marmottoo
    Participant
    @marmottoo

Hi there,

After many years of admiring body art without committing I’m now planning my first, and perhaps only, tattoo (yeah I know, it doesn’t end there!). Never one to do things by halves, I’m working out a design for a full back piece (shoulders to hip) and would really appreciate any advice members are able to offer on both my design and suggestions on artists who might be able to bring my dream to magnificent life…

The theme will be a fierce mother dragon protecting her two young, the mother caught in the act of turning to face the threat from behind and giving it the full Eye of Sauron baleful glare.

The youngsters will be peeping out from the safety of her coils and wearing some slightly cheeky (though not overly cute) expressions. The scene will be set against a backdrop of mountains across my shoulders, with the silhouette of a daddy dragon (that’s me) returning to the roost…

In terms of style, I’m not sure how best to describe it but I guess realistic (is that appropriate for a creature of legend?)……I’m not after a stylised look or old/new school. Likewise I haven’t decided for sure between black/grey or colour. I’d take the artist’s advice and could be drawn either way if I found the right artist.

I’m just west of London so I’m looking for a studio either in the capital or close to it. Any suggestions for someone who could give me a jaw-dropping piece to be proud of would be greatly appreciated……

Cheers, Marmottoo

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Welcome to the forums Marmottoo.

You are after the single most difficult genre of tattoo art; Realistic Fantasy. To pull something like this off requires not an okay or a good artist, but a spectacular one. Someone of Dmitriy Samohin’s caliber, but in your genre.
    I have been looking for a proper artist in this area for years, so if you find one, please let me know 🙂 Geography can’t be a limiting factor, though. You may need to travel.

We have some English in here. Hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Hey there,

I started off with my first tattoo at an older age with a full back piece 🙂

As ArniVidar says, if possible I would look at artists abroad in Europe also as for something so grand personally I would go to a world class artist.

Even if you have to spread it over a longer period, it will be well worth it.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Don’t ask random people on the net help about designing your piece. Research artists style you like and once you picked out the artist, tell them your idea and have them design it. If u want color I recommend bez @ triple six studios.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

From what I can see from the galleries online, I don’t think Bez has any capabilities to do this. You need an artist that extremely good at creating and drawing in that genre, and there is little/none of that visible.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck, keep us posted. (send photos when done)

marmottoo
    Participant
    @marmottoo

Thanks for the feedback Arni….I do realise I’m going into this with high expectations, but with only one back to give I’d rather take my time and find the right person than settle for something less than ideal just because it’s convenient. I might find myself regretting that convenient option for years to come! Ideally it’d be somewhere close to home, but thinking about what you say I guess I should just work on finding the right artist and see where that leads me. So, broadening the geographic scale, any suggestions? !!

marmottoo
    Participant
    @marmottoo

Hey Peter,

I was looking at your back piece just the other night. You have some awesome work there…! Anyone in the world class bracket you’d recommend for what I have in mind?

marmottoo
    Participant
    @marmottoo

Thanks Yoda, I guess I was mostly aiming to give an indication of the content and style I had in mind so that people were able to make informed suggestions on possible artists, but you make a good point about not asking for random design pointers, it should be something between myself and the artist. Tbh I’m pretty happy with the general concept and elements I’ve outlined, and it feels like the next stage for me should be to find the artist to flesh out my ideas…..any and all advice very much appreciated though, I do appreciate you guys taking the time to respond 😉

cascade505
    @

Welcome and good luck! 🙂 Keep us updated.

newdragon
    Participant
    @newdragon

Welcome to the tattoo world. Goodluck with your back piece.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@ArniVidar 122917 wrote:

From what I can see from the galleries online, I don’t think Bez has any capabilities to do this. You need an artist that extremely good at creating and drawing in that genre, and there is little/none of that visible.

Trust me bez can do this.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@marmottoo 122951 wrote:

Hey Peter,

I was looking at your back piece just the other night. You have some awesome work there…! Anyone in the world class bracket you’d recommend for what I have in mind?

Thanks mate 🙂

There are so many great artists and obviously I can only name the ones that I have come across myself. There are many more 🙂

Dmitriy Samohin
    Domantas Parvainis
    Florian Karg
    Buena vista
    Silvano Fiato
    Carlos Tores
    Nikko Hurtado
    Carl Löfqvist
    Matteo Pasqualin
    Rich Pineda
    Mario Hartmann
    John Anderton
    Xavi Garcia
    Jun cha
    Victor Portugal

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@yodaddynukka 123008 wrote:

Trust me bez can do this.

I see no evidence of that anywhere. Could you direct me to some place that shows that he can actually create realistic fantasy?

marmottoo
    Participant
    @marmottoo

Thanks for the names guys, has opened my eyes to what’s out there…..much appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.