mustard
Participant
@mustard

g’day

i participate in triathlons and fairly active during the week with training.
what im worried about is the aftercare of a tattoo and how this conflicts with my training schedule. i will be getting a 3/4 sleeve done.
can someone help with the below?
1) how soon after being tattoo’d can i start swimming again?
2) will sweat be an issue? eg.. inked today.. run training tommorrow… or will i also need to wait?

The clothing i wear for swimming,running,cycle is either fitted (not tight) and fairly light weight clothing.. so does not rub against the body..

Thanks in advance.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

the swimming is an issue, its not recommended to go swimming for about 4 weeks to allow the skin to heal enough, even after 4 weeks the outer layers of skin have healed but beneath the surface there is still some healing going on…
the sweat is not so much of a problem, although a lot of sweat could cause issues with the softening of the scabs and also the possibility of it leading to an infection.
i would recommend giving up the training for the first week, just to let it settle down, then start your training again but be cautious of it at all times.

DO NOT place anything like vaseline to try and protect from the water and sweat as it will totally screw up the tattoo, follow your artists healing instructions and all will be good

hope that helped in some way 😉

mustard
Participant
@mustard

thanks for the info !

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Also avoid sunscreen on the tattoo area this can and will mess with your ink. Also have some bottled water and if you are sweating profusely for extended try and gently pat down the tattoo with clean water every 3-4 hrs of extensive exercise.

No rubbing it just wipes away the salt build up and will relive the sting.

Also I hear this a lot and it is bad advice never clingfilm the tattoo when exercising – it will harbour germs and bacteria and could lead to infection.

Take Care
Matthew

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Also avoid sunscreen on the tattoo area this can and will mess with your ink. Also have some bottled water and if you are sweating profusely for extended try and gently pat down the tattoo with clean water every 3-4 hrs of extensive exercise.

No rubbing it just wipes away the salt build up and will relieve the sting.

Also I hear this a lot and it is bad advice never clingfilm the tattoo when exercising – it will harbour germs and bacteria and could lead to infection.

Take Care
Matthew

mustard
Participant
@mustard

Thanks again for the info!

have decided to definitely stop swimming for probs 6-8wks after getting the tattoo.. this really messes up my schedule.. because iam booked in for late march.. then again late april, and every 2wks after that… so looks like i wont be swimming for a LONG time once i start in March..

I guess i can still go cycling and running… but very concious about the sweating part… for cycling.. i sweat heaps once i stop cycling (no more wind to blow it dry)… more or less same with running.. but i will probably have to wait until i finish the work before i can pick this up again due to short space betwen each session..

Thanks again!

edit: just realised.. thats almost 3 months out of 2010 schedule.. holy crap !!!

katdiablo
Participant
@katdiablo

I play roller derby and have to wear arm pads (elbow & wrist) when I play.. ( I have arm tattoos). I have found that using “after Inked” tattoo moisturizer from the moment the tattoo is on has everything healed up within 2 weeks and at least twice as fast as anything else I’ve ever used on new tattoos..

It’s $20 a bottle at the shop I go to, but worth every penny.. (Just a suggestion)

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
katdiablo;60984 wrote:
I play roller derby and have to wear arm pads (elbow & wrist) when I play.. ( I have arm tattoos). I have found that using “after Inked” tattoo moisturizer from the moment the tattoo is on has everything healed up within 2 weeks and at least twice as fast as anything else I’ve ever used on new tattoos..

It’s $20 a bottle at the shop I go to, but worth every penny.. (Just a suggestion)

the after inked is pretty good stuff, i am currently trying it out instead of using vaseline during the tattooing process and asking the client to use it for aftercare….. im still not 100% on the stuff but i am willing to give it a try as recommended by a rep from the company…. i am awaiting some replies from my regulars as to what they think of it 😉

they dont just do it in the bottles, it is available in small 7ml sachets which in english money is £1 and will be sufficiant for a small tattoo (approx 2inchx2inch) as you only need small amounts applying.

mustard
Participant
@mustard

thanks for that.. ill see if that product is available here in Sydney.
at this stage i was thinking of going down either the usual benpanthen (sp?) or Curel path..

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

bepanthan has an oily base so it can get a little messy, i normally give my clients a tube of savlon, this after ink is just a trial im doing at the minute….. i must admit im still more in favour of savlon 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.