ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore

I’ve always wanted a tattoo, but my only problem was I couldn’t decide on a design nor placement. (Ha- aren’t those the two most important aspects?). Now that I’ve decided on both a design and placement, I want to learn all I can about the process and healing before I get it. I’ve decided to get a tattoo next year to commemorate graduating for college May 2011. Also I’m black and surprisingly finding pictures and information about tattoos for people of color is pretty hard, but I figure a general tattoo forum is the best place to start, so here I am.

Nice meeting all of you,

*TPS*

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

hi ,

they is a couple of groups on flickr for black people with tattoo’s . failing that you could google some famous footballers and rappers .
you want to look up posts done here by matthew as he is the guy to ask about healing and looking after your tattoo ๐Ÿ˜‰

do you still not know what you want done yet then ??

Tana

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
Butterfly;67048 wrote:
hi ,

they is a couple of groups on flickr for black people with tattoo’s . failing that you could google some famous footballers and rappers .
you want to look up posts done here by matthew as he is the guy to ask about healing and looking after your tattoo ๐Ÿ˜‰

do you still not know what you want done yet then ??

Tana

I know what I want. I want a very whimsical hummingbird with alis volat propriis written underneath it. I was randomly searching for pictures of hummingbirds and found this picture: th_Picture6-4.png I know that I could never get those colors in a tattoo given my skin tone, but I would love a detailed black rendering of this bird. (similar to this) th_Picture7-2.png

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

some colour is possible , red canbe used .
it really depends on your skin tone like you said , love the design by the way .

i have to ask though , are you female or male ?

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
Butterfly;67054 wrote:
some colour is possible , red canbe used .
it really depends on your skin tone like you said , love the design by the way .

i have to ask though , are you female or male ?

Female. I want it on my shoulder blade. Now the only battle is finding a tattoo artist with experience with African American skin and who is great with detail.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

good otherwise the design would not have been right ๐Ÿ˜‰

where you from ? we have people from all over here that can hopefully point you in the right direction.
i know many artists here in sunny nottingham ๐Ÿ˜€

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
Butterfly;67059 wrote:
good otherwise the design would not have been right ๐Ÿ˜‰

where you from ? we have people from all over here that can hopefully point you in the right direction.
i know many artists here in sunny nottingham ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m from Atlanta, Georgia. I’m glad I’ve decided to get a tattoo a year from now, because I’m going to need the time to save up for the best! This is going to be an investment. lol

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i will ask around some friends for you ๐Ÿ™‚

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
Butterfly;67063 wrote:
i will ask around some friends for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks! I’m thinking about Miya Bailey from City of Ink in Atlanta, but from what I hear he’s a mini celeb, so I should probably make an appointment now haha ๐Ÿ™‚

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

cool design, and tattooing different skin tones is an interesting topic heh.

tell me what you find out i’m curious… ๐Ÿ™‚

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
ryannnnn;67066 wrote:
cool design, and tattooing different skin tones is an interesting topic heh.

tell me what you find out i’m curious… ๐Ÿ™‚

I definitely will share what I find.

I found this really informative interview with the guy I want to do my tattoo Miya Baliey. He is talking about the lack of diversity in the tattooing industry and the misconceptions about color. Its a cool video clip
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/culturesurfing/tag/atlanta-tattoo-arts-festival/

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi and welcome.

Awesome design btw – depending on your skin type deep red, deep blue, black, and sometimes purple (although tends to fade quite fast in sunlight) are good pigments to be used in tattooing darker skin tones.

Yellow is also an option but again it depends on the melanin.

For one of the most professional African-American tattoo artists check out http://www.blackplanet.com/teresa3d/ she is great and has done a lot of Afro-American tattoos.

I know it may mean travel but if it is on for life it is worth the experience of going.

Otherwise many artists who live in a multicultural city should have some experience of doing these types of tattoos.

Take Care
Matthew

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
Sherav;67114 wrote:
Hi and welcome.

Awesome design btw – depending on your skin type deep red, deep blue, black, and sometimes purple (although tends to fade quite fast in sunlight) are good pigments to be used in tattooing darker skin tones.

Yellow is also an option but again it depends on the melanin.

For one of the most professional African-American tattoo artists check out http://www.blackplanet.com/teresa3d/ she is great and has done a lot of Afro-American tattoos.

I know it may mean travel but if it is on for life it is worth the experience of going.

Otherwise many artists who live in a multicultural city should have some experience of doing these types of tattoos.

Take Care
Matthew

Yeah I think I found some good people in Atlanta.

X-pressive
Participant
@x-pressive

Interesting topic. In NZ here we have the Maori people. Their skin can be quite dark also. I have done alot of solid black tribal work on dark skin over the years. no matter what different black inks i have trialed. Once healed, 90% of the time will turn a green tinge. Sometimes almost a dark blue.
It had been applied in the same manner as any other client. All in all, it boils down to the pigmentation of the skin. Some colours will work…..And white is the best for highlighting black work on very dark skin i have found. Keen to see your outcome for sure. All the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

ThePerfectScore
Participant
@theperfectscore
X-pressive;67145 wrote:
Interesting topic. In NZ here we have the Maori people. Their skin can be quite dark also. I have done alot of solid black tribal work on dark skin over the years. no matter what different black inks i have trialed. Once healed, 90% of the time will turn a green tinge. Sometimes almost a dark blue.
It had been applied in the same manner as any other client. All in all, it boils down to the pigmentation of the skin. Some colours will work…..And white is the best for highlighting black work on very dark skin i have found. Keen to see your outcome for sure. All the best. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh very cool… I never thought about white to highlight the black work. I’m sorta interested in color since I’ve found some interesting colored tattoos on black skin by the artistic Miya Bailey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.