maori_man
Participant
@maori_man
Feeq;98730 wrote:
New to the forums and have been browsing for tattoo ideas, dunno how I’m gonna ask my parents or even bring up the subject because my dad has one he regrets. But I want a symbolic one that represents who I am and I want one to tribute the hard life my dad has had and the struggles he’s been in.

THANKS 🙂

Nice one! think carefully about what you want don’t rush into it

maori_man
Participant
@maori_man

I remember when i wanted my first tatt i asked my mom and she said wait till your 18 that was when i was 16 so i did as i was told.. waited painstakingly for 2 years then on my birthday she asked me what i wanted so i said a tattoo she said wait till i’m 21 because i still needed to grow up and mature into a man??? so again i listned she is my mom after all! Got to 21 and i said i’m having it done and she said wait till im 25 then i can deffo have it done, i think she realised that nothing was going to change my mind i was having it done regardless! so at 21 i had my first polynesian tattoo and from there on in its just grown! But the great thing was i had all those years to come up with something that i really wanted! dont rush take your time.

maori_man
Participant
@maori_man
Feeq;98730 wrote:
New to the forums and have been browsing for tattoo ideas, dunno how I’m gonna ask my parents or even bring up the subject because my dad has one he regrets. But I want a symbolic one that represents who I am and I want one to tribute the hard life my dad has had and the struggles he’s been in.

THANKS 🙂

Have you though about what you want?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Welcome to the forum 🙂 When you are 18 it has nothing to do with your parents. My dad despises tattoo’s but he can fuck off if he think’s im not doing stuff because he doesn’t like it 🙂

Don’t let anybody put you off, you don’t need to ask for permission just get it done matey 🙂

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Wardy;98834 wrote:
Welcome to the forum 🙂 When you are 18 it has nothing to do with your parents. My dad despises tattoo’s but he can fuck off if he think’s im not doing stuff because he doesn’t like it 🙂

Don’t let anybody put you off, you don’t need to ask for permission just get it done matey 🙂

Well, waiting until he’s 18 will at least ensure that he can get a good artist to do the work. No reputable artist is going to ink a minor without parental consent and many won’t even do it with parental consent.

Now when he’s 18, he surely has the legal right to do whatever he pleases. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should though. No one can stop me from blowing my next paycheck on a cocaine-fueled orgy with a bunch of strippers, but that doesn’t mean I should do it. At some point, you have to learn to resist your impulses b/c there are consequences to all of them.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
D3FiANC3;98847 wrote:
Well, waiting until he’s 18 will at least ensure that he can get a good artist to do the work. No reputable artist is going to ink a minor without parental consent and many won’t even do it with parental consent.

Now when he’s 18, he surely has the legal right to do whatever he pleases. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should though. No one can stop me from blowing my next paycheck on a cocaine-fueled orgy with a bunch of strippers, but that doesn’t mean I should do it. At some point, you have to learn to resist your impulses b/c there are consequences to all of them.

Fair point. But that example is a bit more extreme than a tattoo if you ask me. You can’t not do something you really want to do just because your parents might not agree. They can’t expect there kid’s to be the exact same as they are. My dad really doesn’t like tattoo but he’s learnt to accept them.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Wardy;98851 wrote:
You can’t not do something you really want to do just because your parents might not agree. They can’t expect there kid’s to be the exact same as they are. My dad really doesn’t like tattoo but he’s learnt to accept them.

I wasn’t saying that at all. At that age, we all act impulsively and although you don’t believe it, the odds that an 18-19 year old will someday seriously regret getting a full sleeve, neck tat, hand tat, etc. are excellent. This is obviously not such an extreme situation, but the odds of getting quality ink at 16 is virtually nil and so the chances of regret there are very high.

I know you are convinced that you will never have any regrets and should follow every impulse, but that’s the inexperience of youth talking. Someday you may be the primary breadwinner with a family dependent upon you to provide for them. If you are limited to a low paying job because you decided to get your hands or neck inked up, you will certainly regret it.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
D3FiANC3;98853 wrote:
I wasn’t saying that at all. At that age, we all act impulsively and although you don’t believe it, the odds that an 18-19 year old will someday seriously regret getting a full sleeve, neck tat, hand tat, etc. are excellent. This is obviously not such an extreme situation, but the odds of getting quality ink at 16 is virtually nil and so the chances of regret there are very high.

I know you are convinced that you will never have any regrets and should follow every impulse, but that’s the inexperience of youth talking. Someday you may be the primary breadwinner with a family dependent upon you to provide for them. If you are limited to a low paying job because you decided to get your hands or neck inked up, you will certainly regret it.

I can understand what you are saying about quality Ink at a young age because no artist will touch them. I didn’t know weather you was targeting me about the job situation i have nothing to worry about a job as my dad own’s he’s own company and i work for him and am 2nd in charge 🙂

I know it’s kind of bad saying it that way as I’ve not really done anything for myself but oh well’s 😀

Amok
Participant
@amok
Wardy;98854 wrote:
I can understand what you are saying about quality Ink at a young age because no artist will touch them. I didn’t know weather you was targeting me about the job situation i have nothing to worry about a job as my dad own’s he’s own company and i work for him and am 2nd in charge 🙂

I know it’s kind of bad saying it that way as I’ve not really done anything for myself but oh well’s 😀

Nothing wrong with that bro, good on you for keeping the family business going I reckon.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Amok;98857 wrote:
Nothing wrong with that bro, good on you for keeping the family business going I reckon.

I agree. One of my m8s from high school inherited his father’s custom shirt shop in New York City (all he had to do was graduate college). SoB is clearing over $1 mil a year now and regularly posting pics of the celebs that come into his shop on FB. I wish I had a family business!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
D3FiANC3;98859 wrote:
I agree. One of my m8s from high school inherited his father’s custom shirt shop in New York City (all he had to do was graduate college). SoB is clearing over $1 mil a year now and regularly posting pics of the celebs that come into his shop on FB. I wish I had a family business!

:O thank’s guys really mean’s a lot. I get a lot of stick from other people saying how i haven’t work’d for anything and got stuff handed to me on a plate 🙂 Nice to here some positive comment’s about it

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
mrchen;98750 wrote:
I was told that if I had a great tattoo idea to wait 6 months and see if it was still a good idea……………..you know what……….half the time after 6 months you would not get that piece tattooed, why?……….because we are impulsive creatures………tattooes are for freakin ever, not to be done on impulse……..think, plan, think some more, things work out alot better in the long run

*clap clap clap* Amen! I got my first when I was 17. I don’t regret getting it at all…. it was an experience and it expressed who I was at the time. Right now, I wish I’d gotten something else. Something that would have had more meaning throughout the rest of my life, or no meaning at all but a better piece.

The 6 month rule is a good one! I actually decided on a 3 month rule. I’ve wanted a tattoo for several years…. but nothing I thought I wanted ever stuck long enough to actually book the appointment. I finally found something that did, and then had to wait 7 months for the appointment. I’m glad I waited because it gave me time to realize what part of the concept was important to me, and what parts I was over-thinking. By the time I walked into the appointment, I had sent some loose general guidelines on what I was looking for and allowed the artist a lot of freedom to do what he knows will work.

I’ve also learned through this forum that there’s a few processes to getting a decent tattoo. When I was 17, I had no idea what that was. So… welcome, and at least you’re doing some “homework” before getting inked. Please keep your mind open to the advice and think long and hard before getting something permanent.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.