Phat_Goddess
Participant
@phat_goddess
Pie;51357 wrote:
I understand most of the views on here are against the piercing and tattooing of children of young age, And I do understand that I am only the age of 16, I just want to play the role of the devil’s advocate here.
With this day and age, With the more “Hardcore” bands out there having many piercings and or tattoo’s the public is becoming more and more okay with it, Am I right?
Sure tattooing a child from the age of 6-17 isn’t the best choice as a parent but it is thier choice, Correct?
Tattoo’s and piercings don’t exactly effect your working capabilities but it does hinder the ways the public looks at you, Which is kind sad in my opinion.
All I’m saying is that with the new genre of music out there, And the new sense of style that is put out in the public , I do think it’s getting desensified.=]

Even with “hardcore” bands being out doesn’t affect everybody’s opinion on tattoos & piercings. Some hate the music & the way they are dressed, pierced, etc. I think it’s slowly becoming more socially accepted, but you still have to keep in mind the possibility of future employers. There is still the majority of employers who have policies where tattoos have to be hidden.
I think that is an understatement. There should never, ever be a reason for a 6 year old to have a tattoo. EVER. I think depending on the child’s maturity level, the tattoo they want to receive and other varying factors 17 would be okay, but if they really want it, why is it so bad to wait one more year to be sure?

With regards to piercings, in my area I know many people who got their infants ears pierced. I wanted to pierce my daughters, but never took her, so if she wants it done I will let her. I had my lobes pierced when I was an infant, they closed up & when I was around 7 or 8 I wanted them repierced & my mom took me with no issue. With other piercings my dad was far more strict. He said no other piercings except 1 in the lobe. Well I turned 13 got my 2nd set, 15 I did the 3rd hole on one side by myself, & 17 I pierced my cartilage myself. Since my children are still very young, I’m going to have to say I’ll probably have no problem with letting them get their ears done, but other piercings I’m not sure about. I’ll probably make them wait until 16 or so. I know I’ll probably get a better stand on it as my kids are growing up but for right now that’s how I feel. lol.

Pie
Participant
@pie

Yeah, I do see your points.
thank you=]

PsychoticInk
Participant
@psychoticink

I am against it. I think any shop willing to just do it any way should probably take a look at what they are doing and consider wether or not the time is right to get out of tattooing and piercing business. The art of tattooingand body piercing has grown in leaps and bounds in recent times. We owe it to those that have done all the great work and attention to detail that has made it grow in positive reasons and not by those wittless worthless artists/piercer that work hard to undo all those that do it right.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i cant see how people are bringing the whole thing of tattoos into this topic, it was originally about kids being pierced, but for the record…. it is illegal for us to tattoo any person under the age of 18 here in the uk, and as for piercings then it was advised by my environmental health officer that children from the age of 7 is fine for ear lobes only, then at i6 they can have eyebrow and lips and other ear areas but under no circumstances should genital areas be done under the age of 18, the reason being is that it is classed as abuse of a minor and peadophilia..

PsychoticInk
Participant
@psychoticink
Outlaw;51438 wrote:
i cant see how people are bringing the whole thing of tattoos into this topic, it was originally about kids being pierced, but for the record…. it is illegal for us to tattoo any person under the age of 18 here in the uk, and as for piercings then it was advised by my environmental health officer that children from the age of 7 is fine for ear lobes only, then at i6 they can have eyebrow and lips and other ear areas but under no circumstances should genital areas be done under the age of 18, the reason being is that it is classed as abuse of a minor and peadophilia..

I wish it were the same here. In Alabama in the US teens 13 and up can be pierced or tattooed with guardian present and signing the consent forms. I myself turn them away. I think if they really want it that bad they can wait and if they still want it later, then its a different story.

I have requested my local health dept. to admen this provision for the safety of our youth, so far they have not ammended it.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

well i can only congratulate you on your choice of turning them away, its nice to find somebody that aint only in it for the money….. 😉

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

I live in an area with serious gang saturation, and I – as well as other artists will offer, from time to time, to tattoo at-risk teens (at the request of the parent) who are considering getting a gang tattoo, with something other than a a gang tattoo. When I was 12, my older sister and I tattooed “moles” on our faces because it was the tradition in our little groups. I tattooed my younger sister when she was 15, safely, and at my own shop, with the permission of mom so little sis wouldn’t go out and get one done elsewhere where it wasn’t safe.

The point being that there’s ALWAYS grey areas. I don’t see the question — of whether it’s okay to EVER tattoo or pierce a minor — to ALWAYS be as simple as a yes or no. That’s kind of like asking if life is ALWAYS fair- If you say “no” you’re wrong, because it’s fair that life isn’t always fair. So what’s the point? lol The best answer (I think) is that it depends on the situation.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Actually this sentiment had me thinking of a situation I was in as a teenager which feels like a long time ago. I only raise to play devils advocate and thrown in the flipside of the argument. 😉

You know I once had a similar discussion with my lawyer.

