bone but I had a hard time walking for a few days. My foot was also throbbing and I had to keep it elevated alot. I got it done about 2 weeks ago and the peeling has finally stopped.
I don’t know why yours isn’t peeling. Are you sure you are not over moisturizing?

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

I don’t know!

I thought you had to STOP it drying out? The stuff i have says to use it three/four times a day….like it feels dry under my finger tips and all. I can feel the ink on my skin. But I thought it was Ok if it peeled, not something that was explicitly meant to happen? help!

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Anyone else?

I’d normally try not to be so annoying but this is so important! And now I’m starting to freak out a little…

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Don’t stress. 🙂

Are you using a thin layer of moisturizer when you apply it?

It’s likely there just isn’t much there to peel. I remember you saying it was a simple, line tattoo. When I had my outline it just barely flaked off in some places. I barely noticed any peeling at all. I imagine this is the case with your tattoo.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Thanks for replying 🙂

Yeah, i use less than my little nail’s worth of lotion across the two tiny tattoos, and once that’s absorbed I literally just wipe a finger in the tattoo goo pot and then over my skin.

I saw on another thread someone say you shouldnt be moisturising after 10 days…is that right? I figured you carried on until it was healed?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi sorry for the delay in response.

The ink remains placed in the skin when the scabbing and or peeling has ended. By this time the pigment is locked into the skin and normal clothes/socks rubbing should not pull the ink out.

Sun cream – Ideally you should not expose the tattoo to intensive sunlight ever. We all know this is impossible so best advice is that the tattoo should not have any sun creams applied for the first 2-3 weeks the surface at least needs to be fully healed. No scabs or peeling or tight skin.

Really should leave it 6-8 weeks to make sure it is fully healed beneath the surface which makes the celluar breakdown of the pigment harder by UV/UB.

It takes around 6 weeks to fully shed a skin surface a little less on hands and feet.

Itching – should settle within 7-10 days tends to start as soon as the scabs form or peeling starts, some do not suffer too much me it is almost unbearable.

The layer of ink in the skin could be one of 2 things;

1. A stain in the skin which will peel away or disappear within a couple of weeks.

2. A blow out of the line and will require the lines boldening – they do happen so do not panic if this is the case.

Hope that helps.

Take Care
Matthew

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Thank you for another of your wonderfully detailed replies.

The separate line seems to have disappeared – I’ll see how it does with heeling. I hope there isn’t a blow out because the writing can’t get any thicker…

I think I’m just going to have to use sun cream this weekend, when it’ll be two weeks old. I have a fancy dress garden party which requires flip flops. I figure if I use a tiny amount, over tattoo goo, and then give it a good wash straight after, that should be ok?

After that I won’t need it in the sun again for a good while I don’t think

Thanks again

Poesy

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

No worries

If it was a blow out it would not have disappeared – prob just ink stain on the skin also very common.

The main thing is do not leave your ink baking in the sun for hours on end and I am sure with sun block you will be fine – don’t put tattoo goo over the sun block though – it will ruin the protective layer.

Have a great party and when do we see your ink?

Take Care
Matthew

Poesy
Participant
@poesy
Sherav;69238 wrote:
n do we see your ink?

Lol…when it’s healed! I really want to show people but I’m wary of getting it slated! I’ve been receiving enough distaste regarding it over the last week – I don’t want the same from people with tattoos, so I figured I’d try and show it at it’s best!

Poesy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.