rap214
Participant
@rap214

Name’s Ryan. Been seriously thinking bout getting some tattoos for as long as I can remember but before I do anything drastic I figure I better educate myself a bit ya know. What better place to do that than here? Hope this is the start of a fun journey… wow that sounds corny!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Pretty corny, indeed. But welcome to the forum and I wish that I had found this place before my first tat. What are you thinking of getting?

rap214
Participant
@rap214

There are two tattoos I want to get. A celtic cross on my right shoulder but that won’t be happening for a while, I have a checklist of stuff I have to do before I allow myself to get that one. The one that I want crazy bad is my family motto, Fideli Certa Merces (To the faithful reward is certain) down the inside of my left forearm. The only thing holding me back is having a tattoo that visible when it comes to jobs and interviews and such ๐Ÿ™ Any thoughts?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Well, Depends on what you want to do in life. I have lower arm tattoos and I’m a sales guy for the semiconductor industry- I have to look somewhat conservative at work. Most of the people I work with have no idea I’m inked because I always wear a button down shirt with long sleeves. I make sure I buy nice clothes and add some french cuffs every once in a while. I’ve been actually complimented by management on exceeding the level of dress according to the code and I have been named as one of the most stylish people in the office by my peers.

You can look at it as hiding a tat or you can look at it as an opportunity to make yourself look better while hiding a tat.

rap214
Participant
@rap214

Hmm I like that mindset. Still the problem with me is I’m most likely going to be going into the field of mental health… psych major with emphasis on neuroanatomy… So I’m still on the fence. I don’t want to go to school for like 7-8 years and then end up with nothing because I have a visible tattoo. Pls keep the advice coming yall!

rap214
Participant
@rap214

impatient bump ha

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey ๐Ÿ™‚

First, awe that you actually say your motto in latin. I think the best my family does is ‘try your best and that’s all that counts.’

My tattoo is more visible than I anticipated but it’s still only on my foot. And not much bigger than a 50p/dollar (trying to be international here!) So for me, problems with a job would be a pretty big indication that the place was stuffy and ridiculous and I didnt want to work there.

Yours would be a bit more obvious though. I really admire Gsouder’s mindset as well. It is much easier for guys because you pretty much wear the same thing to work everyday, in a variety of colours. It wouldnt be weird for you to wear a long sleeve shirt every day, whereas girls have to be more selective.

I think there are three main options:

1. Wait till you’ve finished studying, and got a job. Once you’re comfortable, get it.
2. Get it somewhere else on the body that is more easily covered.
3. Get it, and make the dedication to wearing long sleeved things for work. Even if you do really need to wear short sleeves every now and then, there are options of concealers. I was looking into it because i was hiding mine from my parents as long as possible (that fell flat) There’s lots of quality makes that do a tattoo concealer, and I ALSO saw on ebay a really good company. You know those transfer tattoos you used to use when little so you could pretend you had a real one? Well this company does transfers of skin colour, so you transfer over your tattoo. I’m not saying this is what you’d want to do, I’m just showing there are options.

It depends how likely you are to have problems, or what you’re required to wear. Why don’t you see if there’s forum for people in your line of work and ask them about whether they have any tattoos or what they do about it?

Poesy

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Seriously people, this is 2010. I’m a design drafter for an engineering firm and work in an office. I have a few people here in the office that sport tattoos. I have a sleeve that shows whenever I wear short sleeves and there is also a girl here that has way more visable tattoos than mine (arms, neck, hands). Tattoos are becoming so main stream that I can’t imagine anyone having a problem with your ink (unless its very graphic, violent, sexual). I still have the option to cover my shit if need be, but there has never been a need.
People who haven’t got a tattoo yet are always worried about what others think, once you get a couple, it just dosen’t bother you anymore.
Don’t get me wrong, I would probably cover my arm if I was interviewing for a job, but the first day of work I would let it fly. This is probably the reason I haven’t got my neck tattooed.
Bottom line is most ink can be covered, but chances are you won’t need to.

rap214
Participant
@rap214

Thanks for the feedback yall. I think I’m gonna end up getting this tattoo thanks to yalls feedback. I’ll give myself till the end of the month until I make a final decision… Well it also helps that I get paid at the end of the month haha. Still would love to hear any advice that anybody is willing to toss my way.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

My boyfriend works at Intel and has a half sleeve, wears shorts and flip flops to work. No one cares. I work at a large software company and people sport tattoos everywhere. I get coffee at Starbucks everyday and see tons of office workers with tattoos. I see girls working at Nordstrom with half sleeves all the time. Tons of girls at the MAC counter have them too.

I think some places are becoming more relaxed about tattoos. It really just depends what your profession is and if you are willing to cover your tattoo for your job. Thankfully I work at home most of the time so it doesn’t matter but I am still cautious about where I get my tattoos in case I need to change profession.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
xxTOPDOGxx;71397 wrote:
I’m a design drafter for an engineering firm and work in an office.

Oy, me too ๐Ÿ˜€

rap214: You say you’re going for neuroanatomy. Why should that tat ever be seen in that field? You doctors love your lab coats ๐Ÿ˜€

rap214
Participant
@rap214

Hah, It’s actually not a lab coat kinda thing, weird cause I thought so too originally. Place I’m interning at, people there rock flip flops and jeans and stuff… but I’m yet to see a tattoo ๐Ÿ™ I’ll keep my eyes open though!!

tattoo johnny
Participant
@tattoo-johnny

howdy, glad to have u around the forum mate!

Poesy
Participant
@poesy
rap214;71434 wrote:
Hah, It’s actually not a lab coat kinda thing, weird cause I thought so too originally. Place I’m interning at, people there rock flip flops and jeans and stuff… but I’m yet to see a tattoo ๐Ÿ™ I’ll keep my eyes open though!!

If they can wear jeans and flip flops, I somehow doubt that a tattoo in latin would be that risque

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.