ironhead
Participant
@ironhead

Hi,

I’m looking to get a tattoo on the back of my head to conceal a thin scar. Not an actual tattoo but tiny dots to make it appear like stubble to blend in with my shaved head. There is a tattoo shop in Florida that specializes in this but I won’t give the name or link here because I don’t want to be accused of spamming.

Anyway, some tattooists have told me it’s not a problem and some others have said not to do it. So I’m wondering what you guys/gals think? I’m hearing conflicting information that is could turn blue/green or the ink could “leak” under the skin and cause the tiny dots to get bigger. I looked into permanent makeup to get it covered but that is only temporary. I prefer the tattoo method because it’s permanent. Just wondering what the expert here think? Thanks.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

yes, it is definitely doable. the only thing i would worry about it how well the ink in the dots is going to hold, because it doesnt tend to like to stay in scar tissue as well as it would “unharmed” skin. scar tissues tend to reject the ink.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

Your kidding, right? Lets see a pic of this scar. Most guys aren’t that vane and scars look cool.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
xxTOPDOGxx;68105 wrote:
Your kidding, right? Lets see a pic of this scar. Most guys aren’t that vane and scars look cool.

I agree! Scars are COOL! Unless you got it doing something really gay like male on male figure skating. Even if you did you could lie about it- just say you were fending off a gang of bullies protecting the retard from your high school.

I don’t know you or your situation. Personally, I think you should learn to accept who you are. Will the tattoo work? maybe, maybe not, maybe it will end up looking like a bunch of ridiculous off-round dots on your head. No matter what that scar is going to be there and it’s a part of your life. Embrace it!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In answer to your question it is more than possible to have a tattoo help disguise a scar.

That said here are the following issues;

1. The tattoo pigment will only help disguise not eradicate the scar. The tissue is damaged so all you are doing is putting a surface mask to draw attention away from the scar.

It will not smooth out skin and the scar will usually be detectable on very close examination – depending on the severity of it.

2. Tissue damage. The scar tissue is a much harder layers of skin which have formed to protect the damaged area.

Tattoo pigment is held in place by forming pockets of scar tissue to hold it in place.

Since the body tries to wash the foreign body from the skin (tattoo ink) it over years breaks down the scar tissue barriers as our cells degenerate (also with age) which means that the ink can blur and fade.

3. If tattooing over a scar there is a higher risk of rejection and leakage. This depends on the depth and type of scar. Most scars are tattooable but results can vary.

4. As you get older your hair will grey or you may become bald. Whilst your ink may fade it will always be darker than your aging hair.

Hope that helps.

Take Care
Matthew

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

How on earth is he being vain compared to people who get a tattoo for pure self adornment?!

I’m not saying tattoos are vain, obviously, but I dont see how getting one to cover something you dont like is therefore vain?

Why don’t you go for the semi permanent make up? Seems a safer option. Although it may be inconvenient if you need to redo it, at least if you dont like the effect and it’ll fade. As matthew said, if you bald/grey you might not want it there any more?

Good luck getting it sorted!

ironhead
Participant
@ironhead

I want to thank those who took the time to give me feedback. And the dude that called me “vain” for wanting to cover of something that I don’t like you need not worry man, I would not go to your shop anyway. Sure, scars are cool and I have many of them on my body. The one on the back of my head is not cool, looks like I had brain surgery or something. See a sample pic at http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/ironmozart/photos/?action=view&current=1.jpg (not me but about same size scar I have)

Nonetheless, thanks for the info.

Anyone in Mass, RI or CT want to take a look I’ll be happy to go to your shop for a quote.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.