cblackwe93
Participant
@cblackwe93

Hello!

I am interested in getting my first tattoo, however, I am not sure what exactly to get, I have no idea frankly. I am not opposed to something big, however, I would like it to be coverable. I like the Japanese art looking tattoos, but I am open to any and all options.

Please advise!

Pictures would be nice too!

Thanks all!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You are nowhere NEAR ready to be getting a tattoo.

cblackwe93
Participant
@cblackwe93

And why is that

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Because for one, you are only 18 and although the law may indicate that people at 18 are fully rational, the sad fact is that most people that get tattooed at that age live to regret it later.

And secondly, if you have no clue what you want, then you are not ready. You are ready when YOU KNOW that you want X thing or Y thing.

You’ve discovered that you might like a tattoo, great for you. But it may take you years yet to actually find something that you will be comfortable with wearing on your skin for the next 70 years.

cblackwe93
Participant
@cblackwe93

For one, I am not 18. I am 19 going on 20 next month. I am a junior at a university and am on a good path for.success. so while I appreciate your fatherly advice, I have my own so save yours for your own children. Thanks. The post did not say “Tattoo ideas!!! I’m gonna get the first one anyome suggests!” I am simply looking for ideas and inspiration for the future. Thanks “dad”

ArniVidar
@arnividar

18, 19.. no difference. Doesn’t change the fact that you’re not ready, and wouldn’t even if you were 25.

If you want someone to give you an idea, that someone needs to know you and know what you like and don’t like. I can tell you to go ahead and get a full sleeve bio-mechanical piece and the next guy can tell you to get a full back-piece Japanese themed dragon, geisha, water and all. Yet another person can tell you to get your name in Kanji on your ass. But all of that would be completely pointless because you have no idea what you want. Go to DeviantArt, use Google, read tattoo magazines, watch TLC’s Ink shows… SEE actual tattoos and make up your mind what invokes emotions in you. Once you’ve actually managed to find a direction you want to head in, then (and only then) are you ready to ask people to extrapolate and brainstorm and give ideas and generally be in any way helpful in your decision.

P.S: Don’t ask for advise on the internet if you can’t hear anything negative. If that’s the case, ask people to pat you on the back and only be positive. It’s much better to just get things out in the open right up front. Saves a lot of trouble down the line.

And you’re quite welcome, “son”.

cblackwe93
Participant
@cblackwe93

OK well i don’t really appreciate the condescending comments. I am completely fine with negative/creative feedback, I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with people who like to pretend they know everything and anything about everyone. I don’t expect to have someone suggest something to me and it be the tattoo I get, as I have said 3 times, I am simply looking for inspiration. When it comes down to making the actual decision, that is when I will be relying on the people that are closet to me to help with the initial decision making. While I appreciate your constructive criticism, I would appreciate if you could quit it with with the condescending remarks and connotations. Its really starting to get old. If you would like to provide me with advice (which you have already given your fair share) it is fine. If you have any positive, or constructively negative advice I will welcome it will open arms. Otherwise, please take your fatherly advice else where, or to your local high school where the misfits and delinquents might actually need it.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Arni has given you some good advice, albeit in a direct manner 🙂

For example, when I decided I wanted a tattoo, I thought about it for a couple years, then I found a design that I wanted, then thought about it for 2 more years. I still wanted that particular tattoo so I got it.

I’m not suggesting you wait that long, but you said you like Japanese art. So lookup japanese tattoos on google, bing, deviantart and good tattoo artists websites. Take your time researching and just don’t rush into it. Eventually you’ll find something you like.

PS Japanese tattoos have a lot of meaning behind them. I suggest going to wikipedia and looking up the meaning of dragons, phoenix, koi, hannya and oni masks, etc etc. You might find something that suits you and you can go from there.

But don’t stop researching there, look into different styles as well (biomech, popart etc). Eventually you’ll find the design you’re after. Good luck

maeve
@

Hey, I totally understand your predicament. My advice is to wait and be patient. Look at artwork at tattoo shops and look online until you find something that is really meaningful to you. I understand the desire to have a tattoo, but believe me, you’ll be so much happier in the long run if you wait until you find exactly what you want. Sorry this post isnt exactly what you asked for – I’m not making a specific suggestion. But tattoos are personal and should be meaningful to the person wearing the art. Peace.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Get a zombie monkey wearing a shriners hat ridding a unicycle juggling beer bottles and wearing swimming fins.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
cblackwe93;91049 wrote:
For one, I am not 18. I am 19 going on 20 next month. I am a junior at a university and am on a good path for.success. so while I appreciate your fatherly advice, I have my own so save yours for your own children. Thanks. The post did not say “Tattoo ideas!!! I’m gonna get the first one anyome suggests!” I am simply looking for ideas and inspiration for the future. Thanks “dad”

another person who can’t take a honest experienced opinion.

Grow up dickhead.

Ink Nation
Participant
@ink-nation

Dude, Listen and read what these people say. Put some thought into it and don’t make a rash decision to get one straight away. Ask yourself some of these questions……good luck.

Do I really want to get a tattoo that will most likely remain with me the rest of my life?

Will I feel the same way about my tattoo in 5 years time as I do now?

Will I regret it in the future?

Which part of my body do I want to get tattooed?

What sort of design do I want out of the thousands that are possible?

Does it hurt getting a tattoo and is it safe to get one?

How do I take care of my tattoo in the future?

Will the tattoo I get affect my employment opportunities in the future?

What will my loved ones think of me getting a tattoo?

What is a good tattoo parlour and which is a bad one?

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
Ink Nation;91101 wrote:
Dude, Listen and read what these people say. Put some thought into it and don’t make a rash decision to get one straight away. Ask yourself some of these questions……good luck.

Do I really want to get a tattoo that will most likely remain with me the rest of my life?

Will I feel the same way about my tattoo in 5 years time as I do now?

Will I regret it in the future?

Which part of my body do I want to get tattooed?

What sort of design do I want out of the thousands that are possible?

Does it hurt getting a tattoo and is it safe to get one?

How do I take care of my tattoo in the future?

Will the tattoo I get affect my employment opportunities in the future?

What will my loved ones think of me getting a tattoo?

What is a good tattoo parlour and which is a bad one?

All wonderful advice besides the loved ones bit. If ANYONE isn’t happy with me getting a tattoo, TOO FUCKING BAD! I might take my wife’s opinions into consideration, but I doubt this guy is married. As for the original poster of this thread, dude, I know you think you’re almost 20 and know everything you need to know about life, the universe, and everything, but we were all 19 at one time, most of us got tattoos because, just like you, we had no idea what we wanted, just wanted a tattoo, and now have some shit we don’t want and are a bit embarrassed about. I was going to give you pretty much the exact same advice as Arni. He wasn’t trying to treat you like a child, certainly wasn’t trying to say you’re too young to get a tattoo, he is the man who created this forum and he knows that anyone who has no idea what he wants is in no position to even think about beginning the process. Sorry that you didn’t get the advice you were looking for, but all of us who have commented here have tattoos and we all know what happens when you get ink
just because you want a tattoo. If all you want to hear is “This would be an awesome tattoo” then I suggest YOU go to YOUR local high school and ask all of the potheads there. I’m sure they can give you hundreds of tattoo ideas. If you want real advice from people with real life experience, then welcome, and we’re all glad to help.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Dave Van;91114 wrote:
he is the man who created this forum

Hey Dave. Just wanted to clarify that I am just a moderator here. I think it was TurboSatan that created it 🙂

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

I see. Well you are certainly the most active here. My bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.