Leviathan
Participant
@leviathan

Sup guys,

I was wondering, as I could not find a definitive answer, what is really hurting my tattoo in the long term.

So the sun is really a thing, makes the tattoo fade.

But what about other things? For example, getting hurt at the place of tattoo (e.g. could a hard blunt hit push the ink in some direction?) ? Could some prescription drugs cause my blood and/or white cells to in fact kill n’ remove my tattoo? Could use of aloe vera, petroleum, wax, apple cider vinegar, ethanol, or parabens on the tattooed skin cause fading (or, if so, how much? like, will be daily wash with those chemicals be visible in one year?) Will sick skin, e.g. eczema or dryness hurt my tattoo (should I continue to moisturize etc. my skin after getting healed?) ?

I would be really grateful if someone could shine some light into long term care for a tattoo for me 🙂
Leviathan

P.S. If that anyhow matters, atm I got a small behind-the-ear tattoo, but I kinda hope for general tattoos, placed anywhere. Though I care only about black ones (those made from ash, if I recall correctly).

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Use sunscreen

Dan
Participant
@dan

yep ! either clothing that blocks the sun ,or a good 50spf or higher sunscreen,and I also use a good fragrance free lotion like Aveeno.
btw,I have tested both Lubriderm and Aveeno and Aveeno is clearly a way better product.

Devious6
Participant
@devious6

@Dan 147478 wrote:

yep ! either clothing that blocks the sun ,or a good 50spf or higher sunscreen,and I also use a good fragrance free lotion like Aveeno.
btw,I have tested both Lubriderm and Aveeno and Aveeno is clearly a way better product.

I latched on to the recommendations for Aveeno and have been using it since making the transition from Aquaphor to body lotion with my tattoo – and it is fantastic. I’ll be heading out on a trip down south soon and need to get that sun screen next!

Dan
Participant
@dan

@Devious6 147480 wrote:

I latched on to the recommendations for Aveeno and have been using it since making the transition from Aquaphor to body lotion with my tattoo – and it is fantastic. I’ll be heading out on a trip down south soon and need to get that sun screen next!

ya,I have been using Lubriderm for years,but on my knees,my skin seemed to dry out in 30 minutes,so I did some research looking for a better lotion for long term daily use,and the Aveeno has less alcohol and some other good ingredients,but bottom line is the Aveeno keeps my skin moisturized for several hours if not all day ! good stuff.Aveeno is like I said a clearly better product for sure.no more Lubriderm.

Leviathan
Participant
@leviathan

Thanks guys for your replies. Though, I’m still concerned about the safety of using apple cider vinegar or parabens on my skin. Anyone know for sure?

Devious6
Participant
@devious6

It seems to me that using any type of vinegar would be counter-productive to good care. Vinegar is an astringent and so it would cause the skin to dry and contract. Exactly the opposite of what you want to do – moisturize your skin.

Parabens are still found in a lot of skin care products – although some companies produce paraben free products. The issue with them, when used in larger quantities is that they are similar to estrogen and COULD be related to cancer, especially breast cancer. So, I don’t think there is a problem with then when used in products for tattoo care when used in moderation….and you don’t want to smother a tattoo in lotion anyway.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

I use Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula in small amounts almost every day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.