piercedmumma
Participant
@piercedmumma

was just wonding on what everyone thought of young kids (ages ranging from 6 to17) i know of a few storys of people getting introuble for piercing a 14 your old (mind you was a gential piercing) the piercer was done for statutory rape. was wondering what peoples views of that charge was? And i know people can look older then their age and thats how they get away with doing things like that (me not so lucky im 20 and ive had people say im 14 its horrorable being pergnant and people younger then you saying omg she’s 13 and pregnant when i was almost 18)

And what are peoples views on kids who get piercings and the worse case tattoos to go against their parents wishes (i personally think its stupid but ive never had to my parents let me get piercings from the age of 14 and ive got piercings with my mummy i have been very lucky to have very understanding parents the only thing they did was stop me getting tattooed young because not all young people know what they want and end up regretting them and im glad they did that.)

and I know a story we shall say of a 6year old that the mother went and for the childs noise pierced. I personally think 6 is way to young and i know as a person who has had piercings young and is a little different people judge

any views and thoughs?

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

our studio has a policy with piercing, lobes are fine at 7, (with parental consent) anything else under 18 is with parental consent, and the parents have to be present.
We would NEVER pierce a 6 year olds nose that is ludicrous and totally insane.

piercedmumma
Participant
@piercedmumma

i think most have that but i know places that tattoo 14 and 16 year olds with and without parents consent and the parents being present when i was 17 and got my nipples pierced my piercer said my mum had to be in there with me (she was gonna be anyway shes been there for most of my piercings) how do some places get away with permantly marking a child?

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

well my views my be different from many here :rolleyes: ,

in my own family (distant) people with daughters often get them done whiles a baby and at their christening they are given a pair of diamond studs .
I dont really agree or disagree with this and seeing that i dont have a daughter i havent had to make the choice .

My son is 3 and quite a few boys in his nursery class do have their ear pierced and i have decided that he can have it done when he asks for it done 😉
i actually asked my mum for my ears to be pierced when i was about 7 and as a treat for being good at the dentist she took me to a local hair dressers that did ear piercings and i went home a happy bunny 😀

I have had my nose pierced for a long long time , many that have their nose done from an early age is for cultural reasons and i don’t really see the harm in it as long as its done safely its no worse than them getting their pe school injections .

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i personally think that ear lobes is ok from about 8 yrs old, and ANY other piercings should be 18+

piercedmumma
Participant
@piercedmumma

i half agree with the ears should be around 8years old they tend not to play with them as much but my niece asked for hers to be pierced at 2 or 3 and she still doesnt touch them and shes 6 with body piercings i started at 14 with parents consent would never of got them if my parents wasnt okay with it i believe having parents consent is okay cause piercings just leave scars not people hardly see but i believe gential piercings are for over 18 (even tho i got mine at 17 i regret them)

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
piercedmumma;50272 wrote:
my niece asked for hers to be pierced at 2 or 3 and she still doesnt touch them and shes 6

how the hell would a 2 yr old child know what it meant to get her ears pierced…… :confused:

sorry but im sticking with the fact that i think there should be strict rules on it, it should be classed as child abuse in my eyes…..

(im out of this one from now on , i shall monitor this topic but not post again except for moderating !)

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I guess I am victorian in my thinking but I told my daughter I don’t give a damn if all of her friends have piercings (she was 13 when she asked) she could wait until she was 16 to get her ears done (I told her she can get lobes or single top done but no stretching or industrials until she as at least 18) and if she got a tattoo before she was 18 I would beat the tattooist to death and laser off any ink she had done.

See my thread on tattoo removal >:)

Awful aint I :p

My reasons are simple – the whole thing with tattooing and piercings are that it is body modification not just a lobe or a nose.

You are performing an act of scarification on your child to make them look pretty. Children are not fashion accessories and they are there in trust to us to look out for them. Piercings on babies for me (cultural or otherwise) is just wrong the child should be able to make the choice and have an understanding of the consequence of their choices.

Sure some may understand this before they are 16 but at the time my daughter only wanted piercings because her friends had them.

I admit I am on the far edge of protective and don’t deny it but as I walked into today from my third back piece session with a blood soaked shirt I asked my daughter you still want that tattoo?

She was like umm maybe not just yet. The point being she was able to make an informed decision rather than just sit in that chair whilst I grab a needle.

Take Care
Matthew

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

I’m kind of with Butterfly_Kisses on this one. In my culture, we sometimes pierce the baby’s ears around the time of her Baptism. I don’t see that as a bad thing because it’s so common where I come from. But I know that if you don’t get someone else’s customs they can seems wierd, wrong or cruel. Like the Africans who perform clitorectomies on 11 yr. old girls, put in lip plates or strecth their necks. Or the South American jungle poeple who have the cheek piercings. Or even better, male infant circumcisions, which is a custom that came to America and now it’s so rooted here that a majority of the public just do it as a routine thing at birth! They (“we” actually, coz I’d do it too) reaaaaly believe if a man’s foreskin isn’t cut off at birth that his penis won’t come out of it’s skin so it’ll be germy and he’ll get all kinds of nasty infections (what else people might think I haven’t a clue). But how in the world did the penis survive evolution without circumcisions…? The reasons for why humans pierce are obviously rooted in religion or superstition, but they’ll ~still~ be lining thier baby boys up to get that foreskin off- and for decades to come- and all the while calling it “health reasons”, or “medical purposes”. So between that reasoning or the reasons why one might pierce their baby girl’s ears at Baptism, who’s logic seems the more extreme and outrageous?

