AnnaKRSJT
@

Hey, my name is Anna, I’m 27 and from Utah and planning on getting my first tatt the week after next. So not really an enthusiast I guess but plan to get there. 🙂 Anyway – I’m full of questions and both excited and nervous. This is something I’ve wanted for awhile and the tatt I’m planning on getting is meaningful so I’m positive I won’t regret it. I’m planning on getting a shooting star on my left shoulder with the names of the 5 little girls I teach at church (I love them like they are my own). I’m psyched. 🙂 But I have a few questions too – first of all, is it true that across your shoulder doesn’t hurt hardly at all? I’m pretty tough – so even if it does hurt more than I’m anticipating I am determined not to flinch…but I’m just wondering if rumor is true that it is one of the “least painful” spots. Second question – in your opinion, are star tatts lame? That’s what I want – but the friends I have who have been inked multiple times are telling me stars are lame and to go another direction. So I’m just wondering what you all think. Last – any tips for the day I go to get it? TIA – and I’m excited to finally have my ink and show it off whether I get a star or something else.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Well, the upper back wasn’t especially sensitive for me…but I don’t have work in the shoulder area.
Either way; if you are (as you seem) confident that your pain tolerance is high enough to withstand a tattoo…I’m sure it very much is.
Tattoos are not ALL that bad pain-wise.
I find the first 5-10 minutes to be painful…and it tends to give me a bit of dread for the coming hours.
But before you know it…your endorphins kick in, and it is NOT bad at all.
Once you hit the 3-4 hour mark…and your endorphins stop flowing…that’s when it’s the worst.
Judging by your description of the design, I’m assuming your tattoo will take…an hour maybe?
You’ll be fine.

Star tattoos are fairly common, but that doesn’t make them lame…
NAUTICAL stars…are way overdone. And are, indeed, lame. I doubt half of the recipients of such tattoos even realize the actual “nautical” part about them.

Tips:
Get plenty of sleep.
Eat a meal before you go in. This will prevent you from feeling faint or passing out during/after the tattoo.
And just in case, bring a sugary drink or a candy bar to keep your endorphins flowing.

I, personally, stress the sleep part…
Working graveyards, most of my sessions start after already being awake for a full 24 hours…
Your body does not like being tattooed under such stresses. It hurts a lot worse.
The times that I have slept…75% better experience.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Depending on the desin, stars can be very unique and I don’t consider them lame. I don’t have a star, but i do have a compass rose.
My suggestion is to avoid the “name” thing. I can understand that you have big feelings for the ones you teach, but what happens in 5 years when you’ve been teaching for a while? You could end up with your whole back covered with names of kids you taught. Just a thought.

tatlover2
Participant
@tatlover2

First off, welcome to the forum. It great that you are getting your first tat done that means a lot to you. My only question is do you have a design drawn out first before going to get it done. Maybe you could show it us first and we all can give you our opinions on it. Anyway, glad to have you on board.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.