He said that scarring the guy in the face with a broken bottle (even if it was a small scar) because he said ‘Go on then do it!’ was not an adequate defence :confused:

After all he asked me to do it – in fact he provoked me to do it and the situation seemed right (I mean he could have had it done by somebody less qualified and ended up with losing an eye or a major scar rather than the small one I gave him).

I also put forward that small scars like that were to be expected in our area and that many of the women appreciated the ‘macho look’ and I am sure I had actually enhanced his chances of a future wife.

The court did not share our local customs and sentenced my arse.

So yes life is not fair and the simple fact is just because we act like idiots (I admit it full I was a fool back then) does not carry any justification to the act.

Education is what is needed and any tattoo artist who is into tattooing minors needs a good beating and branding.

The argument of ‘we are going to do it anyway’ is not helped when people use the argument of lets do it in a controlled way.

That is how such bad shit becomes normal behaviour and entrenched never to be removed from society.

Whilst I can see the argument it was just a small dot I could (and did) argue it was just a small scar but then people will always ask where does it end before it is no longer acceptable?

Obviously there is no ‘right’ answer to both sides of the argument (I do not think my opinion carries any more weight than yours) but it is always good to look at both sides of the opinion.

Take Care
Matthew

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

lol Very well said, Sherav. But we agree to disagree, so let me distract you with a story I think you’ll find interesting:

http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=10359650&nav=menu612_2_7

This happened about 45 minutes up the road from me. Cheers.

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

I always thought it was illegal to tattoo someone under the age of 18 (well here in the UK) as for piercings on small children I think its awful, I went with my friend to get 8 month old daughters ears pierced and she screamed like nobodys business it was horrible, I just cant imagine why anyone would want to inflict pain on their child.

I think if the child asks then yeh sure why not let them have their ears pierced but a tattoo will last forever so youve gotta be an adult before you can decide whether you want one or not otherwise wed have people getting barbie or summit crazy at the age of 7 and regretting it in like 5 yrs…if that makes sense.

x

steelergirl07
Participant
@steelergirl07

I was 16 when I got my first tattoo. I had permission, so thats all i’m going to say about that.

As for piercing, I got my ears done when I was a baby, so did my sisters, and a lot of other girls I grew up with, so I don’t see it as a bad thing.

Just my opinion…

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

piercing kids up to 13 is awful – so much can go wrong and theyre kids they dont know what they want – teens however i think its up to them, you’re your own person by then

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond

Here I go.

Tattoos: not under eighteen, even with consent. Tattoos, more so then piercings, need to be thought out. Use those younger years for the planning, because I know you’re going to change your mind at least one. Or improve upon it. Why fill up space so quick? Besides, this way you can keep you’re tattoo looking better for a few more later years. I’ve never felt right about tattoos under eighteen.

Piercings: lobes, whenever. It’s such an acceptable thing that it doesn’t even need a discussion. I’ve seen babies with their ears pierced, and it’s never stirred emotion in me. The nose piercing is debatable, anyone think to wonder if it was a cultural move? If a piercing has significance behind it for the persons culture, then by all means, I’d much rather they get it professionally done. If you just want to shove a needle through your kid’s nose just because, no. Generally I see sixteen as a good age for consent. As long as it’s not a genitalia piercing / dermal / demi-permanent. Parental consent, iffy.

As for the piercer that pierced the fourteen year olds genitals? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Deserving of a statutory rape charge? No. Taking his license (if he even had one)? Yes. Banning him? Maybe. Fake i.d. perhaps? In that case the little bugger should be in juvie for screwing with people’s lives. It all depends on the level of awareness.

SaraRhiannon
Participant
@sararhiannon

Got my nose done at 13, I have a bunch of ear piercings, lobes were done at 4 and my second holes, snug and helix were spread our over three years and at 16 I got my tongue done. I knew girls who got their navels done at 12, that seemed a little extreme to me though. :confused:

ShauniMay
Participant
@shaunimay
KnightHawk;50320 wrote:
As for the original point of this thread, I’m of the opinion that tattoos have to wait until you’re eighteen, hell, maybe ya’all might want to wait until your in your twenties just to be sure.

But peircings, I say go for it when you hit fifteen, as long as we’re talking minor piercings like eyebrow rings, septum, belly button, monroes…the kind of thing that only leaves a tiny, round scar no one will notice anyway.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

I completely agree with this to be honest. I am 17 and i have 12 piercings, however my mother has been there for most of them. There is only about 2 i have got without my mummy, and my ex boyfriends father took me to get those done. I think piercing restrictions is a bit extreme. At the age of 15 i knew 100% that i wanted all the piercings i have now…and i havent changed my mind. But i deffinately think it should remain at 18 for tattoos.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.