At the bottom line, it seems like it’s just an issue of cultural norms, and I for one don’t see a day when everyone will be approving of everyone else’s customs. As far as shops piercing minors…NEVER. NEVER, never and never under the age of about 17, and not where it will leave a permanant and visible scar or impression (such as cheek dimples). Nor do I approve of any genital/nipple piercings on minors because no one’s done enough research to prove that those kinds of piercings have no permanant affect.

This is a very interesting question, by the way!

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Amanda, clitorectomies, or as they’re more commonly called, female genital mutilations, are cruel and, frankly, insane no matter what your culture is. It’s not something up for debate–it’s done to take away a woman’s sexual pleasure in order to guaran-damn-tee she won’t cheat on her future husband since she, won’t, you know, enjoy having sex. Its sole purpose is to render women chattel, the property of the men in their lives, and to give those men the utter control of one of the most basic rights a human has: the control of their sexual lives.

The other things you mentioned, sure, cultural differences, whatever, but FGM is just pure evil. Period.

As for the original point of this thread, I’m of the opinion that tattoos have to wait until you’re eighteen, hell, maybe ya’all might want to wait until your in your twenties just to be sure.

But peircings, I say go for it when you hit fifteen, as long as we’re talking minor piercings like eyebrow rings, septum, belly button, monroes…the kind of thing that only leaves a tiny, round scar no one will notice anyway.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

I’m not debating clitorectomies, KnightHawk. In fact, I never stated my opinion on them either way. All I’ve offered thus far (so far as opinions matter) was “I for one don’t see a day when everyone will be approving of everyone else’s customs.”.

KnightHawk;50320 wrote:
Amanda, clitorectomies, or as they’re more commonly called, female genital mutilations, are cruel and, frankly, insane no matter what your culture is. It’s not something up for debate–it’s done to take away a woman’s sexual pleasure in order to guaran-damn-tee she won’t cheat on her future husband since she, won’t, you know, enjoy having sex. Its sole purpose is to render women chattel, the property of the men in their lives, and to give those men the utter control of one of the most basic rights a human has: the control of their sexual lives.

The other things you mentioned, sure, cultural differences, whatever, but FGM is just pure evil. Period.

As for the original point of this thread, I’m of the opinion that tattoos have to wait until you’re eighteen, hell, maybe ya’all might want to wait until your in your twenties just to be sure.

But peircings, I say go for it when you hit fifteen, as long as we’re talking minor piercings like eyebrow rings, septum, belly button, monroes…the kind of thing that only leaves a tiny, round scar no one will notice anyway.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

karlague77
Participant
@karlague77

well I was raised in a very strict, religious home. I think I begged my mom from the age of 13 to let me pierce my ears, but she never allowed it. So at the age of 15 when I went back to my country for vacation my cousins taught me how to pierce them with a needle and thread and I immediately did two holes in each ear lol…now I have a 15 year old son who asked me about a year ago to pierce his ear, and I did it for him. he had it on for a while and I guess he got tired of it and let the hole close up. A few months ago he said he wanted his eyebrow done and this time I took him to my piercer and he had it done. He had previously wanted his ear pierced when he was about 8 or 10 because a few of his friends had it, but I felt that at that time he was too young. so I guess it depends on the parent and of course the child… at 15 I felt he was more mature and responsible and I also explained to him that piercings and tattoos should not determine the kind of person he is (because the reality is that there are a lot of stereotypes about people with tattoos and piercings) I told him he should always carry himself with respect and that way others will always respect him…the only thing I have told both my sons is that they can get a tattoo when they turn 18 because then they will be responsible for their own actions, for now I am responsible for them as their mother.

Pie
Participant
@pie

I understand most of the views on here are against the piercing and tattooing of children of young age, And I do understand that I am only the age of 16, I just want to play the role of the devil’s advocate here.
With this day and age, With the more “Hardcore” bands out there having many piercings and or tattoo’s the public is becoming more and more okay with it, Am I right?
Sure tattooing a child from the age of 6-17 isn’t the best choice as a parent but it is thier choice, Correct?
Tattoo’s and piercings don’t exactly effect your working capabilities but it does hinder the ways the public looks at you, Which is kind sad in my opinion.
All I’m saying is that with the new genre of music out there, And the new sense of style that is put out in the public , I do think it’s getting desensified.=]

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink
Pie;51357 wrote:
I understand most of the views on here are against the piercing and tattooing of children of young age, And I do understand that I am only the age of 16, I just want to play the role of the devil’s advocate here.
With this day and age, With the more “Hardcore” bands out there having many piercings and or tattoo’s the public is becoming more and more okay with it, Am I right?
Sure tattooing a child from the age of 6-17 isn’t the best choice as a parent but it is thier choice, Correct?
Tattoo’s and piercings don’t exactly effect your working capabilities but it does hinder the ways the public looks at you, Which is kind sad in my opinion.
All I’m saying is that with the new genre of music out there, And the new sense of style that is put out in the public , I do think it’s getting desensified.=]

Any tattooist that tattoos a child under the age of 16 should be shot in the head

Pie
Participant
@pie
Izarrasink;51362 wrote:
Any tattooist that tattoos a child under the age of 16 should be shot in the head

That’s a bit harsh, But okay you’re the professional.
I do agree with the tattooing of a persons of that age is bad,yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.