jose408
Participant
@jose408

Hi was up guys new to this forum i just started getting into tattoos when i saw this amazing guy with one across his chest… and i been thinking of getting one but i have to choose one that really means something to me. I live in San Jose, Ca and just turn 19. I am a bodybuilder Natural hahah but if you guys have any questions hit me up.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

Welcome to the forum man

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

welcome to the forum

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

welcome to the forum

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Welcome to the forum. When are you thinking about getting your tattoo? What ideas do you have so far that you are considering? 🙂

jose408
Participant
@jose408

Hey i am trying to get this tattoo but i cant seem to find the real design to it or name.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/chinesedragon.jpg/

Funk
Participant
@funk

Welcome, why don’t you just take that picture in to your artist as a reference and have him draw something up for you?

jose408
Participant
@jose408

do you know how much a person would charge for a drawing like that

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Most artists will charge a deposit to start your artwork (the amount of trhe deposit will go toward your tattoo cost, so its not a waste unless you walk). All artists are different here. Mine last summer charged a $60 deposit, but for larger work at premium shops, three figures is not unheard of.

Thats a fairly common Japanese style tatto, and the bay area has some awesome japanese tattoo artists from what I’ve heard. Ask around for a few references, look online at some portfolios, you can even ask for some referrals right here. Once you pick a shop or two, go in or make an appointment, meet the artist, tell them what you want, and see what they say. This peson is going to put a very large and expensive piece of non-removable art on your body forever. You’ll want to be on the same page with this person and make sure you two have the same vision for your artwork.

Two bits of advice:

1. You get what you pay for. Want a crappy tattoo? Go cheap. Want something that will blow your friends away? Be ready to pay. This is going to be on you for life, do it right and don’t skimp.
2. Find an artist who’s work you really like and who understands what you want. Don’t just go in and say “I want a dragon”. A good artist will work with you to create something you will love and be proud of. Don’t be afraid to be picky. Get it right or don’t get it at all.

Good luck with it! A big piece right out of the gate will be an experience to remember, that’s for sure! And make sure you post pics when you’re done or we’ll hunt you down!

And welcome!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
Briscogun;102740 wrote:
Most artists will charge a deposit to start your artwork (the amount of trhe deposit will go toward your tattoo cost, so its not a waste unless you walk). All artists are different here. Mine last summer charged a $60 deposit, but for larger work at premium shops, three figures is not unheard of.

Thats a fairly common Japanese style tatto, and the bay area has some awesome japanese tattoo artists from what I’ve heard. Ask around for a few references, look online at some portfolios, you can even ask for some referrals right here. Once you pick a shop or two, go in or make an appointment, meet the artist, tell them what you want, and see what they say. This peson is going to put a very large and expensive piece of non-removable art on your body forever. You’ll want to be on the same page with this person and make sure you two have the same vision for your artwork.

Two bits of advice:

1. You get what you pay for. Want a crappy tattoo? Go cheap. Want something that will blow your friends away? Be ready to pay. This is going to be on you for life, do it right and don’t skimp.
2. Find an artist who’s work you really like and who understands what you want. Don’t just go in and say “I want a dragon”. A good artist will work with you to create something you will love and be proud of. Don’t be afraid to be picky. Get it right or don’t get it at all.

Good luck with it! A big piece right out of the gate will be an experience to remember, that’s for sure! And make sure you post pics when you’re done or we’ll hunt you down!

And welcome!

Excellent advice, Brisco, however, that is a Chinese Dragon, not a Japanese. HUGE difference. Having said this, I have seen MUCH better Chinese dragons, and if you can find an artist who is skilled in this style, what he can come up with will make you cream your pants compared to that piece. Not that it’s bad, just not incredible. Good luck, bro, and keep us posted.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

hi, welcome to the forum! just do your homework and you’ll be fine 😉 x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.